Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

Interference from Flood LED's - Page 1

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:18 am

I just installed flood led's in my tail lights, now every time I hit the brake my radio stations get a lot of static, so much some don't even come in. It does not affect the CD/MP3 player function, so I know its not through the wiring itself. I think that the led's are putting out an rf signal that is interefering with my antenna. Any suggestions on how to repair the issue?
JSewell

Post Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:34 pm

haha, nah thats just aliens tracking you

i can't really say because i never thought LEDs put out any kind of signal

if i think of something i'll come back tho
Cooper

Post Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:04 pm

I don't see any reason why a flood LED's would cause interference on your radio.. icon_neutral.gif I mean, even if your antenna or antenna wire was next to the tail lights, I'm.. uhm, at a loss . This happens on FM also, right ? Not just AM ? (I have heard LED interference on AM but not typically within the range of commercial broadcasts) .
JSewell

Post Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:12 pm

did you maybe pull a wire from its place when putting in these new lights,

i can see your radio getting messed up if you had some business doing it, they might of messed a wire up?
Mrkai

Post Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:58 pm

have no idea.
but sounds like a cool idea.
care to snap a few pictures of them?
bpatrick

Post Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:58 pm

I tried AM and it worked fine. Its just on the FM stations. I double check all the wiring, everything looks fine. I was thinking that there might be a transformer inside or some other kind of circuitry that is producing the rf signal. I might try to block it with some shielding material.

Here are some quick pics with the running lights and brake lights. Need to take some better pics soon

User posted image
User posted image
Cooper

Post Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:25 am

Wait, when you said LED floods I thought you meant the single LED floods found at https://www.oznium.com/marine-led-lighting/marine-led-light . Those appear to be LED strips of some kind ? What product is that exactly ?
TRogers

Post Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:40 am

Cooper wrote:
Wait, when you said LED floods I thought you meant the single LED floods found at https://www.oznium.com/marine-led-lighting/marine-led-light . Those appear to be LED strips of some kind ? What product is that exactly ?

The floods take place of the bulbs. You can see the casing. But it does look like he also has strips.

Did you ground any leds yourself or use an existing ground? If so, how close is your ground to your antenna, and is it grounded well?
Tat2Dragons

Post Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:27 am

TRogers wrote:

Did you ground any leds yourself or use an existing ground? If so, how close is your ground to your antenna, and is it grounded well?

I agree,it does sound like a ground issue. icon_confused.gif
bpatrick

Post Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:41 pm

Thanks for all the replies!

Actually I have both. The strip leds are the running lights which I have no problems with, because this is the second version of these tail lights I have made (the first with just the strips as running lights). The flood leds are the brake lights. I do not have a regulator for turn signals since they are just straight brake lights.

I just used the stock grounding wire from the tail light harness. I soldered all the connections, heat shrinked and then electrical taped them. I'm not sure if the tail light ground is on the same circuit as the antenna. I guess I should try wiring a ground to the chassis near the tail lights instead of the wiring harness and see if that works.
TRogers

Post Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:54 pm

Good idea. Give it a shot and let us know the results!
bpatrick

Post Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:12 pm

Well, bad news. I regrounded the leds and I still get interference! I guess either I have to shield them with something or get a new antenna away from the tail lights. Any other suggestions?
Tat2Dragons

Post Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:29 am

bpatrick wrote:
Well, bad news. I regrounded the leds and I still get interference! I guess either I have to shield them with something or get a new antenna away from the tail lights. Any other suggestions?

Hmm...heres what I would do,I would remove the factory antenna and clean underneath,where it mounts/makes contact with the metal on your quarter panel,as to assure a good contact for your antennas ground.Then if that doesn't do any good,I would try moving your ground to a different location,just to see if that makes any difference. icon_cool.gif
EricCartman

Post Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:44 am

Just a guess here... but I'm guessing the LED floods might be more than a LED array and a current limiting resistor. I suspect that they probably have a switching circuit driving the LED, and that switching noise is feeding into your head unit.

