Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

antenna delete... need better reception

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:10 pm

Like stated i deleted the antenna on my 05 silverado and layed it horizontal in the engine bay and i also regrounded it to the original mounting point. I can pick up stations but they fade real quick is there an aftermarket antenna or radio that will bump up my reception???
byte

Post Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:18 pm

the old chevy trucks used to have 2 thin wires in the front windsheild, but they were not as good at picking up signals as fender mount. You can make an annenna from a 3 foot piece of speaker wire, just seperate the two wires (not strip) for 2 feet to form a Y... at the bottom of the Y is where you connect to radio.
corvettecrazy

Post Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:48 pm

byte wrote:
You can make an annenna from a 3 foot piece of speaker wire, just seperate the two wires (not strip) for 2 feet to form a Y... at the bottom of the Y is where you connect to radio.

There are actually calculations you can do to tune a dipole antenna to certain frequencies. (Google it)
bad venge

Post Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:16 pm

We hid my buddies under his bed rail ...used one that swivels out for reception , then back to hide for shows ,,,
Have you tried any of the glass mounts ???
or an FM booster ???
Cooper

Post Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:26 pm

I've used this antenna from Crutchfield . http://www.crutchfield.com/p_12044UA200/Univers...ount-Antenna.html?search=antenna Its a powered on-glass antenna that we put on my dad's Civic and then put it at the very top of the windshield up against the headliner . It has an LED but once that was covered you don't hardly notice its there, although if it was my car I'd have probably mounted it inside the headliner so it was fully hidden . The reception is excellent, much better then my telescoping power antenna on the Miata . For $20 I think it was a really solid product .
User posted image
Tat2Dragons

Post Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:36 pm

Cooper wrote:
I've used this antenna from Crutchfield . http://www.crutchfield.com/p_12044UA200/Univers...ount-Antenna.html?search=antenna Its a powered on-glass antenna that we put on my dad's Civic and then put it at the very top of the windshield up against the headliner . It has an LED but once that was covered you don't hardly notice its there, although if it was my car I'd have probably mounted it inside the headliner so it was fully hidden . The reception is excellent, much better then my telescoping power antenna on the Miata . For $20 I think it was a really solid product .

Really? icon_eek.gif I installed one of those hidden antennas on a previous vehicle and the reception was so bad,that I removed it and got my money back.If anyone's interested in trying that antenna for themselves,you can find them at most auto part stores.
Cooper

Post Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:38 am

Yeah, it picks up darn near every station that I know of, and it was an improvement over the stock Civic antenna as well (before it went bad) . Maybe it was a different brand you tried or just a stinker of a unit ? Or maybe they're almost all stinkers and I just lucked out ? In any case, I was happy with it . icon_biggrin.gif
Ice2500HD

Post Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:22 am

Got any links to the booster or the swivel mount you described.
bad venge wrote:
We hid my buddies under his bed rail ...used one that swivels out for reception , then back to hide for shows ,,,
Have you tried any of the glass mounts ???
or an FM booster ???
Chris

Post Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:12 pm

The bigger the antenna, the better the antenna.

The more you have, the cooler you are.

Limo antennas, 18 wheeler antennas, stubby antennas, round antennas, yellow antennas more.
Tat2Dragons

Post Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:06 pm

Cooper wrote:
Maybe it was a different brand you tried or just a stinker of a unit ? Or maybe they're almost all stinkers and I just lucked out ? In any case, I was happy with it . icon_biggrin.gif

Yeah,that could very well of been true. icon_smile.gif Well I'm glad to hear that it worked out great for your application. icon_wink.gif
bad venge

Post Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:36 pm

SuBXeRo

Post Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:57 pm

the best antennas are those that come out of the car, they really are. My new car is antennaless and i get **** for reception. My old car had a pole antenna andi got great reception everywhere.

My only suggestion, the bigger the antenna the better. FM antennas are easy to make, u dont really do anything special, AM anetnnas are a lil more difficult.
JohnCuePublik

Post Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:44 pm

blaupunkt makes one that the VW guys swear by, from what I've heard you can leave it behind the dash and it works great. its on tmtuning.com but I'm sure you could find it cheaper elsewhere and not imported from Germany with a 2 week wait time anyways it uses that same microcircuit technology those phone boosters use
The time now is Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:22 pm
Page 1 of 1