Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

12V Flasher

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:45 pm

So I learned so far that I need a good flasher unit like a Buss 2-Pin flasher from an automotive store. In order to make a light flash with this flasher, do I also need a 5-Pin relay or is that just an added option?
bad venge

Post Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:45 am

they make a flasher harness that it plugs into or you can use a spade lug on each pin of it

Last edited by bad venge on Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total
dspurg7310

Post Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:31 am

being automotive parts I assume I can get that at a store like Auto Zone or something can't I? I'm hoping they're not hard to find. Obviously I don't know squat about cars lol, so thanks for the help!
bad venge

Post Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:49 am

my Napa has them ...I'd assume that autozone would as well

Also what "light"are you trying to make flash ????
Leds ect do not pull enough current to get the flasher going
dspurg7310

Post Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:24 pm

Maybe that's my problem. I'm trying to get 12V leds to flash. There are 3 leds in one lense and I have three lenses. I was going to get two flashers (hopefully one that can be set to flash faster) and make them flash at different rates. So far I have only bought 1 flasher and have no idea what I'm doing or how to make it work. The led lights I have are made for vehicles. I bought them at Wal-Mart in the automotive section. I think they're suppose to be trailer stop and turn signals.
bad venge

Post Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:47 pm

LED's need LED type flashers the large can flashers need large current to get the bimetalic strip to distort enough to get it to flash ...
you can get the remote unit from OZ that gets them to flash or buy the led flasher type relay
dspurg7310

Post Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:51 pm

So is that all I would need then for LEDs is just that single led flasher relay? I wouldn't need any of that other stuff like the flasher harness or spade lug or anything?

I can assume I need that stuff with a regular flasher cause I also have regular turn signal bulbs that work and when hooked up to the flasher I just bought they don't flash either. But I would rather use the leds cause they are those really bright flat-looking ones
Phil
Owner, Oznium.com

Post Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:46 am

dspurg7310

Post Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:51 am

Yup, that looks pretty darn cool and hopefully easy to set up lol. I think I'm gonna have to order one. Y'all should keep one on "layaway" for me cuz I don't get paid until friday (8/14/09) and it says on the product page to "snatch a few before we sell out" and with my luck you'll sell out by the time I get around to buying it...lol

Last edited by dspurg7310 on Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total
bad venge

Post Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:30 am

I Guess we should ask WHAT are you trying to accomplish ??? you mention turn sugnals ect , not sure if you are trying to make LED turn signals ect ...
dspurg7310

Post Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:35 am

ok, well, I'm an emergency volunteer for a local fire department, and I am trying to make flashing lights for my car in the rear for traffic control as inexpensively as possible so I don't have to stoop to buying those code 3 lighting kits for hundreds and thousands of dollars. So basically it needs to be bright, and flashing similar to an emergency vehicle because the idea is to draw attention to your vehicle so drivers will slow down. I think I have solved the "bright" issue with the 12V leds I have found, now I just need to make them flash.
Black DX

Post Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:47 am

User posted image
Ghetto drawing but it's a simple wig-wag set up using a two prong flasher (adjustable ones would allow for flash rate adjustment), a 5pin relay and any 12volt light (i used pre-wired superflux leds as a visual example).
horse517

Post Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:33 am

I have used this wig wag on my atv. It works. The wig wag seems slow. Is there a way to speed it up?
bad venge

Post Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:46 am

buying an adjustable rate flasher can speed it up some but these are meant for turn signal use so the rate is not that fast , Also if you use incandescent bulbs as loads help speed it up (more current)

The Pro made wig wags (Galls Ect) Have a fairly fast rate but they have two relays and a flasher unit in them (Or are electronic) but these are made for headlight/taillight use
dspurg7310

Post Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:52 pm

so where would I find one of these 5 pin relays? I already have a two pin flasher...
And could anyone actually give me a specific manufacturer and part number of a 5 pin flasher that is most recommended for this project? I'll try to find one as close to it as possible, and it'll make my hunt easier knowing what I'm looking for
zanson

Post Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:40 am

dspurg7310

Post Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:16 am

thanks for the help everyone! I'll get my hands on the relay and put everything together and let ya know if it works! Thanks again!
bad venge

Post Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:54 am

Any autopart store has the Bosche Style 30 Amp relay , If you are in a hurry
dspurg7310

Post Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:00 pm

wow, it must be just me. I completely suck at this stuff. I bought the relay and the flasher and connected everything as shown above and I can't get it to do squat but only one bulb lights up and remains lit, nothing flashes or alternates.
byte

Post Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:14 pm

dspurg7310 wrote:
wow, it must be just me. I completely suck at this stuff. I bought the relay and the flasher and connected everything as shown above and I can't get it to do squat but only one bulb lights up and remains lit, nothing flashes or alternates.

Just a guess, but the flasher has to be one that will work LED lights. Normal auto flasher needs more load to start it flashing. If you disconnect wire to terminal 86, (but keep the light grounded) the opposite led should light up.
dspurg7310

Post Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:59 am

Quote:
Just a guess, but the flasher has to be one that will work LED lights. Normal auto flasher needs more load to start it flashing. If you disconnect wire to terminal 86, (but keep the light grounded) the opposite led should light up.

Yeah, I was using these bulbs that came with some previous auto lights I bought because I noticed people were saying that LED lights need more load and had experienced first hand that the LEDs will not make it flash. So I used the bulbs, and I was able to sucessfully get it to light up and it would only alternate if I manually removed the ground wire to the relay (one lit up) then when I put the ground wire back on, the other lit up but neither one flashed. I messed around with it for a little while and got one of the lights to actually flash but they never did an alternating flash pattern on their own
rpaxton

Post Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:13 pm

I was looking at something similar and I found a flasher manufactured by Whelen that allows you to wire in 8 different LED light "heads" and has a scan lock feature where you can select from multiple flash patterns on the go. Search for model ULF28, I have found it for $50, which is reasonable if you make your own lights for it.
The time now is Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:51 am
Page 1 of 1