Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

is it blown or overheated???

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:08 am

ok so yesterday my cousin wanted to see my nwe system that i had.
its 2 12in Audiobahn subwoofers hooked up to a Kenwood 1000w amp.

anyways....i was playing it at a rather good volume, but nothing too intense and then out of nowhere i cant hear anything out of these woofers.

now on my amp there is a blue light, and a red light in the shape or a triangle.
well i checked it and the blue light was still on but the red light was off.

he said it was just overheated so to shut them off and let them cool off.
so i did, and today when i woke up i turned them on again and still its the blue light but no red light.

did they blow or what?????

here is a pic...
User posted image
ChevyCaprice9C1

Post Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:21 am

now i am no car audio expert, but is sound like your amp went into protection mode because of the red light. now is the blue light on the amp always on or did it just come on when this happen.
but usually if you blow an amp you can tell (from my experience) there is a nice burning electrical smell

as i said i am not a car audio expert so wait for someone else to chime in
H-Town

Post Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:31 am

that sounds right, i have had systems stop and the red light come on the amp, i just turned the radio off for alittle bit and everything worked again. You would know if the sopeaker was blown, the smell is terrible.
PwrRngr

Post Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:05 pm

Since you let it sit while you were sleeping I wouldn't think it's overheated. If it was, it should have come out of protection mode by now. Blowing an amp doesn't smell like blowing a speaker.
H-Town

Post Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:08 pm

i guess i should've paid alittle more attention to what he wrote. PwrRngr is correct, if it was overheated it would've worked this morning. You might want to check the actual channels, hook a sub up to one and then the other, see if either work. Unfortunatly if sounds like the amp is dead.
corvettecrazy

Post Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:26 pm

I would think getting the owners manual out and reading exactly what the lights mean would be the smartest thing to do.
Kevin_S

Post Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:35 pm

corvettecrazy wrote:
I would think getting the owners manual out and reading exactly what the lights mean would be the smartest thing to do.

User posted image
alienyoungjr

Post Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:00 pm

i know those amps. sell em all the time. the blue lights is just a blue lights. it means nothing more than glow.

the red is what you need to pay attention too. get the owners manual and see what the red light means.
knatebetz

Post Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:51 pm

make sure all the connections of wiring for power and ground are not touching.

also when i was hooking up a pair of subs in my car it went into safety everytime, but what was wrong with mine was that my friend had wired up a sub incorrect + to - and - to + make sure those are right as well.

just make sure connections are right.
BLAZER_97

Post Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:14 pm

usually wouldnt matter if sub was hooked up backwards, it would just sound like ****
knatebetz

Post Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:41 pm

mattered on mine, so don't leave it out of the question.
PwrRngr

Post Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:01 pm

BLAZER_97 wrote:
usually wouldnt matter if sub was hooked up backwards, it would just sound like ****

Actually, sometimes it sounds better. I will 100% guarantee that hooking a sub up backwards will NOT cause a problem (unless it DVC and you hook one up normal and one up backwards). It's actually a very common thing to do. All you're doing is hooking it up 180 degrees out of phase. Depending on location, this can sound better or worse.

Just like you can hook a resistor up forwards or backwards, you can do the same for a sub. After all, the only electrical component of a sub is a coil of wire that acts as a resistor.
DuzzleKid

Post Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:58 pm

ok. well ill check the owners manual about the red light.

ill get back to you guys....

i just hope this thing isnt dead!
DuzzleKid

Post Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:17 pm

ok so i checked the manual and the red light is the power indicator.
so pretty much its not getting power if its not on.

it also said it might be in protection mode.
and i unhooked it, and im gonna try again and hopefully it works.
Highland J

Post Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:19 am

.... protection mode, easy call... you cant blow the system if ur amps watts are lower then the RMS power of the subs so check that out and if ur clear there... its ur amp just going AII YIAII YIAIII!!! icon_eek.gif
corvettecrazy

Post Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:30 am

Highland J wrote:
.... protection mode, easy call... you cant blow the system if ur amps watts are lower then the RMS power of the subs so check that out and if ur clear there... its ur amp just going AII YIAII YIAIII!!! icon_eek.gif

Actually it is very easy to blow a sub with a dirty signal even if you are supplying an sub with less than its RMS power. Furthermore, you are much more likely to blow any speaker with a dirty signal or via distortion than by overpowering it.
PwrRngr

Post Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:16 am

Highland J wrote:

FAIL on many levels. Do not listen to this man for your speaker troubles.
Highland J

Post Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:35 am

icon_cry.gif im sorry, you are very correct corvettecrazy gimmie a freebie on this one it was like 1 in the morning when i posted and couldnt sleep
Pwrranger your just mean but also gimmie a freebie plz
PwrRngr

Post Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:44 am

Highland J wrote:
icon_cry.gif im sorry, you are very correct corvettecrazy gimmie a freebie on this one it was like 1 in the morning when i posted and couldnt sleep
Pwrranger your just mean but also gimmie a freebie plz

I'll give you a freebie and yes it was brutally simple. I simply call it like I see it, no sugar coating here.
Highland J

Post Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:56 am

haha that can be good tho! sometimes you need to hear it even tho its brutally honest...
thanks for the pass ttho lol
DuzzleKid