Cartman
alienyoungjr

Post Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:58 pm

you can try adding some shielding to the antennae cable.
bpatrick

Post Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:34 am

The switching circuit sounds about right, but I only get the noise with the radio (rf) not when the CD or MP3 is on, which tells me its not an issue with wiring interference with the head unit.

Unfortunately its a rear windshield antenna, fused to the glass like the rear defroster. I'll see if I can track down the ground, but I don't have high hopes.

Thanks for your suggestions
Tat2Dragons

Post Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:51 am

bpatrick wrote:

Unfortunately its a rear windshield antenna, fused to the glass like the rear defroster. I'll see if I can track down the ground, but I don't have high hopes.

Thanks for your suggestions

Oh,I thought your antenna was mounted on the quarter panel. icon_confused.gif
CBHaws

Post Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:41 am

Hello all,
I just sent an email to Oznium about this very problem. I installed two of these lights on my sportfishing boat. One replaced a 12V dome light in the downstairs companion way and the other on the rear deck. They not destroyed the FM radio signal, but they also caused lots of static the Marine VHF radio. The Marine VHF is a major safety item on any boat. I sure hope they have a fix. It is not a ground problem as I have lots of leds already operating on the vessel. By the way grounding on a boat sitting in saltwater is an easy thing. I suspect these leds are putting out a substantial amount of RF
CBHaws

Post Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:22 am

Ok I just took this to the next step. I carried a 12V battery to the boat. Now this battery has NO wiring to the boat. When I hooked up an led flood the FM radio has so much interference I could hardly hear it. I also tried the spot version; same problem. It is raining very hard; but my next project is to see if these cause interference with the navigation systems. GPS and Loran signals are very important save operation. This boat has a 4 kilowatt open array radar and that causes NO interferences of any kind! puppy_dog_eyes.gif

I sure hope Oznium has a solution.
TRogers

Post Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:32 am

Thanks for the info CBHaws.

I did some testing on my own, my floods don't effect my radio until I move about an inch close to it. If I move the wiring close to the radio I receive some interference, if I move the actual flood unit towards the radio it drowns out with interference.

This is definitely a problem, and I also have floods (two pairs) on my boat that haven't been wired in yet.

I took one pair of those floods and flushed them in to a piece of board which has since been refinished, so if those floods do the same thing I'll have to lose my hours of work put into that board by tearing them out.... icon_cry.gif

But Oznium is aware of this problem now, and they are working hard to figure it out.
byte

Post Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:37 am

On some computer cables (mini stereo jacks-like the one to the speakers) have a plastic covered magnet on one end of the cable. Maybe something like that might help?
TRogers

Post Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:58 am

Yeah, it would be nice if Oznium could calculate the correct RF choke needed (or something of the sort) and send it out to fix existing floods. I reeeeeaaaally don't want to tear up my project to replace floods. :)

Maybe it's possible *shrug*
bpatrick

Post Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:23 pm

Hey thanks for confirming my results. I have temporarily fixed my problem by getting an aftermarket powered antenna and mounting it near the front of the car. It works for most stations but a few pick up the RF signals. It would be great to go back to my stock antenna at some point. Keep me updated on what you guys try.
DJTricky

Post Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:09 pm

so let me get this straight, these cause major interference with the radio? cus i was thinking of running these as my front running lights/turn signals (4 of them)
Focal Fury

Post Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:48 pm

DJTricky wrote:
so let me get this straight, these cause major interference with the radio? cus i was thinking of running these as my front running lights/turn signals (4 of them)

I have some in my turn signals and they do not give off any interference. I hooked it up to existing wiring with no ill effect!

D A N N Y
bpatrick

Post Mon May 04, 2009 2:23 pm

Oznium is looking into the RF interference, so hopefully they get back to us with something. It maybe just Subaru's and their grounding issues. The only way to see is to try it. Good luck!
diy_darryl

Post Thu May 07, 2009 8:56 pm

I just finished an install on my boat of the LED Floods also, same problem with the FM Radio interference. I am disgusted at this point because I had a custom lightbar machined out of stainless steel to house these lights.

FM reception is horrible with the LED's lit, CD works fine. All NEW wiring so no grounding/bad connection issues, everything soldered.

