Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

Lost in installing LEDS in vents and footwells, please help.

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:40 pm

I want to install 4 pre-wired superflux 4 chip led in my air vents and 2 flexible led stdrips in my footwells but have never done anything with leds. So here are my questions; With the prewired oznium leds, how do i install them? and the footwells? and if i want to place these all on a switch, how do i arrange that? I have no wiring knowledge. So, if i have the 4 superflux and the leds, then what else should i order so that i can install these safely and correctly? Any help is extremely appreciated. I have a celica gt 2001 btw, if that at all helps.
Brian085

Post Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:46 am

The pre-wired leds just need power and to be mounted inside your vent to work. It's same with the footwell lights, mounted and wired. Now you should have a cig lighter, correct? If so you will tap the power off that. Now do you want to have two switches, one for the footwells and one for the vents or just one switch for both?

Now I made you a diagram, the left side is with two switches and right with one. I would say 18 gauge wire will be best for the postive red wire that you tap off the cig lighter. For the negative wire use 18 gauge or bigger.

User posted image

https://www.oznium.com/linear-lights/ultra-thin-light-bar I used these in my footwells and they are very bright, but not flexible.
bambicelica

Post Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:57 pm

I want to use one switch since it will cost less and be less hassle, or so i think. I didnt realize that i could tap off of the cig lighter, how would i go about that? i dont know much about wiring so i dont want to accidentaly set off my air bag or cut osmething vital. My plan was to use the oznium junction box to tie together all of the air vent and underwell lights and from there tie it in to the switch and power it somehow to the battery. But any suggestions, like the cig thing, i really appreciate it.
By the way, thanks alot for this, i really needed it.
pgiordano

Post Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:15 pm

just remove your cig lighter from the dash to get to the wires behind it and use them to power your switch
bambicelica

Post Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:41 pm

Pgiordano, problem with that is i dont know which wire is which, and how to get the wires all the way to my cig lighter and such.
pgiordano

Post Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:51 pm

i am not farmiliar with your interior setup so hopefully a celica owner will chime in but to check to see whitch wire is positive and negative just unplug the cig lighter wires and test your prewired leds with the wires and dont worry if u guess wrong, just flip the wires around and make sure u remember the positive one buy labeling it with some tape and use the positive wire to power your switch... how i run my wire through my dash is take the panels off that i can get off and if that doesnt work try to fish a clothshanger through your dash
bambicelica

Post Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:51 pm

Well, i want to put them on a switch so that i can turn them off if for some reason i need to. If i do it without the switch, will they turn on wheni turn the key to accesory or when?

Also, if i need to elongate the wires so they work with a switch i will need solder, soldering pen, a wire splicer and wire, right? is that all?

What do you guys recommend? bother putting in a switch or just put it into a cig lighter?
knatebetz

Post Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:58 pm

what year? i have a celica
bambicelica

Post Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:05 pm

knatebetz

Post Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:14 pm

oh no help. but you could probably take what attaches to the lighter off and it usually has a + and - on it witch will tell the polarity. you could also pick up a add a fuse that would probably be alot easier then trying to tap into the cig lighter and you woudlnt have to mess with the factory wiring.
bambicelica

Post Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:30 pm

Now that i have the idea i think plugging it all to the cig lighter would be the best option but how to do that remains the question as well as the otehrs ones previously posted,

Thanks all
jdusty914

Post Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:38 pm

You will need a spool of either speaker wire or red and black wire from any parts place as well as a switch and a fuse....You will not need a fuse higher than 5 amps for just the LED strips and LEDs....You will take the positive wire from the cigarette lighter and run that to the fuse and then to one prong of the switch....then you will take some of the red wire and put one end on the other prong on the switch and the other end of the red wire can be used to attach all of the positives of all the lights...Make sure to either use some type of connectors or solder the joints together and make sure everything that could be exposed is covered with electrical tape for safety measures....Then the black wire will connect to the negative end of the Cig lighter and the other end will go to the ground wires of all the lights....

If you need more help just post but make sure to read through the how-to section also for more wiring help...
bambicelica

Post Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:44 pm

Wow Dusty, that was a great help. The only thing now is to figure out how to connect the 4 leds that will bei n the air vents together. Is soldering 3 cut pieces of wire to the leds the only option or is there a better way to organize the wiring? I'm just new to wires and wiring so i want ot make sure i know all the possible options before i start.

