Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

Frozone's video question and answer thread

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:37 pm

So this will be a interesting thread. Instead of typing questions. i'll make a video. wait for a response and then record me doing something the right way. my entire install that i posted down in lighting. will be posted here as i complete it and run into issues. so here is the first one!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQVMtXmJbmM

Thanks guys i really hope this helps with alot of newbies as well.

Vid 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayksrsohPM0

Last edited by DJ FroZone on Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total
H-Town

Post Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:55 pm

Interesting idea.
TRogers

Post Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:09 pm

The two holes you see on the end (female end) is power and ground. But the same goes for the other end (male end)

Look at the ends of the bar, where the wires connect...you will see a + and - printed on the board.

So take the - wire to metal/ground on the car. Take the + wire, to your switch power wire. Your switch has a ground wire for the LED built into the switch. If you want your switch to light up and let you know it's on...hook that up as well (to metal/ground)
DJ FroZone

Post Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:19 pm

thanks h-town.

making another vid
Kevin_S

Post Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:28 pm

Great idea! I hope you stick around
thesull

Post Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:15 pm

T Rogers got it right on the $$

You going to be setting these leds up on your tables? You did get the sound interface right ;) heh

That would be a fun video ;)
DJ FroZone

Post Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:59 am

new vid
TRogers

Post Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:13 am

The blue connector on your add-a-circuit is a butt connector. You stick the wire into it, and then crimp it down.

With one of these, (a wiring crimping/stripping tool)
User posted image

To connect the power wire from the bar to the switch and have it easily removable in the future you can use "spade terminals" or "blade disconnects" as you can see in this picture. You also stick the wires into the holes on these and crimp them down with the wire crimping tool. Also, if you find a bolt or screw that is metal to metal and you would like to use for ground, you can find a "ring terminal" large enough to slide over the shaft (whoa, sounds like condom talk) then you can crimp one of those on for an easy ground,

You can get a kit like this at Walmart or any parts store, it comes with an assortment of terminals and a wire stripper/crimper tool like pictured above

Here is a tutorial video on wire crimpers. They aren't hard to use, you just hold the terminal in the jaws of the tool and squeeze. They just have three colored dots to tell you where to crimp each of the colored terminals (Red, yellow, and blue). The colors are used for different gauges of wire,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhzCk8LQXtg
DJ FroZone

Post Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:05 pm

sweet jesus rogers your amazing.

how can i hook this up to a nine-volt or something real quick to test it out.

and i def. have to cut the head off that interconnect wire to get them wires. or is that part crimpable (new word) too?
TRogers

Post Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:28 pm

Cut it off and get to the bare wire :)

You can hold it to a nine volt battery, power and ground. I don't know which is which on the battery but it wont hurt to get it wrong. If they don't light up...try the other way.
DJ FroZone

Post Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:03 pm

btw where in ohio r u? im from Cincinnati OG.
TRogers

Post Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:09 pm

Columbus/Grove City biglaugh.gif
DJ FroZone

Post Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:16 pm

NEW VID
and Rogers dopeness

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9jhojTIkNQ
Kindschi

Post Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:29 pm

Its a great idea, But maybe have someone else hold the camera while you explain and show what your talking about.... Too shaky for me to watch for the entire 1:45 I started getting sea sick.. lol
A-Ray

Post Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:59 pm

Try turning the switch on and just touching the bare ground wire from the piranha to a grounding spot and see if the bar lights up or not. That will tell you where your problem is.
TRogers

Post Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:17 pm

Try what A-Ray suggested. But you should be able to hook them all into one. Sounds like a power issue, you're sure the wire went in deep enough to the butt connectors? Maybe you have the polarity reversed on the piranha's. Double check to make sure the + wire on the board is going to your power wire and the - wire on the board is going to your ground. (It won't hurt the bar if they aren't, don't worry if that's the case just switch them)
DJ FroZone

Post Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:37 pm

ok i'll try in the morning! sry about the shaky cam.
GhettoNinja06

Post Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:09 pm

So are you trying to hook the negative from the power switch to the negative of the bars? It doesn't work that way, that wouldn't make a complete circut. You to ground them somewhere on metal in your car seperatly. I can't tell exactly what you are trying to do though, camera is zoomed in wayy too much and way too shakey. Good idea though. icon_smile.gif
JSewell

