Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

Couple Questions On Fuses and Power Sources.

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:52 am

Hey guys...just joined this forum. I have been doing some LED lighting in my town to make some extra cash on the side. The LED's i did where basic bulp swaps. Now im gonna start doing some more in depth work. Im starting to learn wiring and all and have been reading alot. I just ordered a bunch of LED flex strips and LED rocker switches.

So my questions are this:

1. I know if i run the LED strip straight from the battery i should have a fuse....if i don't what can happen/blow? Lets say just a simple LED rocker switch connected to a LED felx strip powered from the car battery?

2. If i tap into a source (lets say cig lighter) i would not need to fuse it correct? Any source i tap into would most likely be fused already so i don't need to?

3. What other sources on cars are usually constant 12V like the cig lighter?

4. How many LED strips can i hook up to 1 connection like a cig lighter, dome light, or trunk light?

5. What fuse would be needed if i where wireing up LED flex strips?

6.how do i search by title only on this forum?!?!? i just joined today and i can't find the "advanced search" or "search titles only" option. How am i supposed to search for a question if im gonna get every random thread out there with my words in it. Hopefully im just overlooking it and theres a way for this. And can you not "subscribe" to threads? How do i keep track of threads i want to keep viewing later on?

Thanks guys for the help.
bad venge

Post Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:00 am

1. I know if i run the LED strip straight from the battery i should have a fuse....if i don't what can happen/blow? Lets say just a simple LED rocker switch connected to a LED felx strip powered from the car battery?
IF a dead short occours wire ect gets pinched the wire will burn up , large enough wire can generate enough heat to burn the car up ... FUSES ARE A MUST

2. If i tap into a source (lets say cig lighter) i would not need to fuse it correct? Any source i tap into would most likely be fused already so i don't need to?
I prefer to run a seperate fuse for the smaller draw LED's as the 20/30 amp fuse might not blow on a smaller short/led trouble

Constant sources are very few , Clock/radio presets ect and those are normally small 5 amp circuits ... You can always run a fused line back from the battery

4. How many LED strips can i hook up to 1 connection like a cig lighter, dome light, or trunk light?
It depends on current draw of the strip different strips use different amounts of current as longer strips have more LED's ... Total up the current draw of each strip and add 15% safety margin to figure fuse needed

Total up the current draw of each strip and add 15% safety margin to figure fuse needed
knatebetz

Post Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:03 am

last question. they're not titles they are topics. and you'll find that in the search aspect on the top bar.

this forum isn't as advanced as other forums. the only way i've kept track of the threads is bookmark it.
PwrRngr

Post Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:13 am

* Short and simple, you can catch the vehicle on fire. There is no reason to not spend $4 and put a fuse within 18" of the battery.

* If you tap into a wire under the dash it will already be fused.

* Like Venge said, there's not going to be a ton of constant sources.

* It depends on the size of the fuse on the circuit. But, you're your going to be adding a bunch of LEDs, you might as well run a new power wire.

* The fuse size depends on what wire you're using. It does NOT depend on what you have hooked to the circuit. Use the sticky to determine the correct fuse for each wire size.
https://www.oznium.com/blog/how-to-determine-the-fuse-wire-size-for-your-project/
byte

Post Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:36 am

-Evolved Boost- wrote:

So my questions are this:

I prefer to use switched power sources (or a relay) to run the led lights. That way if you forget to turn off the switch, the power is cut when the key is off so you don't end up with a dead battery the next morning.
-Evolved Boost-

Post Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:14 am

thanks everyone for the info...appreciate it!

does anyone know what gauge wire comes with the flex strips...what gauge wire should i buy to wire them?
PwrRngr

Post Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:24 am

-Evolved Boost- wrote:
thanks everyone for the info...appreciate it!

does anyone know what gauge wire comes with the flex strips...what gauge wire should i buy to wire them?

Depends on the length of the LED strip. But if you're not doing anything outrageous 18 or 20 would be fine w/ the proper fuse.
The time now is Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:48 am
Page 1 of 1