Thanks to you all, ill sure post pics when i get it all done.
bambicelica

Post Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:50 pm

oh and also, i know the cig lighter has its own fuse, will i need to put in another fuse or would that one be enough?
Brian085

Post Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:21 am

You don't need another fuse since it is already fused from the fuse box.

I used one of these t-tap quick connects I found in walmart to tap the cig lighter.
User posted image

So using these in your case the black wire pictured is your positive cig lighter wire. While the red wire is the wire that goes to your switch.

Can you post up what color the two wires are on the cig lighter? If you can't tell the color I'm pretty sure the wire that leads into the cig lighter on the outside is positive.
jdusty914

Post Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:55 am

You can use any kind of connector...I just normally solder all the joints and make sure to electrical tape everything...that way I don't have to buy a lot of stuff that I don't need or will use....It is just easier for me.....
bambicelica

Post Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:13 pm

Well, how do you recommend i older all these? what i mean is that the leds themselves ocme with like 6 inches of wire so i know i have to solder them all together so should i solder them all together beforehand and just try to maneuver the leds to the right holes or what? keep in mind i havent opened the dash or under the dash so idk im just askign a stupid question.

I took a picture but i cant get it off my phone for some reason but there were 4 wires. One that is red, and the otehr three are in one hole and they are white, yellow, and red. I assume the sole red one is the positive, right?
jdusty914

Post Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:05 pm

Just run a red wire to each of the positives and curl the positive end of the LED around a stripped area of the red wire and then solder that on and electrical tape that spot....then do the rest on the same wire and the same way....you just need to strip enough of the wire to twist the positive around it and then solder the connection....always place the LED first then figure out how much wire you need and where you can run it....I don't know about the LED having 4 wires....can you send me a link of the LED you are talking about so I can help you out more accurately....
bambicelica

Post Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:05 pm

The Led didnt have 4 wires, it was the cig lighter socket. I didnt know which one was pos and which was ground. There were two connections, one with a single red wire and the otehr three went together into the other connection. So im lost to what is what in that cig socket.
Tat2Dragons

Post Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:44 am

bambicelica wrote:
The Led didnt have 4 wires, it was the cig lighter socket. I didnt know which one was pos and which was ground. There were two connections, one with a single red wire and the otehr three went together into the other connection. So im lost to what is what in that cig socket.

Do yourself a favor and get a multimeter,a cheap one will be fine for what you're trying to do. As for the cigarette lighter socket connections,the wire going to the center of the socket is usually always 12volt positive and the grounds are the outside part of the socket. icon_wink.gif
bambicelica

Post Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:36 pm

So the multiple wires are all jsut grounds and the single reed one is the 12v?
Tat2Dragons

Post Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:24 am

bambicelica wrote:
So the multiple wires are all jsut grounds and the single reed one is the 12v?

They could be,check it with a multimeter. Can you post a picture of it on here? icon_neutral.gif
bambicelica

Post Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:15 am

I tried earlier but i couldnt get it off my phone. Another question though, i already got my package in today.

also, for my pirhanna bar, to access the wires, do i have to cut behind the plastic end or cn i just solder a wire to that connection in the plastic end?

This is the best picture i can take with ym phone, sorry no real camera. And, can i just cut teh 12v power and leave teh grounds plugged in?

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y290/ColombianPimp/Photo0040.jpg
Tat2Dragons

Post Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:20 pm

^^I can't really see much in that picture,but is there an area around your cigarette lighter that lights up? If so,that might be what some of those other wires are for and some may not actually be grounds at all. Oh and yes you can just cut/tap into the 12 volt off of there and ground it elsewhere.As for your pirhanna bar,I'm not familar with those,so hopefully someone else will chime in for you.
bad venge

Post Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:36 pm

The pirahna bar you can cut the connector off and splice into the wires IF you are connecting multiple ones OZ sells an extension cable that plugs into the connector then feeds the next one with the plug ,and so on and on ...
You can remove the endcaps ,but it's hard to get new larger wires thru and then solder them to the board
bambicelica

Post Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:30 pm

So if i take the 12v from the cig lighter ill still have to ground it even though im leaving the ground uncut?