Post Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:25 pm

GhettoNinja06 wrote:
So are you trying to hook the negative from the power switch to the negative of the bars? )

no, the circuit wouldn't be affected by that

the problem exist somewhere else,, masked by his cameraman skills
GhettoNinja06

Post Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:22 am

I have a simular problem but the led on the switch doesn't even light up... I'll try to take a video too and hopefully you guys could point out something stupid I did. icon_confused.gif
Tat2Dragons

Post Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:35 am

TRogers wrote:
you're sure the wire went in deep enough to the butt connectors?

That's where I'm thinking the problem lies.It looks like he only crimped the plastic ends of the butt connector and not the actual inner metal portion. icon_eek.gif
TRogers

Post Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:32 am

Just make sure the metal in the butt connector is getting crimped onto bare wire. You may have to strip back the covering on the wire some more, jut don't strip it too far back or you will have bare wiring exposed, which is easily fixable with some heat shrink, electrical tape, or liquid electrical tape (my personal favorite when heat shrink is too much work).
DJ FroZone

Post Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:59 am

to dragons and rogers. i didn't know i was supposed to crimp the middle of it to. so that may be a huge key right there. its sopping wet out so i'll do it tommrrow
TRogers

Post Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:05 pm

Well, not the exact middle...but make sure you are crimping the metal ends and not just plastic. The plastic extends over the metal a little bit, pull one out you aren't using and take a look into it. You'll be able to see what we are talking about.
ianham

Post Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:36 pm

User posted image
User posted image
User posted image
User posted image
User posted image
User posted image
User posted image
User posted image
User posted image

Last edited by ianham on Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:33 pm, edited 2 times in total
Tat2Dragons

Post Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:04 pm

^^Excellent post. icon_cool.gif
TRogers

Post Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:12 pm

I was thinking the same thing. Nice.
GhettoNinja06

Post Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:23 am

I am having the same problem now. The switch led lights up but the bars don't... I'll try to draw a diagram of my wiring and hopefuly you guys can see where I went wrong.
GhettoNinja06

Post Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:51 am

Any updates Frozone?
DJ FroZone

Post Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:26 pm

orangesuburban

Post Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:26 am

ok so... the side panels of your center console pop out, leterally. and you can run the wire straight through and its hidden.

trying to make a circle from dr side foot well to grill to pass foot well is gona use up so much pointless wire... dont do it.

run the wire for the foot wells as i said and then just run another wire to the grill. it will function the same as making a giant circle but save a lot of wire and aggravation trying to hid the wire.
GhettoNinja06

Post Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:56 pm

Everything looks great except for the footwell lighting. Visible running wires = ghetto. Everything else looks pretty sweet though. I hope you don't have to have the key in to turn the lights on. You should get another pair for the rear seats too. Overall, it looks pretty dope!
DJ FroZone

Post Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:06 am

GhettoNinja06 wrote:
Everything looks great except for the footwell lighting. Visible running wires = ghetto. Everything else looks pretty sweet though. I hope you don't have to have the key in to turn the lights on. You should get another pair for the rear seats too. Overall, it looks pretty dope!
yea i'm going to put some underneath the other sets. and yea i have to have the key in. idk how else i could get it to turn on. its running off a add a circuit.
ianham

Post Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:31 am

DJ FroZone wrote:
and yea i have to have the key in. idk how else i could get it to turn on. its running off a add a circuit.

If you look in the manual you may find a fuse that has power at all times, even without the key.
GhettoNinja06

Post Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:48 pm

ianham wrote:
DJ FroZone wrote:
and yea i have to have the key in. idk how else i could get it to turn on. its running off a add a circuit.

If you look in the manual you may find a fuse that has power at all times, even without the key.

