Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

Home made Underglow Kit.

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:44 pm

My brother and I decided to make our own Underglow tube because it was rather expensive to go out and buy one. (We did it the cheap WAY)

We used a Clear PVC Pipe, 100mm LEDS, Wires, Resistors, etc. + Hot glue.

The light was produced from an old 12V Transformer. icon_razz.gif
(The tube shown is a 3ft tube, We are going for a Green Underglow kit). The only problem is that there are "Glow spots" where there is glow in a one spot and not in another. icon_sad.gif

(Irregular Glow)

We are attaching them after the other 3 tubes are constructed. Sorry for the Blurriness.

User posted image

User posted image

User posted image

User posted image

User posted image

User posted image

User posted image

User posted image

User posted image

User posted image
byte

Post Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:37 pm

You can try to file off the round tip of the bulb to get a bigger spread pattern.
Kevin_S

Post Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:04 am

100mm leds -- I wonder what that would look like *scratches chin and drifts off into dream sequence with giant LEDS ruling the world*
Cooper

Post Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:23 am

Pretty cool, I've not actually seen someone put together their own UB tubes from individual LEDs before . icon_smile.gif If the light pattern has spots when you're holding it 3-4ft off the ground though there's going to be almost no way to put out a even spread of light when underneath you car and much closer to the ground . You could try filing off the tips of the LEDs, as byte said, or using LEDs with a wider dispersion, or just use a greater number of smaller LEDs.. good luck . icon_biggrin.gif
Kwonrae

Post Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:21 am

Differrent idea, the outcome isn't that great though. I've personally flatened LED's with a grinder b4 and it does help. Maybe you should do as Byte said and try it. The pics aren't that great either.

If you don't mind me asking how much money will it take to complete this project?
Black DX

Post Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:26 am

If the led's were uniformly spaced from side to side not grouped you'd have less light pooling, also sanding the led tips will create less projection and more of a glow effect but lower the output distance the light is cast...

neat idea, never tried doing it myself but I've also had spare tubes from broken street glow kits I some how got to mess around with...
GlowinPontiac

Post Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:05 pm

where did you get the rigid clear tubing?
kornholio788

Post Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:33 am

GlowinPontiac wrote:
where did you get the rigid clear tubing?

This is where I buy all of mine. As durable as the iceled tubing. Great stuff. Comes in 8 foot lengths. The box is hilarious. Like a rocket ship haha

http://www.mcmaster.com/#
02cougarman

Post Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:31 am

^^^just ordered some tube from them yesterday...

finally going to fix that shattered UB tube icon_biggrin.gif
aznboiquyen

Post Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:52 am

That is a 3 ft tube, and we placed 9 L.E.Ds in them (Which i can get them for 25 cents each, 10mm size)...

TUBES
The tubing we got at Home-Depot, 10 feet for 5 dollars.
there is another tubing we got (Flexible) 10 ft for 5 dollars. <-- Also Home- Depot (Check the PVC pipe section)
(Note that we will not use the entire tube, WE plan to make interior lights as well, with the remaining underglow tubes)

L.E.D.S
In total we bought about 150 L.E.D Bulbs. And that cost us about 40 dollars or so. (Each costing 25 cents)
aznboiquyen

Post Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:53 am

Mine is not very rigid, The tube is not made of Plexi Glas, we plan to use the "firm" tubing for the interior and for the fronts.

The Flexible tube we are using for the sides.
aznboiquyen

Post Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:00 am

So in total, we spent about 50-60 dollars and we plan to tackle, down the entire underglow kit, interior lights, and possibly grill lights as well. (Grill Lights is my project--the underglow is my brothers)

You cannot see it, but we sprayed Silicon oil all over the tube to help account for water resistance (Idk if this will work, but we will see). We also covered the ends with Hot Glue+ Styrofoam, so we'll see how this fairs in rainy weather. You can somewhat see it in the photos above.

But for the underglow the approximate cost is about 15-20 dollars for a full underglow kit.

If yall live in the Carrolton-Farmers Branch Area, You can check out Tanners Electronics, Very cheap quality Electronic goods, You can get a 4 guage amp siring kit there for 20 dollars. (I bought me an 8 guage there for 10) Thats how cheap the stuff is.
02cougarman

Post Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:20 am

at that price i wonder if its true gauge wire...

the tube i mentioned above actually arrived an hour ago icon_smile.gif
gives me something to do
aznboiquyen

Post Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:59 am

The Brand was Rocksford Fosgate (of the 8 guage and 4 guage i mentioned above). So im guessing its true guage.
ianham

Post Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:18 pm

Kevin_S wrote:
100mm leds -- I wonder what that would look like *scratches chin and drifts off into dream sequence with giant LEDS ruling the world*

http://www.instructables.com/id/Giant_100mm_LED/ icon_eek.gif
clutch1

Post Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:17 pm

ianham wrote:
Kevin_S wrote:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Giant_100mm_LED/ icon_eek.gif

BAMF lamp whoah
GlowinPontiac

Post Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:44 pm

spraying oil all over the tubes will not make them water resistant. But it might make it easier to clean road grime off icon_cool.gif

I work at home depot and all we sell is clear vinyl tubing. No rigid clear tubing at all.
knatebetz

Post Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:37 pm

shoulda spaced them out evenly, reason why you didn't?

doesn't look too bright so they must not be oz
The time now is Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:07 am
Page 1 of 1