Il just have to splice the pirhanna bar then, didnt know about the connector so its too late now.

ill keep trying to get a better pic, but if that does not work, and i want to put it to the battery, will i have to put in a fuse between the battery and the junction box i ordered or to teh switch or both?

and if i get a fuse holder, how do i know what fuse to put into it
jdusty914

Post Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:22 pm

for the cig lighter just take the positive 12V wire and hook it up to your switch....then the other end of the switch will go to the positive wires of the lights....then all of the ground wires will be connected to an all metal ground(i.e. nothing painted or insulated, just bare metal)......The piranha bar has a positive and negative on it...just look at the circuit board to tell you what wire is which.....you should not need a bigger fuse than 5 amps for now....if you blow the 5 amps by some chance make sure all the wires are connected and not grounding out...if they are not grounding out then that means you need a bigger fuse....
Tat2Dragons

Post Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:32 pm

bambicelica wrote:
So if i take the 12v from the cig lighter ill still have to ground it even though im leaving the ground uncut?

Il just have to splice the pirhanna bar then, didnt know about the connector so its too late now.

ill keep trying to get a better pic, but if that does not work, and i want to put it to the battery, will i have to put in a fuse between the battery and the junction box i ordered or to teh switch or both?

and if i get a fuse holder, how do i know what fuse to put into it

Yes you willl need to ground it. You would put the fuse between the battery and the junction box. For your install I would just use an add-a-circuit. As for what fuse you would put it on,depends on how you want to power your switch.If you want to be able to turn your switch on anytime,then chose a constant power source.If you would like it on a switched circuit...you guessed it,pick a switched source. icon_cool.gif
bambicelica

Post Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:59 pm

Allright so this is what i understand i have to do.
1. remove panels
2. connect wire to poc side of battery.
3. connect other side to fuse(10 amps)(does this matter?)
4. connect otehr side of fuseholder to switch
5. conect other prong of switch to junction box
6. drill holes in vents and palce leds
7.connect leds and pirhanna bars to junction box
8. secure piranna bar
9. make sure all the onnections have proper grounding(at least to my understanding)
DONE

Now, what needs to be grounded other than the leds and pirhanna bars which get grounded by the junction box?
bambicelica

Post Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:34 pm

do i have to solder the wires together or can i just tape them together with electrical tape
EricCartman

Post Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:56 pm

I would use either crimp connectors or solder them. I prefer soldering... but either is acceptable. icon_smile.gif
bambicelica

Post Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:38 pm

Well, another thing im lost in. I place my junction box and all that jazz but i cant figure out whihc one is the pos and which is hte ground. one is black and the other is black with a white strip in it. Also, does it matter what fuse i use, i got a 10 amp one, it was the smalelst i could find for the holder i got, which said it can hold up to 30 amps.
Also, i cant find the ground and pos on the pirhanna bar, both wires are silver and one has like branding on it, anyone havea clue?
and if i want to putmypower cable to the battery do i just conect it to the battery, solder, tape, or what?
bambicelica

Post Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:49 am

I got the footwells done quite easily but couldnt figure out how to do my air vents.
Now, does anybody know how to do the inside part of the doors(where you put crap) without showing the wires?
bad venge

Post Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:00 am

You have to remove the door panels and drill thru from behind ... IF you are using seperate LED's secure them with silicone or hot glue , personally I tapped power off the power door locks and installed a small switch in the door pockets to turn them off when not in use
bambicelica

Post Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:05 pm

I figured id have to remove the panels but how would i tap off power from tge power door locks?
bad venge

Post Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:14 pm

Find what wires hot , and install a small fuse (5 amp) and run that to the switch then run the LED's from that and then ground the negitive line /or connect to a negitive in the harness for the door locks/power windows , or power mirrors ect
bambicelica

Post Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:07 pm

is there usch a thing as a wire spliccer so that it an stya connected to where it is and i can still use it for something else?i just dont see how to do it without removing power to the windoes or whatever
02BlueStang

Post Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:37 pm

you can use the T tap sliper to splice the wire....just put the wire into the device which is pictured in this thread and then place your new wire in the other end...clamp down the metal part in the middle with some pliers and it will splice the wire.

Brian085 has a picture of a wire tap that will work for you....they can be purchased at autozone, schucks, les schwab, car toys or hardware stores.

The blue ones will work for the guage of wire you will want to use (18 guage-16 guage)
bambicelica

Post Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:10 pm

so that just fits in the fuse box or something? i though i needed sometin that maer one wire into two.
02BlueStang

Post Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:10 pm

the one showed allows you to replace an existing fuse with that one which has a power wire coming off of it to run to your lights
bad venge

Post Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:14 pm

User posted image
These scotchlok 3M connectors allow you to splice a line into an existing line , then you'd run the line to a small fuse then the switch then to the LED's

I personally do not like those connectors they can damage the primary wire as they pierce it thru
The time now is Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:28 pm
Page 1 of 1