Motor not running, just setting in the driveway, as soon as I turn on the LED Floods the radio reception becomes unusable!

The stereo and associated wiring are far away from the LED lighting also.

Any fix yet Oznium??????

I am pretty disgusted as I stated earlier because I cannot undo all of the custom work I have done!!!!
Phil
Owner, Oznium.com

Post Fri May 08, 2009 12:04 am

Hello diy_darryl, and welcome to the forum. I agree it is quite troublesome.

We've experimented with a number of ideas, and it seems the only thing that helps so far is covering the LED Floods with an RF shielding foil.

The factory is a bit difficult to work with regarding a fix. But we're trying to push them for a fix.

We're also working on another marine lighting product that will sell for around $140. It is a 6W flood light with a larger footprint.
TRogers

Post Fri May 08, 2009 3:20 am

The RF shielding works, and I also found it also helps to cut the flood wiring back as far as you can and run your own wiring to the flood.

The main unit also puts out some rf though, luckily mine are under the swim deck and at the tip of the boat. For the tip I first fabricated a stainless holder as well, but later switched to teak to match the wood trim seen elsewhere icon_smile.gif

I'm hoping I don't get any noticeable interference when all of my wiring is finished.

A picture of a flood I tested with rf shielding (with the wire next to the radio wrapped in rf shielding it did not cause any interference),
User posted image
diy_darryl

Post Fri May 08, 2009 7:07 am

Well I am pretty much out of luck I suppose. No way I can remove and wrap 8 LEDS with foil in that tight space, plus my wiring also is ran through the legs of my tower, dressed up nice, sheathed in snakeskin also. Will post pics when I can.

If you can picture my install.....I used a 2x5 inch, 42 inch long piece of rectangular stainless steel tubing hanging from a fishing tower, like you would see on a 4WD truck so to speak. The tube is hanging with the narrow side vertical. I have 6 Blue LED Floods mounted on this 2 inch surface to light up my fishing rods and 2 Red LED Floods facing downward to light the deck.

These lights are mounted from the INSIDE with just the nosecone protruding, which was a PITA by the way. Those mounting tolerances are TIGHT!

Now to throw another curve..........There is so much EMF that when I turn on the Blue Floods the Red Floods flicker. They share a common ground and are switched individually by their own power wire. That should not be an issue in a DC circuit.

I might be able to eliminate the flicker by placing a diode on the negative leg of the Red Floods, hoping that the induced EMF will not be enough to overcome the conduction threshold of the diode.

I hope this can be fixed. Thanks for looking into the matter.
TRogers

Post Fri May 08, 2009 7:13 am

I see.

I hear you with mounting woes, I completely flush mounted mine into the teak. Was a PITA indeed. Had to step down the size of hole and use the correct depth to get them mounted just flush, and that left a lip for the bottom of the flood to attach to. icon_biggrin.gif

We're in the process now of refinishing and then redoing the pin striping, so that part doesn't look so great in the pictures,
User posted image
User posted image
diy_darryl

Post Fri May 08, 2009 7:26 am

Does anyone know if the Marine LED Spot Lights have the same issue?

I am assuming they do.

At least they have the same footprint so all of my custom work would not be for naught!

Not that I am going to remove these lights after all of the expense and hours of custom work, but it will aggravate me to no end everytime I turn those lights on and lose my radio.

I still need to see if they also affect my VHF Radio.........that is DEFINATELY an issue that will cause me more concern.

Idea to bounce around? My lights are all installed into a stainless steel tube, i.e. surrounded by metal (except for the nosecone of course). What If I tied my ground wire to the tube, would it not then possibly shunt the spurious RF emissions to ground and solve my problem?

Grasping at straws here.
TRogers

Post Fri May 08, 2009 8:01 am

The marine spots are the same product as far as I know.

I'm not sure that a better/different ground will help, in my testing I have tried all of it. The only thing to help so far was the shielding (which I understand is not an option for you)

I would still like to know if an RF Choke would work. That is something that can be easily installed at the end of your wiring (similar to a diode or resistor if I am thinking of the right thing).

