Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

HID kit on 04 grand cherokee

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:37 pm

I just got an 04 grand cherokee uses 9006 for low
and I am trying to install the HIDs out of my previous car 96 galant also uses 9006 for lows

The kit works I removed it working from the car and reinstalled it and it still works

I tried to install in Jeep and they wont turn on. I was told to get a harness with a relay and tried that and still not working.

any ideas?

thanks
Jason
daven75

Post Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:06 pm

try reversing the polarities at the hook up from the ballast to the bulb. i believe. i had to on my car.
MrJayDeeOne

Post Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:32 pm

with the relay harness or without?
daven75

Post Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:53 pm

o well i did use a relay, so im not 100% sure. :/ sorry.
MrJayDeeOne

Post Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:54 pm

its okay thanks anywho
daven75

Post Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:59 pm

np, i think i changed the polarity where the stock harness goes into the ballast.
MrJayDeeOne

Post Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:36 pm

okay I tried this again today.
I tried to reverse the harness and still no luck.
I did notice that when I had both stock bulbs hooked up and turned the headlights on with drivers door open I got the reminder chime that the lights were on. When I had 1 hid in and 1 stock bulb, the stock bulb was on, not the hid, but also no warning chime.
I have a few other questions now.
I shouldn't have to have jeep running for the hids to come on correct?
Also I shouldn't have to have both sides hooked up either correct?
And 1 more. On the relay is the metal tab that's used to mount it, is that tab also to ground it?
daven75

Post Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:40 pm

u shouldnt have to have it running no. but u may drain ur battery sooner or later.
and no to both sides, one SHOULD be fine, i would do both tho just to be sure.
as for the relay, it is very possible, it would make sense with them not turning on, ummm try grounding it. and hmmm, im not to sure about like anything else to try :[ do jeeps come stock with HIDs? like the srt one? if so, maybe go check one out and see how their wiring is? idk man, sorry :[
MrJayDeeOne

Post Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:31 pm

its cool. no need to apolize. Well stock and aftermarket would be different though right?
Well as far as if the relay is being grouded or not. I have pulled the relay from the harness plugged it back in while everything is connected and I can hear the relay "click" so I am thinking that's all good
saisofine

Post Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:36 pm

i found this forum on GC HID's thought it might be useful.

http://www.cherokeesrt8.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3227
MrJayDeeOne

Post Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:15 pm

saisofine wrote:

thanks for that. I already tried a relay like they said and it still didn't work. I know this shouldn't be a big hard ordeal to install. That's what's killing me. I have a friend that had an 00 GC and had HIDs in highs, lows, and fogs. He ended up with a shop he uses doing the install. I am going to take a ride over there tomorrow or the next day and see if they can get this working right
saisofine

Post Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:57 pm

MrJayDeeOne wrote:
saisofine wrote:

thanks for that. I already tried a relay like they said and it still didn't work. I know this shouldn't be a big hard ordeal to install. That's what's killing me. I have a friend that had an 00 GC and had HIDs in highs, lows, and fogs. He ended up with a shop he uses doing the install. I am going to take a ride over there tomorrow or the next day and see if they can get this working right

hmm weird. sounds like a good idea. im sure he will figure it out
MrJayDeeOne

Post Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:33 pm

saisofine wrote:
MrJayDeeOne wrote:
saisofine wrote:

thanks
now I hear I might need resistors to trick the jeep into thinking stock bulbs are actually there
saisofine

Post Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:37 pm

MrJayDeeOne wrote:
saisofine wrote:
MrJayDeeOne wrote:
saisofine wrote:

thanks
now I hear I might need resistors to trick the jeep into thinking stock bulbs are actually there

true true or maybe a warning error capacitors might work also. thats what most BMW and foreign cars use OEM. but maybe thats why your Jeep is having the same problem
daven75

Post Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:08 am

i would try resistors, i've heard that works
MrJayDeeOne

Post Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:25 pm

Still trying to figure this out, but I was told that all I should need is the relay harness cause they need to be powered off the battery. And I just might have a cheap HID kit with low voltage. I have someone local to me on another forum that sells HID kits and he will help me troubleshoot them and even let me try out one of his kits or atleast the ballasts to see if maybe what I have is just a cheap kit or if my jeep just doesn't want to have HIDs haha
saisofine

Post Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:00 pm

MrJayDeeOne wrote:
Still trying to figure this out, but I was told that all I should need is the relay harness cause they need to be powered off the battery. And I just might have a cheap HID kit with low voltage. I have someone local to me on another forum that sells HID kits and he will help me troubleshoot them and even let me try out one of his kits or atleast the ballasts to see if maybe what I have is just a cheap kit or if my jeep just doesn't want to have HIDs haha

that may be possible. some HID kits do need more voltage than others, anll kits are made diferantl. so hooking up a HIDrelay kit will send more power to the ballast. it wouls just be like hooking up a set of foglights. it can be a DIY thing
Blazin'88Buick

