Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

Hard Wire Car Charger?

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Mon May 04, 2009 6:42 pm

anyone know how i would do this? i want to keep all the wire on the inside of my dash and leave the cigerete lighter free. Anyone know how?
ianham

Post Mon May 04, 2009 8:14 pm

ViciousBread wrote:
anyone know how i would do this? i want to keep all the wire on the inside of my dash and leave the cigerete lighter free. Anyone know how?

Are you wanting a USB charger? If so... http://www.onehalfwatt.com/
byte

Post Mon May 04, 2009 8:36 pm

Run the wires to the battery if you are talking about a solar battery charger...
JSewell

Post Mon May 04, 2009 8:41 pm

yeh man, just but a cigarette lighter part from a car store, like 5 bucks

plug in your phone charger and run the wiring from the cig lighter adaptor straight to a constant 12volt source, insulate the adapter though man, big must

and your done ha
jdusty914

Post Mon May 04, 2009 9:53 pm

All you have to do is cut the end off of the plug that would go into the cigarette lighter and then once you have the 2 wires that power the device briefly touch one to the positive and one to the negative of the battery....If your device works or lights up then you have found out which wire is positive...If it does not light up immediately take the wires off of the battery so that you do not fry whatever you are wiring up...also if it does not light up then you have negative on positive and vice versa....pretty much the second you touch the wires to the battery posts is the most time the wires need to be on the battery....
ryan71489

Post Mon May 04, 2009 10:15 pm

jdusty914 wrote:
All you have to do is cut the end off of the plug that would go into the cigarette lighter and then once you have the 2 wires that power the device briefly touch one to the positive and one to the negative of the battery....If your device works or lights up then you have found out which wire is positive...If it does not light up immediately take the wires off of the battery so that you do not fry whatever you are wiring up...also if it does not light up then you have negative on positive and vice versa....pretty much the second you touch the wires to the battery posts is the most time the wires need to be on the battery....

Dunno if that is the best way of going at it. If you have a multimeter around test the voltage going through it to see if it is positive or negative instead of just hooking random wires up to your car charger.
PwrRngr

Post Tue May 05, 2009 3:10 am

jdusty914 wrote:

Good God that's possibly one of the worst ideas given.

Here's what you want to do. BEFORE you cut the wires from the plug, use a multimeter and determine which wire goes to the center part of the plug and which part goes to the outside prongs. This will determine which is positive and which is negative. Then you can savely hook it up to an existing circuit or run new wires from the battery (properly fused).
TRogers

Post Tue May 05, 2009 3:42 am

I'm a big fan of not cutting up things you may use elsewhere, even when you "know" you won't lol (it's burned me before)

I would buy one of these,

Snip off the male end, wire it up under your dash and wah-la. You have a plug under your dash ready for some discrete mounting.
PwrRngr

Post Tue May 05, 2009 4:32 am

TRogers wrote:
I'm a big fan of not cutting up things you may use elsewhere, even when you "know" you won't lol (it's burned me before)

I love cutting wires. Cut twice, measure once??? icon_redface.gif
TRogers

Post Tue May 05, 2009 5:45 am

biglaugh.gif
H-Town

Post Tue May 05, 2009 6:18 am

TRogers wrote:

I would buy one of these,

Snip off the male end, wire it up under your dash and wah-la. You have a plug under your dash ready for some discrete mounting.

agreed this is probably the safest/easiest way to go. this way you can reverse it if you want to.
ViciousBread

Post Tue May 05, 2009 9:16 am

I found out I can just crack open the charger solder a couple wires to a positive and negative and I'm good.
H-Town

Post Tue May 05, 2009 11:38 am

if your going to go that far you shouldve just cut the wires.
ViciousBread

Post Tue May 05, 2009 5:07 pm

H-Town wrote:
if your going to go that far you shouldve just cut the wires.

Huh? im just gonna hook them up to the wires i ran for my interiors cold cathodes.
I should have some pics up of the install soon.
Im hard running it ontop of my dash and connecting it to a phone dock, so i can use my phone as GPS.
GlowinPontiac

Post Thu May 07, 2009 9:25 pm

Just to let you know the center pin on the plug is positive and the outer connector spring strip is the negative.

NEVER randomly hook things up to determine polarity. Thats just a good way to destroy expensive electronics.
The time now is Sun May 27, 2018 12:51 am
Page 1 of 1