I don't have access to any chokes, I only had access to shielding here through my workplace so I haven't got to try one yet. I wouldn't be sure what to try anyway, I'm sure there are many different specs of chokes out there.

icon_confused.gif
diy_darryl

Post Fri May 08, 2009 8:26 am

My thoughts were that in my installation, the housing itself is an enclosed (mostly) metal structure which IS NOT tied to ground. I was thinking that if I grounded it, it might have the same effect as the shielding tape and shunt the emissions to ground so they aren't 'broadcast' into the air and picked up by my antenna.

I'll give it a try as soon as I get a chance. Easy enough to try anyway.
byte

Post Fri May 08, 2009 8:35 am

Does it effect other radios as well or just the radio(s) mounted in the boat? Try bringing a portable radio on the boat to see if it is effected. Maybe you could use it as a noise (RF) finder by walking around until you find the noisiest spot.
TRogers

Post Fri May 08, 2009 8:54 am

I tested it with a portable radio, as seen in my picture of the shielding in use. I'm sure it will effect my Ship to Shore radio as well if it gets close enough, no doubt in my mind. Luckily mine are far enough away that it probably won't effect my radio at all *fingers crossed*
diy_darryl

Post Fri May 08, 2009 9:03 am

Mine are probably 7-8 feet away from my radio so hope it works out for you. It obviously did not work for me.

Just talked to one of our engineers. These things may have possibly been tried already:

Ferrite core placed over power wire

Capacitor to ground, from power wire to shunt AC portion of signal (the RF) on the line, microfarad value not calculated though

Grounding my enclosure as I suggested might help and also have the same effect of a ferrite core

Will cross my fingers and try some of these things this weekend and will post results.
TRogers

Post Fri May 08, 2009 10:02 am

I only have two in front and two in back, and with one testing by hand on my bench, I only had to pull it about 12 inches away from the radio before I couldn't hear any interference.
diy_darryl

Post Fri May 08, 2009 11:21 am

Okay, just got back from Gateway Electronics.

Going to try:

Ferrite Core clamped over Power AND Ground wire together

and/or

1 microfarad capacitor between positive and negative wires

and/or

diode installed between positive and negative wires (reverse biased)

and/or

Grounding my housing

These are the easy fixes, they say we can get way more elaborate if needed......updates to follow.
TRogers

Post Fri May 08, 2009 11:47 am

Awesome! Let us know how it goes.
WTP07

Post Sat May 09, 2009 2:08 pm

I installed the marine floods on my trim tabs, and also get a TON of RF interference on FM radio. iPod and Sirius are fine, FM is wiped right out.

I hope that the foil is the answer. It would be nice to listen to the radio at night while watching the fish feed!
diy_darryl

Post Sat May 09, 2009 8:45 pm

All I had time to do was put the ferrite couplers on the wires near the end of my light bar (NOT next to the lights). No change except that it cured the problem of my RED FLOODS flickering when not selected. Tried grounding my light bar also but no help.

Next problem..... 1 of my 6 Blue LED Floods just crapped out with 1 hour service time, not 10,000 hours service time. I need to get a RUSH order here as I am going on a camping trip next weekend to show them puppies off.

Most of my experimentation is gonna take a while because I have no easy access to my lights. Will try smaller Ferrite Cores right next to the housings as I have time to pull them out, just not right now.
diy_darryl

Post Mon May 11, 2009 10:05 am

Posting this hoping Phil sees it........

I understand from customer service you are working on a fix which may include a factory redesign of these modules.

I beg of you to try and keep the same footprint if possible because my installation required custom machining to install these particular lights and I cannot re-do without extensive re-work and much labor and $$$ scrapping the old project and starting over.

Also........any relief for those of us who purchased the OLD ones if they come up with an improved version?

I would kind of like to be kept up to date on the status because if a re-design occurs, with a different foot-print, I'll need to stock up with many spares to keep my mod alive should you no longer carry these specific lights, as I had 1 light fail in the first hour and you are out-of-stock.

