Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

Driving With High Beams On

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:06 am

So, I have a set of smoked headlights on my car. At this point my low beam HIDs are barely giving any light output. My fog lights which are not smoked as dark (also HID) are the only thing lighting the road really well.

I would like to continue to use these headlights but safety is a concern for me. I'm just wondering the legality of driving with my high beams on all the time. Due to the smoked headlights my high beams are not blinding to oncoming traffic (Fogs are brighter) but they are helpful for lighting up the road.

Im in CA btw.
bad venge

Post Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:23 am

Here's a WILD idea TAKE OFF the covers at night icon_wink.gif Problem Solved and YES you will be pulled over with the high beams on ... icon_rolleyes.gif
deekortiz3

Post Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:36 am

bad venge wrote:
Here's a WILD idea TAKE OFF the covers at night icon_wink.gif Problem Solved and YES you will be pulled over with the high beams on ... icon_rolleyes.gif

Their not covers they are painted.

I realize that I can get pulled over for the high beams being on... I can get pulled over for the fogs being on too. I'm wondering what kind of fine or ticket I would get if pulled over with them on.
PwrRngr

Post Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:41 am

If you got pulled over you would prolly get a fine for driving w/ the high beams on and illegal headlights. You may get lucky and only get fined for the high beams and a fix it ticket for the headlights.

I have tinted headlights for my car but don't use them very often b/c of the terrible light output. They look good but aren't practical.
deekortiz3

Post Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:52 am

hmmm... Maybe I can just pull the diffuser off the low beams. That might get me the same light output as the fogs or close to it.
Mike&Ikes

Post Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:23 pm

ive been pulled over because my headlights were broken and the highbeams were stuck on, i couldn't turn them off. i got a ticket for around $75, but then he turned it into a fix-it ticket because i explained they were broken.
Tdawgthegreatest

Post Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:30 pm

*shrug* ive been driving around with my highbeams on for the past 4 months and not gotten a ticket or pulled over.. then again I aimed my lights waaaaay down.
Ace 96

Post Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:50 pm

This is a little much, but hey, it's just a thought:

Buy another set of headlights. Then:

-If you are only going to be out during the day, used the smoked ones
-If you know you're going to out at night, swap in the clear ones

Besides, you'll need clear ones to pass inspection anyways, unless your area isn't as strict about that kind of stuff...or you know someone icon_twisted.gif

And begin small rant:
Driving with high beams on regardless of how crappy light output isn't smart. To you it may seem like crappy output, but to oncoming traffic, it's still noticeable. It's different standing in front of the light than behind it.

Plus...you said in your first post that safety was a concern to you...kind of ironic that you would smoke headlights and then be concerned with safety, no? icon_wink.gif
And end small rant (lol sorry, I had to)
deekortiz3

Post Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:37 pm

This is a second set of headlights. I wouldn't want this as my only set. I would switch them out but that requires pulling off my front bumper which I don;t want to do all the time. I'm just going to pick up some 55w HID's (upgrade from my 35w) and hope for the best. I think I was just really bothered by it on the first day because it seemed like such a huge drop if light output. After driving a few nights I think I've gotten used to it. Thanks for all the help
02BlueStang

Post Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:12 pm

Driving with high beams on is a good way to get yourself to do some field sobriety tests...also driving with headlights off is quite popular as well.

If I were you and I use 2000 grit wet/dry sandpaper and wetsand the lenses since they are tinted. I assume it is tinted with niteshades or other exterior tinting paint. This will remove some of the tint and allow the light to pass through.
cardude007617

Post Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:42 am

deekortiz3 wrote:
This is a second set of headlights. I wouldn't want this as my only set. I would switch them out but that requires pulling off my front bumper which I don;t want to do all the time. I'm just going to pick up some 55w HID's (upgrade from my 35w) and hope for the best. I think I was just really bothered by it on the first day because it seemed like such a huge drop if light output. After driving a few nights I think I've gotten used to it. Thanks for all the help

um how is that going to help? your have headlights designed for halogens....not HIDs. can i say glare AND less overall light output on the road?
The time now is Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:21 am
Page 1 of 1