Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

my skull trailer hitch project.

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:09 pm

EDIT... look down to see finished product.

ok i bought some prewired 3MM leds and im curious what size resistor should i use on the led added to the existing wiring to dim the led? id like to wire up the leds dim for parking lights, and full bright for brake lights. i can simply use some diodes to keep the 2 power sources from feedback. id just like to know what the best additional resistor would be for these leds... and they are red leds from here.

thing is i have a skull trailer hitch that i plan on adding 3 of these leds to each eye. i want them to be full bright with the brake light and dim parking lights with the resistors... i can simply hook up 1 extra resistor to the 3 leds or a resistor for each led. not sure what would be best.

User posted image

User posted image

id just like to add a extra bit of a touch to my hitch cover i got. ;)
i plan on making each eye seperate with the proper turn signal and brake light which is very simple to wire up myself with some diodes BUT i got no idea what size resistor i should add to them for the dim parking light setting.

im going to put 3 leds per eye and posibly 3 point down onto the tongue to lite it up at night. ;)

i plan on drilling the holes for the leds tomorrow.

and yes i got a new truck now. no more old 95 truck and no more black 99 civic either. now its a 97 C1500 extended cab and my 96civic dx.

Last edited by addiction2bass on Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:12 pm, edited 2 times in total
corvettecrazy

Post Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:15 pm

addiction2bass

Post Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:22 pm

not what i need......

my leds are already prewired for brightest power.... id like to know what size resistor i need to DIM the leds so they are not BLINDINGLY BRIGHT. tho i dont think that will be a problem with the hitch cover being so low.
pgiordano

Post Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:24 pm

the greater the resistance the more extreme your brake lights will apear
addiction2bass

Post Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:34 pm

^ WHAT???? im not a resistor pro but im pretty sure that a resistor will make them dimmer...... not brighter
bad venge

Post Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:44 pm

Correct ...
heres what I'd do ... try different values to get the right "dim" look ... then take a relay and wire the contacts across the resistor then feed the relay with the brake power , when you step on the brake the contact "short" out the spare resistance and goes full bright
addiction2bass

Post Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:51 pm

well ive heard before that with the leds to dim it can hurt the leds lifespand... i dont want to burn them out to quick. just not sure.
bad venge

Post Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:08 pm

We need to know the specs of the led's to give specific values ... You can try a variable resistor to give you an approximate value...
Or do this insert a single led in each opening to the parking lights then two additional to the brake when you hit the brakes it will be much brighter
addiction2bass

Post Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:37 pm

no idea of specs......... https://www.oznium.com/led-bolts-prewired-leds/prewired-leds

only spare resistors i have right now are from my old green leds i bought from oznium years ago... i wired up 4 of them together which gave a pretty good dim to the led like i think id like... but i forgot where i put my resistor tester to see how much resistance i have so i can try to find a single resistor to wire instead of using so many of my resistors for each led.

and im still not sure if i can hook up all 3 leds to the one set of resistors or if i have to have a resistor on each led light itself.
needless to say to late to be screwen around with the resistors and leds anymore tonight.
ryan71489

Post Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:14 pm

im with venge on this one. his idea of one as a running light and the other 2 as brake sounds much easier
Aken

Post Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:18 pm

Honestly, why not just go to Radio Shack, buy a bundle of different sized resistors for like $4, and try them and see which one works best. Take a little initiative icon_biggrin.gif
Tat2Dragons

Post Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:04 am

addiction2bass wrote:
well ive heard before that with the leds to dim it can hurt the leds lifespand... i dont want to burn them out to quick. just not sure.

If anything it would probably make them last a bit longer,since they would be operating at lower voltage. icon_smile.gif
bad venge

Post Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:13 am

Too little resistance will shorten the life , as there will be excessive current to burn out the LED
too much resistance less current less brightness ...

If you PM Phill he might be able to give you the specs on the prewired, or get the value of the existing resistor then try adding 30% of the value and see the brightness then go more or less to suit
pgiordano

Post Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:04 am

addiction2bass wrote:
^ WHAT???? im not a resistor pro but im pretty sure that a resistor will make them dimmer...... not brighter

what i ment was the greater resistor u use the dimmer the running lights would be whitch would make the brake lights appear brighter... sorry
addiction2bass

Post Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:09 am

Aken wrote:
Honestly, why not just go to Radio Shack, buy a bundle of different sized resistors for like $4, and try them and see which one works best. Take a little initiative icon_biggrin.gif

i do have a huge pack of resistors but they are out in the shop somewhere... and well its a big shop and i cannt remember where i put them. icon_sad.gif
addiction2bass

Post Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:22 pm

ok well couldnt find my bag of resistors icon_sad.gif so had to go buy more.....

tho i can already tell id like afew more leds ;) mainly because my holes didnt drill straight so the 3 leds are not straight enough for me... so i need afew more leds.

and im not done doing the wiring yet but i got everything i need and have the leds glued in.
i just gotta find my solder gun now and ill solder the resistors and such up.

User posted image

tho not sure how im going to wire up the tongue leds. i might just keep them dim.
pgiordano

Post Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:56 pm

i would wire each eye for the blinkers and both eyes and the tounge for the brake lights and all dim for running lights
addiction2bass

Post Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:11 pm

o sorry forgot to update.

i have it wired for dim eyes and full tongue for parking lights.
and each eye full for turn signals and brake lights as well as the tongue full lite up.

i would have it installed on the truck now BUT i need to drill a hole in the back of the hitch since mines solid!
so only thing i need to do is drill a hole large enough for a few wires to go thru and then solder the wires. im using a disconnect harness from afew old cold cathode kits this way i can only drill a small hole thru the hitch and have a quick disconnect so i can still use the hitch for HAULING TRAILERS ;)
o ya heres the video of what it looks like now.

User posted image

i would have installed it a few days ago BUT i got my alpine flip out unit and spent the last 2 days installing it icon_smile.gif
pgiordano

Post Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:10 pm

u should hook up a strobe controller to your taillights and that skull
The time now is Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:16 pm
Page 1 of 1