Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

Installing LED Strips

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Tue May 05, 2009 5:17 am

Hi, i got this 1.2m LED strip that i would like to install to the front grill of my car.

I tried coil the wire around the nut on my battery to test if this lighted up.

I coiled the red wire to the Red+ on the battery and the other wire coil to the Black- of the battery.

My LED strip lighted up beautifully.

However, anyone know where should i connect the LED strip if i want the LED to light up when ever my engine is on? If i tap to the battery now, my LED lights up forever.

And do i need to connect to a fuse?
PwrRngr

Post Tue May 05, 2009 5:53 am

You will need a fuse if you're going to run it from the battery. If you're tapping into an already existing circuit, it's already fused and another fuse is not needed.

All you need to do is find a circuit that's hot when the car is on and tap into that. If your car has daytime running lights you could tap into that circuit.
H-Town

Post Tue May 05, 2009 6:11 am

It all depends on it you want it on 100% of the time the car is on. The easiest route would probably be the add-a-fuse way. That way you dont have to worry about adding a seperate fuse and it would be a nice and clean install. You might also want to think about tapping into your parking lights
fossildj

Post Tue May 05, 2009 6:14 am

H-Town wrote:
It all depends on it you want it on 100% of the time the car is on. The easiest route would probably be the add-a-fuse way. That way you dont have to worry about adding a seperate fuse and it would be a nice and clean install. You might also want to think about tapping into your parking lights

Okay, so I have to run my LED wires through the firewall into the gloves compartment? and then tap the fuse from the fuse box there?

do u mean https://www.oznium.com/forum/topic11824 "Method Two: Add-a-Circuit"?
TRogers

Post Tue May 05, 2009 6:26 am

Most cars have a fuse box under the hood as well as in the car. The box under the hood typically contains fuses for the fuel pump relay, starter relay, daytime running lights, etc.

You could also tap off of your parking light wires up front and then your lights wouldn't run in the daytime, only when you turn on your parking/head lights. Unless that's what you really want.
H-Town

Post Tue May 05, 2009 6:38 am

fossildj wrote:
H-Town wrote:

Okay, so I have to run my LED wires through the firewall into the gloves compartment? and then tap the fuse from the fuse box there?

do u mean https://www.oznium.com/forum/topic11824 "Method Two: Add-a-Circuit"?

yes that is the add-a-fuse

User posted image

use the fuse box under the hood, there will be a fuse in there you can use. just grab a test light and look for one, find one that isnt on with the key off, then turn the key on to make sure the light turns on.
fossildj

Post Tue May 05, 2009 6:41 am

TRogers wrote:
Most cars have a fuse box under the hood as well as in the car. The box under the hood typically contains fuses for the fuel pump relay, starter relay, daytime running lights, etc.

You could also tap off of your parking light wires up front and then your lights wouldn't run in the daytime, only when you turn on your parking/head lights. Unless that's what you really want.

Yup. I saw another fusebox under the hood..

There are different type of fuse, which do i tap in? i saw some 25, 10, etc etc
H-Town

Post Tue May 05, 2009 7:09 am

for that you would need something small, probably 3 or so. See if there is an empty fuse spot that has the power you need.
fossildj

Post Tue May 05, 2009 7:19 am

H-Town wrote:
for that you would need something small, probably 3 or so. See if there is an empty fuse spot that has the power you need.

if there is a spot where there is no fuse, i can just buy a fuse and put it there?..

then how do i run the wires? just wrap around the legs of the fuse or use the "add a fuse"
H-Town

Post Tue May 05, 2009 7:30 am

spend the money on the add-a-fuse, they dont cost much and it will save you a headache in the future. try to find an empty slot in the fuse box to put it in, if there isnt you can use an existing fuse spot (i.e. fuel pump fuse, etc.)
fossildj

Post Tue May 05, 2009 7:33 am

Okay. Tmr i will take a picture of my fusebox. And see how I can do..

Hope you guys can guide me alonng..

Thanks alot icon_mad.gif
H-Town

Post Tue May 05, 2009 12:37 pm

If you have anymore questions feel free to ask .. make sure to post pics after you are done!
fossildj

Post Thu May 07, 2009 7:30 am

Thanks your help.

I manage to snap a picture of my fusebox located at my engine compartment.

Fusebox at Engine Compartment

User posted image

Fusebox Manual

User posted image

Fusebox Manual Description

User posted image

Okay. So now I want to install this LED.

