Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

tail lights in CA

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Fri Apr 02, 2004 1:30 am

I recently got a citation from a cop because my clear tail lights don't have a red reflector. I have a red bulb though, i thought this was enough. does anyone know what the actual regulation is? I think this cop was just picking on me because I drive a ricaa car ;)
Phil
Owner, Oznium.com

Post Fri Apr 02, 2004 2:07 am

Sorry to hear that, it makes sense though, they want headlights behind you to be able to reflect the light back, etc... I think it is safer that way. Sorry I don't know the laws, you could look through the California Vehicle Code on the DMV site though...

Where in CA are you?
NeonStyl

Post Fri Apr 02, 2004 3:04 am

Well, I don't know the exact California laws either. However, I do know that the law does state down here in FL that taillights must have a rear and side red reflector in them. I would not be surprised in the slightest if CA had the same law and the cop you encountered was telling the truth.

Visit your local public library or courthouse to try to obtain the actual law & statutes in writing tho if you wish.

L8R,
GoldenRod

Post Fri Apr 02, 2004 5:53 am

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc25950.htm

Quote:
Color of Lamps and Reflectors

25950. This section applies to the color of lamps and to any reflector exhibiting or reflecting perceptible light of 0.05 candela or more per foot-candle of incident illumination. Unless provided otherwise, the color of lamps and reflectors upon a vehicle shall be as follows:

(a) The emitted light from all lamps and the reflected light from all reflectors, visible from in front of a vehicle, shall be white or yellow, except as follows:

(1) Rear side marker lamps required by Section 25100 may show red to the front.

(2) The color of foglamps described in Section 24403 may be in the color spectrum from white to yellow.

(b) The emitted light from all lamps and the reflected light from all reflectors, visible from the rear of a vehicle, shall be red except as follows:

(1) Stoplamps on vehicles manufactured before January 1, 1979, may show yellow to the rear.

(2) Turn signal lamps may show yellow to the rear.

(3) Front side marker lamps required by Section 25100 may show yellow to the rear.

(4) Backup lamps shall show white to the rear.

(5) The rearward facing portion of any front-mounted double-faced turn signal lamp may show amber to the rear while the headlamps or parking lamps are lighted, if the intensity of the light emitted is not greater than the parking lamps and the turn signal function is not impaired.

(6) Reflectors meeting the requirements of and installed in accordance with Section 24611 shall be red or white, or both.

(c) All lamps and reflectors visible from the front, sides, or rear of a vehicle, except headlamps, may have any unlighted color, provided the emitted light from all lamps or reflected light from all reflectors complies with the required color. Except for backup lamps, the entire effective projected luminous area of lamps visible from the rear or mounted on the sides near the rear of a vehicle shall be covered by an inner lens of the required color when the unlighted color differs from the required emitted light color. Taillamps, stoplamps, and turn signal lamps that are visible to the rear may be white when unlighted on vehicles manufactured before January 1, 1974.

Here's where the entire CA vehicle and traffic law book is:
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/vc/vc.htm
FlinxSL

Post Fri Apr 02, 2004 4:59 pm

Thanks for the replies, but I am **** because I DO have red tail lights, they are just clear so at a glance they look white, but they are most definately red. ><

Im in Sacramento area in CA, go kings, w00t.
SuBXeRo

Post Wed Apr 07, 2004 3:35 pm

most of the time just as long as u have a red bulb and it illumintaes RED when breaking or whatever, but it being red and seen all the time that seems like **** to me, cause even if it is red, does that tell ppl you're breaking, or that you have your lights on. you know what im saying.
GoldenRod

Post Thu Apr 08, 2004 4:51 am

SuBXeRo wrote:
most of the time just as long as u have a red bulb and it illumintaes RED when breaking or whatever, but it being red and seen all the time that seems like **** to me, cause even if it is red, does that tell ppl you're breaking, or that you have your lights on. you know what im saying.

Ahhh.... you're starting to realize how the American Legal System works.... icon_lol.gif
SuBXeRo

Post Thu Apr 08, 2004 5:06 pm

well whatever that seems like sumthing that if ever brought up in a court room would be dismissed well IMO
The time now is Thu May 24, 2018 8:15 pm
Page 1 of 1