Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

Cold Cathode Wiring Question..PLEASE HELP!!!

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:38 pm

I bought two cold cathode kits. I also bought a music and flash interface. I'm going to put one cold cathode kit under the dash and one under the front seats. I was going to put the music and flash interface in my trunk where my subs are so that the cold cathodes flash to my bass. I know that the music and flash interface has a switch on it that can turn it on or off or flash or flash to music but it would be in the trunk and I dont want to have to go to the trunk every time to turn it on or off. So I wanted to put a switch up near the driver seat to turn them on when I want and off when I want.

So to wire this whole thing up can I connect both transformers together with one wire than cut that wire in the middle and attach another wire (and solder all those ends together) which will run to the music and flash interface? Than run the 12V+ wire thats from the music and flash interface device to the ACC prong of my switch? Than run a wire from the power prong of my switch to a fuse than to the battery? Would this be a complete connection and not fry anything? If not let me know how to do it right. I'm just making sure that the whole thing works before I go and install it.

Thanks guys
Phil
Owner, Oznium.com

Post Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:59 pm

Yep, you've got the basics down!

A few things to keep in mind: the music interface is ground switched, meaning you should connect both the output 12v+ (red) and 12v- (black) wires to your cathode transformers.

Yes, connect the 12v+ (red) input wire on the music interface to the ACC prong of your switch. Then the power prong on your switch goes to a fused battery. And the ground prong on your switch goes to a ground. And the input 12v- (black) wire on the music interface goes to ground.

You might just keep the music interface inside the car rather than the trunk. It is quite sensitive, and from past experience, I think you should try it inside the car first.

Also, you shouldn't really extend the white wires (the ones that are between the cathode tube and the transformer). There's about 11 inches of wire on each cathode tube. So if you need them more than 2 feet apart, you're better off getting an extra cathode transformer, or just upgrading to LED technology, such as these 10 inch LED Piranha Bars

Here's a diagram I whipped up. Hope it helps:

User posted image
kdizzle

Post Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:27 pm

WOW!!! Thank you very much. This diagram helps so much and thank for all the tips. It couldnt have been done any better again thank you very much. icon_biggrin.gif
JSewell

Post Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:36 pm

one quick thing, where the switch is grounded does not need to be where the music interface is grounded

just trying to save you some wire
The time now is Sun May 27, 2018 12:35 am
Page 1 of 1