Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

HELP. 2 projects. little know how

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:53 pm

i own an 05 GMC Envoy and these are the 2 projects that i have;
#1. i hav 14 prewired leds (11 blue 3mm & 3 white 5mm) being used as "accent" lighting, for door pockets, center console, overhead storage, etc, etc. all are going to connect to a blue led rocker switch.
#2. i have 11 blue prewired leds (6 5mm & 5 3mm) in the air vents, which i also plan to connect to a separate blue rocker switch.

ive bought 18 gauge wire for this insatllation. all 25 leds and the 2 rocker switches have already been installed where i want them. also everything here is from oznium.com, in case that helps.

here are my questions:

thats a lot of wires! how can i wire these without headache or clutter?
will 18 gauge wire b enough?
what size fuse should i use for both?
Tdawgthegreatest

Post Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:49 am

I'd say probably a 3amp fuse would be plenty.
18 guage is fine.
Wire all the positive wires together. Connect them to a single wire for positive.
And do the same with the ground.
bad venge

Post Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:00 am

You'll need to properly route the wires and secure them with wire ties, hot glue or silicone to the panels , Same with securing the LED's , You also need to make sure the wires move to the door openings/closings as well
PwrRngr

Post Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:24 am

18 gauge wire is good for 16A. You could use a 15A fuse if you really wanted but I would use a 10A fuse. Don't fuse for the load. Do it correctly and fuse for the wire size.
ScubaSteve81

Post Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:00 am

will i need separate fuses connecting to the battery for each rocker switch? or will tapping into the cig lighter b enuff to power 1 of them?
bad venge

Post Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:08 am

I prefer to tap to a key off circuit in side then you use an add a circuit with fuse there (prevents coming out to a dead battery if you leave them on) then I like to individualy fuse each circuit seperately before the switch ...
ScubaSteve81

Post Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:44 am

i dont really understand. ive seen ur ride n u seem 2 hav sum experience. i dont. please explain.

p.s. pretend im retarded icon_smile.gif
bad venge

Post Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:12 am

Add a fuse= a device that piggybacks onto an existing fuse , it recieves power from the fuse block AND has a second accessory fuse to use for your lighting , Available at Oznium or any autoparts store or radio scrap in the land ... Use a fuse sized for the TOTAL load / Wiring there .... Install a secondary fuse In front of each switch for the approximate load /wiring you have there ... I like seperate fuses as if theres trouble on one load , it won't kill both loads , also simplifies troubleshooting as you know where the trouble is

If you run power out to the battery leaving the switches on can leave you stranded with a dead battery ...
Key Off is a circuit that turns OFF when the keys removed , Example Radio, HVAC, Defroster are easily found and used fuses
ScubaSteve81

Post Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:55 am

thanks! im out of my element but i plan on doing everything i can 2 get this dun. how can i find the Key Off circuit??
bad venge

Post Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:04 am

Like mentioned Any of those fuses I listed will work . you'll have to identify them from YOUR fuseblock/owners manual
JSewell

Post Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:29 pm

i can't find the 'add a fuse' on the products page.I could be missing it but i deff looked over the install section.

Does oznium still sell em?
Tat2Dragons

Post Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:25 am

JSewell wrote:
i can't find the 'add a fuse' on the products page.I could be missing it but i deff looked over the install section.

Does oznium still sell em?

It's usually called an add-a-circuit and no Oznium doesn't sell them. icon_smile.gif

bad venge

Post Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:41 am

I could have swore OZ started selling them cause EVERY post on "How do I install" says use them icon_lol.gif
Tat2Dragons

Post Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:36 am

bad venge wrote:
I could have swore OZ started selling them cause EVERY post on "How do I install" says use them icon_lol.gif

Yeah they really should sell them,plus a few other installation items. icon_cool.gif
ScubaSteve81

Post Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:01 pm

thanks. i love these forums. i probably would've been wicked lost if not for this forum and help from u guys.

when im done with it all ill post pics icon_cool.gif
Aken

Post Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:02 pm

There's a nasty patent associated with those things, so getting them manufactured is asking for trouble. And finding a cheap dealer for them is hard. It's been a back-burner to-do thing for a while.
Tat2Dragons

Post Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:27 am

Aken wrote:
There's a nasty patent associated with those things, so getting them manufactured is asking for trouble. And finding a cheap dealer for them is hard. It's been a back-burner to-do thing for a while.

Yeah I could see where that could be somewhat of a problem. icon_confused.gif If it ever happens,I'm sure those add-a-circuits would sell like crazy on here. icon_smile.gif
The time now is Tue May 22, 2018 8:46 am
Page 1 of 1