Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

My retractable garage paintbooth thing.

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:23 am

The weather was super nice here today, so I got started on my spring project... a sort of retractable paintbooth for my garage.

Instead of just covering everything with plastic when I want to paint, and wasting all that plastic, I decided I'd build one that owuld let me get the car in position, lower it down, paint, lift it up, and move the car out. (the car's going to have to go in sideways... gonna get a set of those car dolly wheels that go under the wheels so oyu can roll it).

It's going to have the main square frame built as big as I can without needing to remove the majority of things (I already cleaned things out a lot to get space). Then there's going to be a curtain of plastic hung all the way around to the floor. Through the plastic at each corner I'm going to run a rope to a pulley, and then to a winch. For the frame on the bottom I'm going to use something reletively lightweight that'll just hold the shape overall... prolly thin plastic tubing or something, that's the only thing I didn't buy yet, because I was originally going to do wood, but realized going another orute would be better.

I bought 8 fluorescent light fixtures for it, too. Prbably 2 per long side, 1 per short side, and put the other two who knows where. I'll experiment as needed.

Right now it's not very far.. half the day was spent getting supplies.. it was REALLY interesting fitting 20 pieces of 8' long wood, 8 light fixtures, a 10 pack of bulbs, 4 big containers (for putting stuff in rafters), and 2 people into one Aurora, haha.
Here's pics of what we got done before we called it a night.. maybe you'll get the idea maybe not, but in time it'll come together, gonna work on it sat/sun for sure.

User posted image
User posted image
User posted image

Reserves criticizing comments unless you understand what I'm building exactly :p
Suggestions?
Focal Fury

Post Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:27 am

took me a second but i see what im looking at now
should be cool!!
Aken

Post Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:29 am

Have you tried opening/closing the garage to make sure it doesn't hit anything currently? It looks like it'd whack the one right by the door right after it started opening.

And add some supports! Only two at the end = bowing after not very much time, especially with two boards being connected like that.

Cool idea, though. You're going to need to add ventilation, too, though, if you want a decent booth.
justinwebb

Post Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:10 am

i built a paint booth in my 2 car garage at the house turned out quite well need any ideas let me know i created exhaust fans out of cardboard boxes and hot tons of lighting it was just as nice as the real thing
clutch1

Post Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:22 am

Yup Aken, it clears. That's was the biggest design issue, was clearing that. Originally I was going to just bolt it right to the rafters, but because of the door I had to drop it down 16" or so. That also means that it needs to span the entire gap without ay supports. I'll probably build an upside-down truss arrangement on that side, to help with the sagging.

As for ventilation I'm planning on using the window you can see in one pic (covered by ugly curtains, lol), and also one of the doors in the garage. Not totally sure which side is going to pull and which is going to push air, yet though. The window is at the perfect level for a big fan pointing right into the booth. I'll rig it up so it has furnace filters or something to filter the air.
pOrk

Post Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:06 pm

Wow the garage is a mess. Maybe build a floor up in the rafters and throw all that **** up there, then you don't have to cover everything with plastic.
clutch1

Post Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:43 pm

Yea I know.. and it was worse before those pics were taken, I filled 5 big garbage bags with stuff to throw away and a big bundle of cardboard.

I'm not sure if the rafters could take all that weight on them without modifying the setup, though. I'll just use what I got for now.. when I move out in a couple years I'll have a chance to start all over again anyways then.
clutch1

Post Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:48 pm

Got more work done tonight.. finished the prelim hanging frame, and installed/ wired up 6 of the lights. I've got 2 lights left.. not sure what to do with them exactly, I'm probably going to remove the incandescent garage lights on top and put them in their place.

Either way, the new lights are absolutely amazing.. they change the look of the garage at night a lot, easier to see and just better overall lighting than the 2 bulbs I had before. Hopefully they'll be enough for painting.

Here's some crappy pics I took.. the garage is a mess (moreso than usual, hahaha)

salty car :[
User posted image

User posted image
User posted image
User posted image
AutoAustin

Post Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:07 pm

I still hav eno idea what is going on by looking at the pics.... I read, but I'm too tired to understand
clutch1

Post Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:40 pm

It'll make sense tomorrow hopefully, I plan on finishing the majority of it then.
clutch1

Post Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:54 pm

Finished it all up today.. minus ventilation. I still need to design that part of it. It'll prolly be one fan pulling air in through the side window, then ducting it to blow down over the works space, and a fan pulling it out and venting through the rear door of the garage. I would just have the garage door up to paint, but I dunno if the feds would like what they would see :ninja:

This part works amazingly, though. Easily wiches up and rolls back down. Once it's up the only lame part is using a bunch of straps to hold the plastic up. Oh well, can't win em all.

Pics.. none of it rolled down, I didn't think of taking a picture, and by then I already strapped up half the plastic and didn't feel like undoing it.

Also.. 90% of all the sh*t laying around is recycling that I'm waiting to put out.. but it's not for another week. I had to move it out of the way so I could drop the whole setup down.. it's not normally THAT bad :p

Retracted, plastic rolled up
User posted image

Retracted, plastic still hanging down
User posted image

Where all 8 pulleys converge
User posted image

The winch
User posted image

video of it winching up:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcyZ_PMEAl4
Kevin_S

Post Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:16 pm

Awesome..looks great

TIP
If you placed grommets in the center of the plastic evenly throughout the sqaure and put a line half as tall as the plastic through the grommet and rigged it into the wench, it would roll the plastic the entire way up, nicely and neatly.
Moss

Post Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:50 pm

I have a question?

The top is open can't the dust just come in that way?
corvettecrazy

Post Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:19 pm

Moss wrote:
I have a question?

I think its more to keep the over spray off the excessive amount of unorganized stuff all over the garage.
pOrk

Post Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:58 pm

corvettecrazy wrote:
Moss wrote:
I have a question?

I think its more to keep the over spray off the excessive amount of unorganized stuff all over the garage.

Yea, instead of cleaning the garage and putting everything in plastic storage tubs like every other garage painter in the entire world does, he thought he would waste a few hours time by hanging garbage bags by a rather ornate pully system.
clutch1

Post Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:30 pm

Yup.. nothin better to do with my life.
And not enough plastic tubs at the local walmart to hold all of my useless sh*t that populates the garage.
The time now is Fri May 25, 2018 6:51 pm
Page 1 of 1