Yeah, just keep trying different fuse spots. There should be one that has current at all times. I couldn't find one that wasn't being used that did though so I ended up taping power off the clock. Worked perfectly since it all was in the center console.
pgiordano

Post Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:01 pm

nice work... just hide those wires and i like the video installs... somethin diffrent
PwrRngr

Post Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:10 pm

GhettoNinja06 wrote:
ianham wrote:
DJ FroZone wrote:

Yeah, just keep trying different fuse spots. There should be one that has current at all times. I couldn't find one that wasn't being used that did though so I ended up taping power off the clock. Worked perfectly since it all was in the center console.

Cigarette circuit is a good one to tap power from. It's usually a larger fuse as the cigarette lighter requires a decent amount of power and it's on even w/out the keys.
Tat2Dragons

Post Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:43 pm

PwrRngr wrote:

Cigarette circuit is a good one to tap power from. It's usually a larger fuse as the cigarette lighter requires a decent amount of power and it's on even w/out the keys.

Not on alot of vehicles,some are actually on a switched circuit. icon_wink.gif
PwrRngr

Post Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:11 pm

I know on all the vehicles I've had the cigarette lighters (not the power outlets) are on all the time. That way someone can light there cigarette w/out having to turn the key on.
Tat2Dragons

Post Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:31 pm

PwrRngr wrote:
I know on all the vehicles I've had the cigarette lighters (not the power outlets) are on all the time. That way someone can light there cigarette w/out having to turn the key on.

Hmm...I've actually had three vehicles that the cigarette lighters were on a switched circuit. icon_confused.gif
GhettoNinja06

Post Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:45 pm

Tat2Dragons wrote:
PwrRngr wrote:

Hmm...I've actually had three vehicles that the cigarette lighters were on a switched circuit. icon_confused.gif

Same. Never been in a vehicle that don't have the cigarette lighter on a switch circut.. This prevents someone draining the battery if someone has something hooked in there when they leave the vehicle.
Drifting10

Post Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:25 am

Dude this frozone guys is awesome! Stick around man!
DJ FroZone

Post Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:45 pm

Thanks drift. when i have my card on me i'm going order more interconnects and finish the project. in the grill
TRogers

Post Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:39 am

Haha. Nice closing video man, looks good!
DJ FroZone

Post Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:30 pm

So for those that would like an update.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ir3A-3QoOk

Thar you go.
Tat2Dragons

Post Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:01 am

Looks good,but you should cut that excess off your zipties.Also,black zipeties would look a tad better. As for you turn signal wires,I don't know for sure,but they could be two positive wires(one for turn signal and the other for a parking light) the last wire probably is a ground. Get yourself a inexpensive multimeter and probe around to find out for sure as to what they actually are. Once you have identified those wires,wiring them up to your custom l.e.d.s is quite simple.
Good Luck. icon_smile.gif
DJ FroZone

Post Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:23 pm

ok revamping it. i got my flexible leds. so im all set. i decided for the R8 side vent look on my xb2 to go and try to crimp the lights so they turn on with my parking lights. however. there are three wires coming from that lamp. white blue and green. which one do i tap my red power from the leds into? i want them to blink, and turn on just like the bulb its splicing into. one has to be ground right?
Tat2Dragons

Post Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:51 pm

DJ FroZone wrote:
ok revamping it. i got my flexible leds. so im all set. i decided for the R8 side vent look on my xb2 to go and try to crimp the lights so they turn on with my parking lights. however. there are three wires coming from that lamp. white blue and green. which one do i tap my red power from the leds into? i want them to blink, and turn on just like the bulb its splicing into. one has to be ground right?

Yeah one should be ground and the other two are more than likely 12volt+ turn signal and 12volt+ parking lamp. You would connect your red 12volt+ to one of those two wires. You should check them with a meter to make sure which is which. icon_cool.gif
ChevyCaprice9C1

Post Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:56 am

DJ FroZone wrote:
btw where in ohio r u? im from Cincinnati OG.

hey i live about 40 minutes from Cincinnati
DJ FroZone

Post Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:31 am

yea trenton! i currently am in NY going to school but i do know that trenton area.
ChevyCaprice9C1

Post Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:15 am

DJ FroZone wrote:
yea trenton! i currently am in NY going to school but i do know that trenton area.

yeah awesome when you get back down in the area let me know
DJ FroZone

Post Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:03 am

The time now is Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:05 pm
Page 1 of 1