Post Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:47 pm

Have tried looking at which wires are the pos and neg on you stock headlight plugs anf comparing them to the wiring configuration of your HID kit? I had to do this on my car as well cuz the pos and neg were switched on the HID side of the plugs. Just something to look at.
MrJayDeeOne

Post Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:27 pm

saisofine wrote:
MrJayDeeOne wrote:

that may be possible. some HID kits do need more voltage than others, anll kits are made diferantl. so hooking up a HIDrelay kit will send more power to the ballast. it wouls just be like hooking up a set of foglights. it can be a DIY thing

yeah I tried the relay and harness and that didn't help. No sense in keeping on buying parts that might or might not solve the problem. On monday or Tuesday I am going to meet up with someone local that sells HIDs and see if we can figure this out.

Blazin'88Buick wrote:
Have tried looking at which wires are the pos and neg on you stock headlight plugs anf comparing them to the wiring configuration of your HID kit? I had to do this on my car as well cuz the pos and neg were switched on the HID side of the plugs. Just something to look at.

I already tried to reverse the polarity also. Some people have said that this might be it
Tdawgthegreatest

Post Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:58 pm

I had to cut the stock plugs and HID plugs off and hardwire them in. Cause the plugs wouldnt let the HID's turn on.
MrJayDeeOne

Post Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:33 pm

now that is something I know I shouldn't have to do LOL. I actually just talked to someone who told me they have ddm kit and they just worked plug and play. So I think its pretty safe to say the HIDs I got are just no good for the jeep. And all the wiring in the jeep is cool since I am able to use my stock lights
Tdawgthegreatest

Post Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:52 pm

MrJayDeeOne wrote:
now that is something I know I shouldn't have to do LOL. I actually just talked to someone who told me they have ddm kit and they just worked plug and play. So I think its pretty safe to say the HIDs I got are just no good for the jeep. And all the wiring in the jeep is cool since I am able to use my stock lights

I was able to use my stock lights too. I dont know why it wouldnt let me turn them on before. *shrug* oh well.
MrJayDeeOne

Post Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:28 pm

Tdawgthegreatest wrote:
MrJayDeeOne wrote:

I was able to use my stock lights too. I dont know why it wouldnt let me turn them on before. *shrug* oh well.

that's pretty weird for sure
Chevyboi14

Post Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:09 pm

when i got mine, mine would not turn on.. i was sittin there thinking ... hmmm WTF!! then figured out that the way they made the plug in was push on upside down so i fliped it over and BOOM 5k ingaged icon_smile.gif
dreamps

Post Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:11 pm

you dont need resistors at all... go to jeepgarage.org and sign up and post. they will help you... a lot of people have your year jeep and have fog lights. yours is a WJ and TONS of people have hids for them.
MrJayDeeOne

Post Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:43 am

dreamps wrote:
you dont need resistors at all... go to jeepgarage.org and sign up and post. they will help you... a lot of people have your year jeep and have fog lights. yours is a WJ and TONS of people have hids for them.

yeah I have been reading more and more I am on 2 other jeep forums. I just need the relay kit. I ordered a new set of HIDs from DDMtuning last week. I am gonna just chalk it up to the HID kit I got is cheap and isn't going to work out here.
MrJayDeeOne

Post Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:30 pm

woohoo my HIDs were just delivered. I still got 30 minutes at work. wonder if it will stop snowing this evening for me to install them.
Tdawgthegreatest

Post Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:00 pm

Yay for DDM hids! Hope the install goes great for you.
MrJayDeeOne

Post Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:32 pm

well the install went...
well I installed them with the relay and they didn't turn on. I installed without the relay and they worked just fine. I don't know what I did, but I didn't start the jeep during the install, just keep on turning the lights on and off without the jeep running. At any rate I went to start the jeep 2 hours later to go to work and she was dead. I did't have time to jump, so I took my wifes car to work. I will jump the jeep in the AM when I get home. I am hoping I just drained the battery temporarily and there isn't a constant drain happening.
MrJayDeeOne

Post Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:06 pm

well everything is okay now. I jumped the jeep when I got home this AM and it started right up. I brought it to mechanic to get battery and charging system tested (all was fine), just wanted to make sure I didn't wake to dead jeep when I had to go to work. Woke early started it and no problems, and then started right up again to leave for work.
The time now is Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:58 pm
Page 1 of 1