Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

can leds be hooked up to cigarette lighter?

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:04 pm

i know neon can be hooked up to the cigarette lighter can the led flexible strips be hooked up that way? thanks
Phil
Owner, Oznium.com

Post Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:08 pm

Sure
lrmusatng91

Post Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:17 pm

if i may ask how? i do not know much about lighting
robbie

Post Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:31 pm

Yes they can it's how i powered all my LED's when i had them.

It's already fused so i never put a fuse in line. Oh well sue me.

Just if you want them to come on with a switch get on you like and wire positive to positive. Negative to negative.

If you don't know which is which on your cig lighter check out the 12volt.com. They have some wiring info on cars that could possibly help you out.
Phil
Owner, Oznium.com

Post Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:20 pm

lrmusatng91 wrote:
if i may ask how? i do not know much about lighting

two ways:

1) use a cigarette plug from some existing part, cut the wires, pull the two wires apart a little bit, strip the rubber off the wires about an inch, and hook up the positive and negative wires to your LED strips. if it doesnt light up, try flipping the wires around. with this method, you'll have to plug it into your cigarette plug.

2) pull whatever dash pieces off so that you can get to the back side of the cigarette lighter plug, and there will be two wires. splice into them and hook up your led strip wires. same thing, if it doesn't light up, try flipping the wires around. with this method, the wiring will be hidden, and you will still have use of your cigarette plug for a cell phone charger, etc.
lrmusatng91

Post Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:49 am

okay thanks
CaliberTman12

Post Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:27 pm

Generally at a glance, the two/three wires behind the cig lighter (how i wired all my interior lighting), the one with the brightest main color(white, tan, red, etc.) is 90% likely to be positive. Any dark color wire with a second dark color or just all dark in general (black, dark blue) is likely negative. anything other than that (green, light blue, some strange color) is either data or ground but I highly doubt that data would be sent to a cig lighter =P. I suggest the cig lighter either way that way you don't risk running the bat down while you are away from you'r car and the light switch (if applied) is on and as Robbie said, its already fused so no need for extra parts. And as Phil stated, the wire is all hidden so it looks more professional!
The time now is Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:42 pm
Page 1 of 1