Thanks. Those lights are very cool by the way! Hope they stay on the market for a long time.
Kris

Post Mon May 11, 2009 12:11 pm

Hi Darryl:

Not sure why one of your Blue LED Floods went out, those are one of our most solidly built products, with a very low rate of failure. You can file for an immediate Warranty Claim at https://www.oznium.com/account , using the 'helpNow' feature, and just add to the comments you need it sent USPS Priority Mail, and we'll get that out as soon as possible.

In regards to the re-design, I'm personally currently working with the factory on isolating the issue. I've also been trying ferrite suppressors, and it seems regardless of their placement, the RF interference is being emitted from the unit, almost like a broadcasting signal of 1W.

RF Foil around the entire unit, and some length of the wire has proved to eliminate the interference, so it's definitely the entire unit that must be shielded. The reason why we haven't already had a new design, is because for exactly the reason you describe. We want to keep exactly the same footprint, whilst encasing the components in a shielded skeleton inside the unit.

For customers who've been expiring interference issues, in a month or so, we will be ordering a special test batch Flood LEDs we order will have the new IR shielding, and we will provide you replacements free of charge, under your existing warranty, with an upgrade to the IR shielded version. You can also assist in Beta Testing to make sure they're up to your standards (as I will be stress testing them also.)

Hope this clears things up, you needn't worry, we will try out best to keep the same exact design, and size footprint. I'm on the case, and will keep this thread updated. I can also be emailed directly at kris [@] oznium.com in regards to this issue, or any other problem you might need to bring to my attention.

Thanks,
Kris Slevens
General Manager & VP
Oznium LLC
diy_darryl

Post Mon May 11, 2009 5:53 pm

Sounds like 'above and beyond' customer service. Thanks a million. I feel much better about my purchase. Good luck with the mods, I'd be glad to be part of the beta testing if you need me.

Darryl
H-Town

Post Tue May 12, 2009 2:10 pm

Top notch customer service, that is why i like oznium.
diy_darryl

Post Tue May 19, 2009 6:26 am

KRIS

Was wondering if you have, in your testing, identified the particular frequency that the LED Floods are radiating? This might help to calculate the correct capacitor to try installing between the positive and negative leads to see if that might help.

Thanks.
Kris

Post Wed May 20, 2009 4:12 pm

Hi Darryl:

I've been talking to our factory, and as of yesterday, they've identified the problem. As I've asked them, they will be adding an internal metal skeleton to shield RF emitting from the unit. As a result, it shouldn't travel down the line either. Once the new batch / samples are in I'll disperse them to boat owners / owners (like myself) who've experienced the issue to beta them, before we into go production mode.

I'm not sure of the exact frequency, but after our factory creates a new model with an interior skeleton shielding, these problems should merely be shades of yesteryear.
diy_darryl

Post Wed May 27, 2009 9:14 am

Kris,

That is really great news!!!!!!!!

I went to considerable trouble and expense machining a stainless steel light bar specifically for these lights. They look GREAT and I am so glad a fix may be on the horizon, can't wait to get my paws on them.

These LED Floods are awesome. I can think of a million and one uses for them.

I'll post pics of my installation at some point.

Thanks Oznium for coming through! icon_smile.gif
Kris

Post Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:43 am

Hi Darryl & Folks:

After much R&D from the factory, and the building of an internal RF shielding skeleton, we've gotten the samples in from our factory. So far tested on radios & TVs, no signal interference! An iPhone created more inference once we added the shielding mechanism.

Testing tomorrow on satellite radio & GPS, will keep you updated with details.
TRogers

Post Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:24 am

Good to hear. I thought mine were fine, and we finished wiring everything up (taking the boat out tomorrow) and flipped them on with my instruments and radio on, and they screw EVERYTHING up lol

Now I just need Phil to stop by and redo my one-off finished wood trim that houses two of those floods icon_wink.gif icon_wink.gif
diy_darryl

Post Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:42 am

FANTASTIC NEWS!!!!!

Can you please make sure and test around VHF radios also. I suspect you'll have no issues there either.

Exciting STUFF!!!!!!

