Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

Is it legal to have red+blue LED's and strobes in NY?

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:18 pm

I have a vehicle I am working on and I will soon post it to Oznium. But I have strobes in my corner lights and red and blue L.E.D's under my door handles. I also will put red and blue L.E.D's in the front grill. My question is when is legal at all to place these devices on my vehicle in NYS
zup89_4

Post Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:24 pm

you can have them on the car (for car shows only) if you turn them on at all espessially while driving you will prolly be charged with impersinating and office and goto jail... but you can have them for car shows or if your in a parking lot you could prolly have um on

hope this helps
A-Ray

Post Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:28 pm

Honestly it all depends on state lighting laws. Every state is different. The best/easiest way to find out for sure is to just find a police officer and ask them.

On a side note, why is this sticky?
MSPECTYPES

Post Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:37 pm

Hey thanks guys I'll be sure to call the local PD anyway. I will also try to answer any questions you may have
Kindschi

Post Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:40 pm

Def would not use them when driving.. If your sitting in a parking lot I would not be worried but if you drive with em on your asking for trouble.

Ditto on the Sticky
Tat2Dragons

Post Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:45 pm

Do yourself a favor and stay away from those colors on the exterior of your vehicle as they are obviously colors used by the Police. I seriously doubt that they would actually be cool with any citizen crusing around on public roadways with those colors. icon_confused.gif Then again I could be wrong. icon_razz.gif
orangesuburban

Post Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:41 pm

i have red, white and blue strobes on my car in florida it is as follows...(ive asked a few cops and a few state troopers and on highway patrol) i would assume it holds true for just about anywhere in the country...

you can have LEO colors (r,w,b) on the car, they can not be on while driving and they can not flash.

if you have flashing LEO colors and use them while you are driving down the road you will have your car impounded possible crushed depending on the other illegal mods on the car and you will go to jail with the felony charge of impersonating an officer.

if you want to display the colors steady or flashing you must be either 1, in a show setting. or 2 on a PRIVATE road (drive way or parking lot) that is NOT visible from a major road way (major is as defined by the officer at the time of incident.)

i have shown my near major road ways but not with the flashing pointing towards the roadways.

i have shown mine in parking lots with cars all around me and not visible from the road and had a cop come bug me about them. When i told him what the FHP told me he said "yeah well, i could still take you in if i wanted to."

here FHP > state trooper > cop so i follow the FHP guidelines.

also, if your car is running to show the lights, pull the ebrake up, it helps add to your case that you werent about to bolt into traffic.

lastly, in the event that you come up on a fresh accident and feel the need to be a good Samaritan and divert traffic until the real people show up.... its your call, ive used the white strobes to due so, you get 20 questions from the cops about it but they are usually thankful in the end. ive never used the red and blues for this act tho.

()
itzbjorn

Post Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:32 pm

I've used the white strobes (in the headlight projectors) and red strobes (superflux LED tail-lights) on my motorcycle, at the scene of a motorcycle crash.

Not so much as a bother. Not to say it can't happen, but... you know. icon_rolleyes.gif

Impersonating a police officer takes a more than just some flashing red and blue lights, by the way. Driving through traffic, making people pull over? Yeah, now you've gone and done it.

Sitting in a parking lot, showing off to some friends? The cop is just wasting your time, and theirs. Yeah, you'll get an equipment fine, but you're not gonna get your car impounded and crushed.
saisofine

Post Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:48 pm

yea i got a major ticket for "impersonating and Officer" i live in Oregon and i would not recommend driving with them on or even in a parking lot where any officers can see you. i was even parked and he still nailed me.
zup89_4

Post Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:04 am

damn i gta be careful lol
The time now is Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:17 pm
Page 1 of 1