Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

Demo Derbys

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:34 pm

I've been to a couple this year..and I decided I kind of want in next year. Anybody else have any experience in this? Since I know jack **** about cars, I was also wondering what car would be good? It has to be common too, If I had to say a year the 90s would be good. I am talking like when I take a good hit I can still get it going, you now stuff like that. Not to bad to take apart and get parts for. My buddy has a station wagon, its been threw 3 demos so far. Had some minor problems last night busted a 2 ty rods entering the feature otherwise it runs like a champ.

EDIT: I don't want any links, I just want some ideas from you guys.
PwrRngr

Post Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:00 pm

I drove in my first derby this year (I've been one of the mechanics for a long time). Won the rookie class and was doing well in the feature until my ground came disconnected. icon_confused.gif

I used an early 90s Crown Vic. Just buy whatever you can get for cheap and go at it. Just a small helpful tip, take out the thermostat. It's not much but it'll buy you a little time to keep the engine cool and prevent it from overheating.
Ryu

Post Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:05 pm

I was thinking about getting a crown vic or a station wagon. I found a junker on CL might give him a call tomorrow to see if it runs. Wants 300 but needs breaks, you really don't need them icon_biggrin.gif.

Crown Vics can hall ass too.
PwrRngr

Post Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:09 pm

You will definitely want brakes. Here's what mine ended up looking like when I was done. Your #1 goal should be to protect your radiator.
User posted image
User posted image
Ryu

Post Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:13 pm

Yeah, a buddy of mine he has a couple wagons but he wants to demo them and use them for parts. He'll be helping me out, as I will be helping him out.

The rear end of your car looks like a real mouth now lol.
coolbam

Post Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:13 pm

I love watching the 4 cylinder cars go at it. None of them get moving fast enough to even warrant a decent hit.

I've seen almost every type of car in demo derbys around here.

At our county fairs you have to have a roll cage style bars on the drivers side and theres a ton of regulation on it for safety.

station wagon ftw in demo derbys.
thesull

Post Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:18 pm

My first demo derby I entered a hearse... did it for 3 years until the outlawed the hearse in the one i did ;)

pwr ranger is correct radiator is key.

They made us brake out all glass. Weld all doors closed and truck etc.

Also we had to make a perm latch for the hood. I used a chain.

They also made us relocate the battery to inside the car and make a kill switch for power.

I went a step further and did a relocate of the radiator... later outlaw'd but it won me the $500 prize ;)
Ryu

Post Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:24 pm

The first match last night they didn't wet the ground. So you where able to get decent traction, I was up close to the action. These two guys put over 1000 bucks into their engines (what do you know it was down to those two at the very end) but everybody later found out they where welding the frames on the car. Big **** diamond welds in the front so the frames wouldn't damage the engines.
PwrRngr

Post Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:32 pm

Rules here are pretty simple.

*Car must be kept "stock" (suspension and engine)
*Drivers door must be white or silver
*All glass and upholstery must removed
*Battery must be in front passenger seat
*Marine fuel cell in back seat
*No intentional hitting in drivers door

Beyond that it's pretty open. Also, the 4 bangers here usually end up moving along a lot better than the larger RWD cars. Simply for the fact that they're FWD and can get more traction in the mud.
Ryu

Post Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:43 pm

You can get different engines around here. Never heard of a white or silver door but I can see why. Otherwise those rules are the same. When I was in the pits we got a 10 minute speech on the rules, I wasn't demoing last night, i was helping out a friend with his car. I'll get a pic of my buddies car up in a few.

No pushing was a huge, they said if I see you pushing I will stop the action and rip your stick off myself. Since the slabs of concrete they where using had kind of a slant to them on both sides.
ChevyCaprice9C1

Post Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:38 pm

my freind does derby all the time and he uses crown vics too i have been wanting to get into derby but i don't have the tools and skill to compete with the insane guys here in my town
Ryu

Post Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:55 pm

When I find a car if its a V6, I am thinking on doing a engine swap to a V8 if it has enough area in the engine bay. I have a couple V8s sitting in my shed from my uncle when he use to stock car race.
bad venge

Post Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:00 pm

PwrRngr wrote:
Rules here are pretty simple.

*Car must be kept "stock" (suspension and engine)
*Drivers door must be white or silver
*All glass and upholstery must removed
*Battery must be in front passenger seat
*Marine fuel cell in back seat
*No intentional hitting in drivers door

Our rules are pretty much the same except NO frame /bumper reinforcements and no 76/78 chrysler imperials (thanks to me ... ) won like 6 years running in the same car , just pulled out the rear damage evry yearand reentered

Other tips/tricks : best treaded snow tires you can find on the drive wheels (best traction)
Calcium fill the tires and drill and screw the beads to the rim
Ryu

Post Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:05 pm

^^ I don't want to ruin it..I wanna be the guy who gets helped out like my buddy did last night when his ty rods broke. We tried to get them fixed but we only got one in in 10-15 minutes. We had like 5 people working on his car. He also had a flat that me and his brother put on while he and 2 other people where working on the ty rod.
Tat2Dragons

Post Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:37 pm

Awesome! Looks like so much fun. icon_cool.gif

User posted image

^^I bet your neighbors love seeing that in your yard. icon_smile.gif
PwrRngr

Post Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:20 am

Tat2Dragons wrote:
Awesome! Looks like so much fun. icon_cool.gif

User posted image

^^I bet your neighbors love seeing that in your yard. icon_smile.gif

I don't care what my neighbors think. I field dressed and processed a deer in my front yard b/c the neighbor across the street came to my door and lectured me on how I shouldn't hunt.
bad venge

Post Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:32 am

icon_lol.gif AWESOME I hate tree huggers icon_lol.gif
Moss

Post Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:36 pm

Skip all the safety stuff. You will be fine. May I suggest a Pinto with a full tank of gas.
DJTricky

Post Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:32 pm

People around my parents place enter mid 70's cars. I know this year we had alot of Impala s a few lincolns one random ass ford, but in the end one of the lincolns won.

EDIT: this was supposed to be posted by barbie not me
Ryu

Post Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:33 am

I am going to either try and get ahold of a crow vic or some type of wagon. I am probably just going to go with a wagon, due to the fact they can take a great beating and plus that huge ass of the wagon and do some damage and take some damage too.
robbie

Post Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:16 pm

alot of wagons raditaors also sit very far from the front.

Its why alot of them are seen running in derbys
Ryu

Post Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:33 pm

robbie wrote:
alot of wagons raditaors also sit very far from the front.

Its why alot of them are seen running in derbys

I've been reading up on some cars in the 80s-90s, and yeah I am leaning more towards a wagon if i can find one around my area. I'll just take whatever common car I can get. If I can get two for dirt cheap i'll be made
PwrRngr

Post Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:25 am

Make sure you buy some sledge hammers. After a round you need some precision adjusting to get everything right. icon_lol.gif
Ryu

Post Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:14 am

PwrRngr wrote:
Make sure you buy some sledge hammers. After a round you need some precision adjusting to get everything right. icon_lol.gif

That's a first thing on my list to buy. biglaugh.gif
bad venge

Post Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:35 am

I alway use a heavy duty chain wrapped around a convenient telephone pole for those "precision" adjustments
Ryu

Post Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:58 am

^^

I'll have to keep some of these ideas for "adjustments."
Ryu

Post Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:57 pm

Gunna check this out tomorrow, just found it tonight. I hope it runs!!
SickWitIt

Post Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:56 pm

Moss wrote:
Skip all the safety stuff. You will be fine. May I suggest a Pinto with a full tank of gas.

I lol'd
The time now is Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:52 am
Page 1 of 1