Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

Bomb is ticking, which wire to cut?

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:46 am

Well now that I have your full attention, biglaugh.gif , I am wiring in some more LEDs into my car, have not tried running any off of my headunit before. But at the moment my headunit seams the only logical thing to use. There are no other sources near by. So, I pulled apart my center console, exposing the guts of my glory. And am now baffled as to which two of the gazillion wires are suitable for a positive and negative that will simply turn te LEDs on and off when I start and shut off the vehicle. My best guess was remote and ground wires, but I've not a clue which two they are. As you can see by fingers, I've isolated a red, black, and a green that look perty important to me. Think these would work? Or any of the other wires that range from one end of the colour spectrum to the other?

ChevyCaprice9C1

Post Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:49 am

i am pretty sure that the remote wire would be blue at least it was on my car
Tdawgthegreatest

Post Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:55 am

yeah that dark blue one on the bottom, tap into that. Will turn lights (or give power to switches or whateva) when the deck turns on.
Ryu

Post Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:04 pm

Cut the red one
Phil
Owner, Oznium.com

Post Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:11 pm

Just don't power too many LEDs off of it. Usually it has a max of like 1 or 2 amps.
Tdawgthegreatest

Post Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:12 pm

Or you could just run a Fused wire from the battery icon_biggrin.gif
byte

Post Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:24 pm

The head unit will have 2 power wires going INTO it. A constant 12 volt (marked battery--red) and a Switched power (marked ignition-- orange). Use the ignition and a ground. The blue (remote) can only handle small amount of load.
Brandon

Post Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:24 pm

If you buy an aftermarket harness, a lot of them have the wire colors mapped for you. If not, it looks like this guy has right idea: http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82553

I would clarify what 12v+ Switched (timer) is, but that would be my starting point since it is independent of the head unit. The remote wire, which may only exist on an aftermarket head unit, would also work, but only when the head unit is turned on.
Tdawgthegreatest

Post Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:52 pm

Orange is Phone Mute.
mntndewboy69

Post Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:27 pm

Blue and Black worked perfect for me, thanks! I am only running two very small LED's it shouldn't be too much of a load for the remote wire. Everything works fine. Pictures later.

Next project. I have two 15" LED strips that at the moment are electrical taped to the underside of my TV stand (they will not show later, they are drooping now from only small amount of tape on each end). I have not removed the film off the double sided tape just yet and placed them permanently. I will not do so until I figure out a way to power them permanently and not with the little demo swith they give you with the product. I have three adaptors laying around I am willing to splice and dice and shrimp fried rice but they are:

1) INPUT: 120V AC 60 Hz OUTPUT: 9V DC 800mA
2) INPUT: 100-240V ~50/60Hz OUTPUT: +5V ===2A
3) INPUT: 100-240V ~50/60Hz OUTPUT: 5.1V ===0.7A

Would any of these be worth splicing to the strips and pluggin into the wall to power or does it have to be a 12V 10A adapter, no questions asked?

Black DX

Post Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:48 pm

Tdawgthegreatest wrote:
Orange is Phone Mute.

That's brown, not orange.

In the pic you can clearly see an orange tag that reads " Illumination Controll" on an Orange with white stripe. now depending on the car this will either be a positive or negative trigger, it should be a positive signal but it's hard to say for sure.

Yellow is battery (+)
Red is ignition (+)
Orange is illumination, it can be positive or negative from the car...
Blue is antenna (+)
Blue with white stripe is amp remote (+)
Black is Ground(-)
Green/grey/purple/white pairs are auido
Brown is mute (-)
*edited

Last edited by Black DX on Fri Dec 25, 2009 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total
Black DX

Post Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:50 pm

mntndewboy69 wrote:
Blue and Black worked perfect for me, thanks! I am only running two very small LED's it shouldn't be too much of a load for the remote wire. Everything works fine. Pictures later.

Next project. I have two 15" LED strips that at the moment are electrical taped to the underside of my TV stand (they will not show later, they are drooping now from only small amount of tape on each end). I have not removed the film off the double sided tape just yet and placed them permanently. I will not do so until I figure out a way to power them permanently and not with the little demo swith they give you with the product. I have three adaptors laying around I am willing to splice and dice and shrimp fried rice but they are:

1) INPUT: 120V AC 60 Hz OUTPUT: 9V DC 800mA
2) INPUT: 100-240V ~50/60Hz OUTPUT: +5V ===2A
3) INPUT: 100-240V ~50/60Hz OUTPUT: 5.1V ===0.7A

Would any of these be worth splicing to the strips and pluggin into the wall to power or does it have to be a 12V 10A adapter, no questions asked?

you can run led stips at 9volts, they won't be as nearly bright but will work. 5 volts isn't enought to illuminate the leds in those strips.
clutch1

Post Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:01 am

Actually.. in EVERY car I've EVER installed in, switched ignition is the red wire. Yellow is for constant 12V/memory. Blue is dependent on the harness/ radio brand.. sometimes remote, sometimes antenna, so you'd need to check the manual (or w/ a multimeter) to clarify. (worst case scenario using the blue wires is you end up w/ LEDs that turn on w/ the radio and off with a CD, LOL!)

Let me clarify exactly which red, as well. NOT the one you're holding, and NOT the one with the translucent casing. It'll be the one in the 16pin black plug in the back of the radio, right between the blue/white and black wires.

Tap it into the red (switched ignition), and use that to turn on a relay... unless it's just to power a handful of LEDs.
mccook8

Post Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:45 pm

I say we take off and nuke the site from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure.
Tdawgthegreatest

Post Fri Dec 25, 2009 4:16 pm

My illumination is blue, and my mute wire is bright orange.
The time now is Tue May 22, 2018 10:05 pm
Page 1 of 1