Thanks Kris and everyone who put the time in to work on a resolution!
H-Town

Post Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:02 am

did the footprint end up being the same
diy_darryl

Post Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:55 am

Been two and a half weeks since this thread was updated.

Just bumping to the top and asking if there is any recent news on this issue?

Thanks.
Phil
Owner, Oznium.com

Post Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:11 pm

Got a sample from a different factory, and confirmed that they don't produce RF interference.
Killerzracing92

Post Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:57 pm

How well do those Floods fair out in the daytime?

Last thing I would want it to get rear ended, because someone cant see my brakes.

Daytime Pics?
diy_darryl

Post Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:06 am

Phil wrote:
Got a sample from a different factory, and confirmed that they don't produce RF interference.

Okay.....a sample from a factory other than the one you got the last RF-FREE samples from? It seemed testing was going well two and a half weeks ago but no further updates were given.

Still the same footprint, if these are indeed from a 'different' factory?

Do you know when these will be available?
Phil
Owner, Oznium.com

Post Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:37 pm

We never got the sample from the first factory. There was a mis-understanding.

Still the same footprint, yep.

Just a guess, but I think they'd be available in about 8 to 10 weeks.
bpatrick

Post Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:50 pm

Killerzracing92 wrote:
How well do those Floods fair out in the daytime?

Last thing I would want it to get rear ended, because someone cant see my brakes.

Daytime Pics?

They do okay. I have been running them for about 3 months and I can see them clearly enough, I havent had anybody stop short on me and no problems with cops. I guess they are fine.

User posted image
User posted image
diy_darryl

Post Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:53 am

Just bumping to the top.

Waiting for the NEW lights to arrive.
Phil
Owner, Oznium.com

Post Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:38 pm

Yep, thanks for the bump diy_darryl.

The factory says the RF free model heats up quite a bit more than the other one, which is obviously a problem. Still working on the fix.
bpatrick

Post Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:11 pm

Same here! Be nice to have the radio on without static every time I brake :p
Thanks for the update Phil
Phil
Owner, Oznium.com

Post Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:35 am

The old style gets about 120 to 130 degrees fahrenheit (which is OK), while the new RF free model is testing at 158 degrees fahrenheit (way too hot). The factory says they can't make the RF free model any less hot. So we're in a stalemate.
TRogers

Post Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:25 am

icon_cry.gif icon_cry.gif
EricCartman

Post Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:19 am

Phil wrote:
The old style gets about 120 to 130 degrees fahrenheit (which is OK), while the new RF free model is testing at 158 degrees fahrenheit (way too hot). The factory says they can't make the RF free model any less hot. So we're in a stalemate.

Never surrender!

I've never seen or played with one of those units, but I have a few ideas that might get you going in the right direction.

Being that the housing appears to be metal, I would assume you could probably go a LONG way in reducing this noise simply by connecting the ground of the "guts" to the metal case (if that has not been done already). It might not be perfect, but it is something that may not have been considered at this point.

If it is not metal... Maybe the inside could be shielded with some sort of Mylar or other conductive covering. Basically, anything you can do to improve the Faraday "cage" effect.

Maybe you can alter teh architecture in such a way that there is a very large ground plane between the components/signals and the LED. This can help shield some of the noise.

What frequency is the EMI radiating at? Is it focused in one range, or across the board? If there is one particular frequency causing you problems? A well selected cap on the line that drives the LED can do wonders if that is the case.

Are these LEDs being driven by a switching circuit, or are the driven by a DC-DC converter? I suspect they might be a switching circuit... but maybe you can convert these to a DC-DC type topology. Something as simple as a 7805, a few caps and a current limiting resistor.

I'm not sure what they are trying to do to reduce the noise that is increasing temperature...

If I had a little more details... I might be able to offer up a little better suggestions. Hopefully there is something in my ramblings to help you over the hump. I love engineering because it is fun to find a solution when none seem to present themselves. icon_smile.gif

Cartman
diy_darryl

Post Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:16 am

That is definately NOT GOOD NEWS! icon_eek.gif

I use mine in a marine environment so they are on all the time at night. This renders my VHF Radio and FM Radio unusable. icon_evil.gif

I spent a crapload of cash fabricating a custom Stainless Steel lightbar specifically to house 8 of these lights.