Post Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:00 pm

how do i bring it out of protection/safe mode???????
H-Town

Post Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:09 pm

refer to the book ... again, if that doesn't help you might need to contact kenwood.
knatebetz

Post Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:46 pm

make sure all connections are good and correctly placed.. if you bought the subs used (not sure if this is true) then 1 might be blown or about to blow, but don't take my word on this i just heard it somewhere don't have the actual experience of this happening to me.
DuzzleKid

Post Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:46 pm

well i called this car audio store here in town called AUDIO EXPRESS and they told me that if it doesnt turn on when i reconnect everything that it is more than likey finished.
ah!
BLAZER_97

Post Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:12 am

Well if its done, just send it my way. icon_biggrin.gif
H-Town

Post Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:25 am

you should ask around and find a place that repairs amps .. i still need to find one around houston to fix my memphis =\
Supergumby5000

Post Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:03 am

check for partially blown fuses.

Check for any shorts.

Get a DMM and see if your amp has any output at the channels.

From the sounds of it, you toasted a power supply or your output channels.

How did you set the gains on the amplifier? Did you use a DMM and set it by voltage or just turn the gain knob up?
PwrRngr

Post Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:33 am

^^^
I don't believe I've ever seen a partially blown fuse. How does one accomplish this task?
H-Town

Post Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:58 am

i can't say i have either .. from what ive ever seen, its either good or bad
BZinn1

Post Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:07 pm

The best way to never blow up subs and amps is to learn how to tune them using a DMM.....that way you can not put to much power out or get a dirty signal out.Unhook everything from battery back and hook all the RCAs and speaker outs back up.Turn off the bass boost,turn down the gain,it is not a volume knob.hook back up the remote wire,check your fuses,you can partially blow a fuse and still get voltage through it,just not the right voltage,goto ICIX forum and search on how to tune an amp and burn some tone disks,set stereo to flat levels on eq.......follow directions once power is back to amp from battery and if it is not blown you will have a perfect sounding amp that will work forever basically.
PwrRngr

Post Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:33 pm

BZinn1 wrote:
The best way to never blow up subs and amps is to learn how to tune them using a DMM.....that way you can not put to much power out or get a dirty signal out.Unhook everything from battery back and hook all the RCAs and speaker outs back up.Turn off the bass boost,turn down the gain,it is not a volume knob.hook back up the remote wire,check your fuses,you can partially blow a fuse and still get voltage through it,just not the right voltage,goto ICIX forum and search on how to tune an amp and burn some tone disks,set stereo to flat levels on eq.......follow directions once power is back to amp from battery and if it is not blown you will have a perfect sounding amp that will work forever basically.

I've NEVER heard or seen a partially blown fuse and I've done LOTS of electrical work. Pics or it doesn't exist.

The purpose of a fuse is that it's either good and not affecting the circuit or bad and completely stopping the circuit from working. A fuse doesn't have an in between good and blown.

Last edited by PwrRngr on Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total
02cougarman

Post Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:35 pm

pics or BAN!
projektmayhem

Post Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:46 pm

i have a similar problem. except the red light is on and the blue is not. connected the power wire and it sparked a little. chaznged both fuses to no avail.
02cougarman

Post Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:58 pm

actually now that i think about it my friends friend had a problem with this am. His kept on cutting out when he would turn it up. What size wiring are you guys using? he was using 8 gauge and upped it to a 4 gauge and it stopped the problem
projektmayhem

Post Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:08 pm

well i dont have the same amp i was just saying lol. im using 4 gague.
aznboiquyen

Post Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:34 pm

I have to ask, (This is why i hate--mixing sub woofer and amplifier brands) What is the Sub woofers RMS? and what is the ohm level of it?

Most likely if i know audiobahns (I used to have the Audiobahn Alum12Q--VERY NICE) it should be DVC at 4 ohms (mine is at 6 ohms) So you would bridge them into 1 ohm. I believe it is a parallel set up.

It sounds like your Subwoofers are draining the power from your amp. I would check into the RMS of each one.
BZinn1

Post Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:14 pm

PwrRngr wrote:
BZinn1 wrote:

I've NEVER heard or seen a partially blown fuse and I've done LOTS of electrical work. Pics or it doesn't exist.

The purpose of a fuse is that it's either good and not affecting the circuit or bad and completely stopping the circuit from working. A fuse doesn't have an in between good and blown.

A fuse can blow and transfer what is known as soft power to the end location.but it is unable to transfer any currant......it is basically a static transfer of the energy to the load......but no actual voltage.
PwrRngr

Post Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:58 am

BZinn1 wrote:
A fuse can blow and transfer what is known as soft power to the end location.but it is unable to transfer any currant......it is basically a static transfer of the energy to the load......but no actual voltage.

How is it transferring? Is it inductance or what are you trying to say? Please elaborate and don't be afraid to make it a technical explanation.
DuzzleKid

Post Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:27 pm

ok so i found out its not blown or broken or whatever.

all it was, was the this toggle switch i had hooked up to it to shut off the amp faster and what not. and it looks kool too. hehe

anyways, it was that switch. i dont know how but thats why it wasnt turning on. once i disconnected the wires from the switch and just back together normally it worked just fine. so now i just have to turn the subwoofers on from the faceplate of my radio rather than the switch i installed for it.
The time now is Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:09 pm
Page 1 of 1