User posted image

So I need to get something called "Add-a-fuse".

So based on my fusebox, where should i add this "add-a-fuse" or which current fuse should i tap on? How many amp i need for the fuse?

I wan connect the flexible LED strip that i have to a switch and run it into the car through the firewall or something..
H-Town

Post Thu May 07, 2009 8:56 am

if you want to add a switch the it would be better to use the fuse box inside of your car because you have to run wires in the car anyways.
DJTricky

Post Thu May 07, 2009 10:55 am

put an "add a circuit" in "fuse 12" (its always on) and then run the + to a switch then to the lights and then to ground.
Tdawgthegreatest

Post Thu May 07, 2009 5:17 pm

could tap into your running lights.
DJTricky

Post Thu May 07, 2009 5:50 pm

easier just to do it to the horn lol
PwrRngr

Post Thu May 07, 2009 6:05 pm

I would tap into #11, EFI. Horn should have power all the time as you can use the horn while the car is off.
DJTricky

Post Thu May 07, 2009 6:36 pm

efi is only when the key is on.
fossildj

Post Thu May 07, 2009 9:26 pm

DJTricky wrote:
efi is only when the key is on.

EFI fuse is 20A, is it too much for my flexible LED strip?

Because based "H-Town" post, h said that

"for that you would need something small, probably 3 or so. See if there is an empty fuse spot that has the power you need"

what is the EFI fuse for? Will it affect any settings if i remove it?

Is it possible to use the empty fuse slot? based on my diagram, there are 3 empty slots.

What i want is only needed when the car is powered up. coz the LED will open be switched on when the car is powered up. and it will be controlled with a switch
H-Town

Post Fri May 08, 2009 6:38 am

come to think of it, it doesnt matter which one you use .. it can have power to it when the car is off because you will have it on a switch anyways.
robbie

Post Fri May 08, 2009 6:52 am

DO NOT use the EFI fuse please!

I am in an auto tech class. And is for any reason something goes a little wrong or it doens't wanna respond right. Those EFI fuses can cause the car to not even start if blown.

i would find something else to tap that's a little less prone to issues as those ones normally are.

I vote tap your ETCS will be safer to do that. As if anything happens you just have to replace it but the car will still run fine.
Tat2Dragons

Post Fri May 08, 2009 2:14 pm

^^^As long as an add-a-circuit was being used,having it on the EFI fuse would be fine,because if that fuse were to blow,only the accessory wired to the add-a-circuit would not work,not the rest of the circuit.This of course would only be if the add-a-circuit was installed in the correct orientation.
fossildj

Post Sun May 17, 2009 9:50 am

finally DIY my LED..

thanks to all ur help.. heres the pic

User posted image

User posted image
H-Town

Post Mon May 18, 2009 9:17 am

glad we could help, it turned out nice
the-converter

Post Sat May 23, 2009 3:45 am

Could anyone tell me how to solve my LED strip flashing when I switch on the engine?
I have installed a pair of white led strip which I tapped the led strip wires to my front fog light.
The led strip is working alright when I switch on my fog light. However, when I turn the fog light off the led strip will continue flashing until I turn off the engine. I also tried to fit a 10W10R load resistor in serial or parallel on each led light but also cannot solve the problem.
Could anyone help me?
clutch1

Post Sat May 23, 2009 10:39 am

Which wires did you tap on the foglight circuit?

If I were you I would just tap the wires that go directly to the bulb, if you haven't already.
the-converter

Post Sat May 23, 2009 5:32 pm

I just tap the LED wires directly to the foglight wires.
My car has OBC system to check all the lighting is working even though the foglight is off the led will still receiving very small current just enough to cause the LED flashing until I remove my key.
JSewell

Post Sat May 23, 2009 7:23 pm

the only thing i'd of done differently with your setup is to tap into a lower power line (radio, gauges)

the only thing i can see being bad with the fog lights is that the wire is so big that it could still be feeding the leds some power

although i could be wrong, if i were you i'd just tap into a different line
the-converter

Post Sat May 23, 2009 8:40 pm

If I tap to a lower power line such as audio, does that means the led light will be on all the times when I turn the ignition on?
JSewell

Post Sat May 23, 2009 9:07 pm

yes, the leds will power on with the key turned

although you can always put a switch to turn off your leds when you please
H-Town

Post Sun May 24, 2009 9:42 am

you could try your parking lights as well
The time now is Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:42 pm
Page 1 of 1