I think it is at least time for Oznium to place a warning on the product page divulging the fact that these lights emit RF interference. I am a bit torqued off now because had I known about the issue there is NO WAY I would have wasted my money!
TRogers

Post Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:37 pm

I can't use mine either, the radios on the boat are deemed useless.

I'm waiting, hoping something will come out of this. A new footprint would indeed be a pain in the ass, since I also have a custom fabricated piece.
Kennymester

Post Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:13 pm

For the people that have used these for car applications are you have the same problem with interference? I'm thinking of mounting these on the inside of my xB's hatch to be trunk lights. Also they would be mounted on plastic trim. Anyone mount these on plastic and have the plastic warp or melt?
TRogers

Post Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:17 am

I have some mounted on the back of my tv using a dab of hot glue, and they have never warped the plastic, or made the glue hot enough to release.
Ice2500HD

Post Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:13 pm

Been a while since i posted but i have the led flood and use it for a light in my shanty for ice fishing and noticed the same thing radio going wacky when it was lit. Not so much a emergency problem for me but i would like a fix to listen to the tunes.
Focal Fury

Post Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:47 pm

Kennymester wrote:
For the people that have used these for car applications are you have the same problem with interference? I'm thinking of mounting these on the inside of my xB's hatch to be trunk lights. Also they would be mounted on plastic trim. Anyone mount these on plastic and have the plastic warp or melt?

We had been using the same flood for a few years and only recently did a few people say there was interference on boats
I have never taken a CS call stating there were issues in cars and I know we have a lot of customers who use them in cars.

D A N N Y
diy_darryl

Post Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:38 am

What's the latest news on this issue OZNIUM?

Are we just out of luck with these defective LED's??????
TRogers

Post Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:41 am

We may have some more info very soon! I was just talking to D A N N Y about this yesterday.

We'll keep you posted, for sure.
Phil
Owner, Oznium.com

Post Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:43 am

The latest news from what I understand is that some samples arrived at the warehouse and are being tested and if they pass waterproof, heat, and RF tests we'll start production on a new batch.

I wouldn't really call the LEDs defective, they work just fine. But no worries if the RF interference causes some trouble, we can replace for you.
diy_darryl

Post Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:07 am

LOL! Well I suppose an LED's primary purpose is to emit light and these do a wonderful job at that so I suppose not 'defective', per se, but have a few undesirable traits. Fair enough? icon_smile.gif

Thanks.
lime4x4

Post Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:18 pm

Any word yet if the new led's past the test yet?
CBHaws

Post Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:06 am

Phil,
While I commend you for trying to solve the RF problems; it is a little disingenuous of you to state they are not "defective". These Leds produce enough RF to cause potential marine safety issues. I also believe they violate FCC RF emission standards.
Maybe it is time to add a disclaimer to your advertising; "Not safe for marine applications".
Focal Fury

Post Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:23 pm

CBHaws wrote:
Phil,
While I commend you for trying to solve the RF problems; it is a little disingenuous of you to state they are not "defective". These Leds produce enough RF to cause potential marine safety issues. I also believe they violate FCC RF emission standards.
Maybe it is time to add a disclaimer to your advertising; "Not safe for marine applications".

They are not designed specifically for marine, they work for marine.
So many of our products are able to be used in such a wide variety of forms.

Unfortunately the latest tests have gotten better with the RF, TRogers can comment as well.
There is still a small bit of RF.
Its because of the High Power LED itself, so we're trying to look for alternatives. Sure it is an issue we'd like to correct but the amount of people experiencing problems is very smallllll.
We will continue to work on the issue though icon_smile.gif

D AN N Y
TRogers

Post Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:08 am

The testing I have done with the new unit shows minimal rf emitting from the wiring, so they somehow choked that. But the actual unit itself is still emitting enough rf to drown out a radio signal if held near the antenna.
lime4x4

Post Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:45 pm

well my led's are 1 foot under water and a good 15 feet away from the boats ant. And the moment there turned on nothing but static
The time now is Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:51 pm
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2