Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

Zenobia wreck - awesome scuba dive

Author
Owner, Oznium.com

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:15 am

Went down to 108 feet to see this huge ship that sank in 1980 near the port of Larnaca, Cyprus. Got a bit of narcosis around 100 feet, but if you come back up a little bit it goes away. Went inside the ship to have a look around some big chambers. Saw a bunch of huge volvo cargo trucks laying on the sea floor as well as chained to the deck. Saw some perfectly in-tact carpets, the bridge, the lighting system, etc. Saw some animal bones, probably from cows that died when the ship went down. The water was super warm above 40 feet, must've been like 81 degrees, felt like a bathtub. So many fish it was like swimming in an aquarium, rainbow wrasse, barracuda, and grouper.

Considered one of the top 10 wreck dives on the planet. This intense dive was probably my best, beating a night dive on Maui.

Next on list: Egyptian red sea, Australia's great barrier reef

User posted image

User posted image

User posted image

User posted image

User posted image

Also whilst in Cyprus (which is its own country that speaks Greek in the Mediterranean), did some relaxing, some eating of fresh shellfish, and crazy sunrise beach party that I bailed out at 3:30.

thatguy

Post Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:45 am

It's %100 humidity at work and I am broke.

Sounds fun though.
Golfer

Post Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:04 am

Awesome. That looks like a ton of fun.
FooFoo502

Post Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:21 am

Hey Phil, I got a chance to dive the Wall at Guantanamo Bay a few times when I was stationed there in the late 80's. If you get a chance, you should try to finagle one of the extremely guarded travel visa's for pro sport/scientific divers. I'm not sure about now, but back then...and this was when the Gov let NOBODY but us jarheads anywhere near the place, it was still possible to get a 2-day visa specifically to dive the place. You flew in on a MAC flight on Friday afternoon, and were back on the outgoing Sunday night...not cheap, or easy to get (if even still possible) but has to be one of the most unbelievable places I've been. I have over 280 jumps, most at HALO/night jumps, and I still got vertigo peering over the edge...it's that intense.
Phil
Owner, Oznium.com

Post Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:57 pm

Its easy enough to get into Cuba, probably not so easy to get into the base lol. Been to cuba a while back and loved it. HALO/night jumping interests me a lot biglaugh.gif Was looking into a civilian tandem HALO jump from 30,000.

So you mean the wall at Guantanamo gives you vertigo while peering over the edge under water into the deep blue abyss? or what? I know some of the drop offs can be pretty crazy like 300 feet or something.
Kindschi

Post Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:25 pm

Hey Phil.... Not sure if you know this or not but... THERE ARE SHARKS IN THE WATER. WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU??? THOSE THINGS CAN KILL YOU!
Focal Fury

Post Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:03 pm

don't worry he told me how to update the site OZ will still live on
:p

:p biglaugh.gif

D A N N Y
The_Mastor

Post Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:19 pm

Looks awesome Phil puppy_dog_eyes.gif
Highland J

Post Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:03 pm

I hate you..you are living my dream life!
Knox

Post Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:12 pm

My buddy lived in Cyprus for a couple months playing volleyball. He said it's a pretty cool place.
The time now is Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:55 am
Page 1 of 1