Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

Wiring for a duck

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:37 pm

hey
ok...so i'm a noob at this stuff. i've hooked up 2 neons in my cab. the blue one is by cig lighter, and the other one i had to splice 2 wires together...now i need to know...
how do i hook up the duck? i'm getting one very soon and would like to hook it up asap. does it use a grounding wire or anything? and if so, where do i connect the ground wire to? i can get the postitive and negative just fine...
but i need help. thx in advance to all that help. biglaugh.gif

Jsw
steven_mckenz

Post Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:27 pm

(This may not be right, but I'm assuming it's like everything else I've experienced. If it is, then this is how it works:)

There should only be two cables comming out of Ozzie (or two places to connect a cable). All you need to do is run power from your fusebox to Ozzie in one spot, and run the wire from the other part of Ozzie to a grounding point on your car. A grounding point would basically be your framing of your car without any paint to it. Try to find a bolt somewhere that's being used and put a ring connector on your cable and then attaching it to the bolt and putting the bolt back in the hole. That should do it for you.

Oh, and this isn't exactly what your looking for, but if you by chance have a LED or something, run a powerline to the resistor/LED on the positive end. Then you can just touch the negative end around your car to all the metal spots and see when the LED lights up. When/If it does, that would be a usable spot for your Ozzie to be grounded. Hope it helps!

(One little side note:) I was just playing around with a LED just for kicks to see where all I could ground stuff for the heck of it, and I discovered that if I touched the negative of the LED to my keys in my ignition, they would light up! Lol. I never thought that I could ground something with my keys... It's kind of a scary because I've heard all those horror stories about powerlines falling on a car. I'm assuming that if you touched they keys when that happened, you'd go ZZZZZZZZZZZap? Sorry, I'm getting offtopic, but I thought it was interesting....

Anyway, hope I helped ya.
GoldenRod

Post Fri Mar 19, 2004 5:35 am

steven_mckenz wrote:

(One little side note:) I was just playing around with a LED just for kicks to see where all I could ground stuff for the heck of it, and I discovered that if I touched the negative of the LED to my keys in my ignition, they would light up! Lol. I never thought that I could ground something with my keys... It's kind of a scary because I've heard all those horror stories about powerlines falling on a car. I'm assuming that if you touched they keys when that happened, you'd go ZZZZZZZZZZZap? Sorry, I'm getting offtopic, but I thought it was interesting....

Anyway, hope I helped ya.

Electricity takes the path of least resistance, and on metal cars (Not sure if it applies as much to Corvettes and Saturns...), that path is along the outer shell of the car, so touching metal inside the car shouldn't cause any problems.... (Don't put high-voltage wires on your car to test this, though.... icon_eek.gif icon_lol.gif )

Most (but not all) metal in the car is attached to the rest of the metal in the car, so it is usually all grounded. Since the ignition switch is connected to a lot of electronics that start the car, it would make sense that it would be grounded.
Wootzah

Post Fri Mar 19, 2004 9:04 am

they! thx to the both of ya! wisdom flow through oznium!!!!!!!!! lol. unlike some other sites...*cough cough* sg.... icon_rolleyes.gif but thats ok. its still a great site. lol
ok...well thx again guys! biglaugh.gif much help!
The time now is Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:33 pm
Page 1 of 1