Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

Need help installing some switches to start my car!!!!!!!!!!

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:21 am

ok so i just bought a battery killswitch, and one of those spring loaded switches you would see in most drag racing cars to start the car.
well im putting those two into my car to start it.

but i need help with the wiring.
can someone send me a wiring daigram for a 2003 PT Cruiser!

ok so here is the way i want it to start my car. (((If Possible)))

1. Turn on switch for battery (as listed above)
2. Turn Keys to ACC
3. Hold down spring toggle switch til car cranks over (as listed above also)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

and no rude comments please. theres a difference between being rude and contructive critisism(sp).
bad venge

Post Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:37 am

First off a battery kill switch will kill the battery TOTALLY so EVERYTIME you get in the car the radio station and clock will need reset ... To ME thats NOT the way to do it ...

IF you want to get tricky you can wire the battery kill in the accesory line AFTER the key switch
That way if someone attempts to hotwire the car and the switch is off it won't work ...

The Pushbutton start is easy to wire you can jumper it around the start on the keyswitch ,
That way you can still start it normally incase the pushbutton fails

IF you get the remote start wiring for the PT (check PT Cruiser Forums) I can help you ...
PwrRngr

Post Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:40 am

bad venge wrote:
IF you want to get tricky you can wire the battery kill in the accesory line AFTER the key switch
That way if someone attempts to hotwire the car and the switch is off it won't work ...

It doesn't matter if you wire it before or after the key switch. All that matters is that BOTH the "battery kill" switch and the key switch are in series.
DuzzleKid

Post Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:55 am

bad venge wrote:
First off a battery kill switch will kill the battery TOTALLY so EVERYTIME you get in the car the radio station and clock will need reset ... To ME thats NOT the way to do it ...

The Pushbutton start is easy to wire you can jumper it around the start on the keyswitch ,
That way you can still start it normally incase the pushbutton fails

IF you get the remote start wiring for the PT (check PT Cruiser Forums) I can help you ...

ok, yea i dont wanna completely shut off the battery, i just wanna have it so no one can hot wire it like you were saying.

and how big of a switch should i get for the one im gonna use to start the car? i mean how many AMPs should it hold, cause i dont want it to blow. the switch i have right now for the "kill switch" has a max of 35A and 420 watts.
would a switch that big be good for the starter switch?
PwrRngr

Post Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:11 am

DuzzleKid wrote:
ok, yea i dont wanna completely shut off the battery, i just wanna have it so no one can hot wire it like you were saying.

and how big of a switch should i get for the one im gonna use to start the car? i mean how many AMPs should it hold, cause i dont want it to blow. the switch i have right now for the "kill switch" has a max of 35A and 420 watts.
would a switch that big be good for the starter switch?

If you tap into your ignition wires you're not going to need a big fuse. Look at them, they are maybe 16-18 gauge wires. If you want to be on the super safe side, find out what size fuse is on that circuit and buy a switch that can handle that current. The wires are set up on a relay to the starter so you're not going to need a huge switch.
bad venge

Post Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:55 am

Ignited sells push button starter switches (Illuminated and labeled) They also fit in the cigarette lighter hole icon_wink.gif I have a spare green one I'd sell for $20. They are relitively small amperage need to kick the starter solenoid
A true battey kill switch is over 100 amps and shuts the entire electric system down.
What you have is only good for smaller circuits, Antitheft use ...
I have a hidden switch to kill the fuel pump ... If they try to hotwire the car cranks but will not start
thesull

Post Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:35 pm

Go push button start like venge mentioned best route.

You can make a reloated key spot or do the turn on acc and so forth up to you...

Same idea for the remote start just with a button.

All you ahve to do is tap the ignition hot.

On the pro-street cars we have 2-3 switches for prime on/fuel on/nos on then a start button.

All switches are set to be started by flip and can be killed by one down motion. I assume you can have a prime on and a push button your set.
DuzzleKid

Post Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:43 pm

ok thnx for the help.
i actually ended up not doing it.
one of my uncles is a mechanic and he said thats its best that i dont cause with newer cars there are so many wires and almost everything is electrical and he said its too much of a risk.
that i can fry my ECU or start a fire somewhere in the car or something.

but thnx for the help anyways. icon_cool.gif
Tat2Dragons

Post Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:30 pm

DuzzleKid wrote:
ok thnx for the help.
i actually ended up not doing it.
one of my uncles is a mechanic and he said thats its best that i dont cause with newer cars there are so many wires and almost everything is electrical and he said its too much of a risk.
that i can fry my ECU or start a fire somewhere in the car or something.

but thnx for the help anyways. icon_cool.gif

No offence to your Uncle,but if you take your time,really plan out your installation properly,make secure fused connections and such,then there's really not much of a risk at all. icon_wink.gif
bad venge

Post Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:05 pm

Hmmmm I've been running the Pushbutton start since 99 and no troubles icon_rolleyes.gif
The time now is Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:09 pm
Page 1 of 1