Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

Nalgene Bottles...

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:13 am

Did you guys actually stop drinking from Nalgene bottles? There was a chemical in them that if heated/cracked/long term usage could make you ill... Did you guys actually stop using them? I know alot of people that switched over to the metal bottles, but those are just brutal. Nalgene makes new ones with a different material, but I have like 6 old ones.
Tdawgthegreatest

Post Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:25 am

*blinks*
Dunno what those are.
Moss

Post Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:32 am

User posted image
TRogers

Post Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:44 am

Never drank from one to begin with...interesting.
PwrRngr

Post Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:35 am

I've always had them for camping and still always use them. Never gotten sick that I know of.

There's always reports and claims coming out on things that will harm you. I believe it was also said not to use plastic tupperware b/c when heated it leaches something into the food. I don't believe everythings true. I still use plastic tupperware.

Don't think of it as getting ill. Think of it as building your immune system.
Brandon

Post Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:47 am

The chemical is BPA. Unless you use the bottle a ton, the chemical probably isn't a concern, but if you are buying a new bottle, make sure it is BPA free (if it is, it will advertise it). I use these bottles and love them (love the whole company actually): More about Nalgene and BPA: http://www.treehugger.com/files/2008/04/bpa-in-water.php
Lankhimself

Post Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:37 am

Metal bottles are brutal? What? I have three of these and I love them.
Tat2Dragons

Post Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:51 am

I have some of the newer Nalgene bottles and I drink from them everyday. I also like the stainless bottles too.icon_smile.gif
Bobby Lee

Post Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:02 pm

I lose water bottles way to much to bother buying anything nice. I just refill Gatorade bottles until they disappear, then I get another one.
pOrk

Post Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:48 pm

Moss wrote:
I know alot of people that switched over to the metal bottles, but those are just brutal.

What?

Thats all I use.
The_Mastor

Post Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:03 pm

I never drank from one, only tried to blow one up... So apparently I was saving lives icon_eek.gif Go me biglaugh.gif
Highland J

Post Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:15 pm

icon_rolleyes.gif ^
The_Mastor

Post Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:18 pm

Yes that was a sarcastic joke there mister icon_smile.gif Don't go all chevyboi on me !
Moss

Post Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:40 pm

pOrk wrote:
Moss wrote:
I know alot of people that switched over to the metal bottles, but those are just brutal.

What?

Thats all I use.

I don't like the metal touching my lips. I'm not some crazy person who is like anti-magnet fields, but I was used to Nalgenes for years, then got a few of the metal ones and dislike them, also can't see how much water is in them.
PwrRngr

Post Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:57 pm

Moss wrote:
I don't like the metal touching my lips. I'm not some crazy person who is like anti-magnet fields, but I was used to Nalgenes for years, then got a few of the metal ones and dislike them, also can't see how much water is in them.

Anti-magnet fields??? HUH? I'm not really sure what that means (although I also prefer Nalgene over metal bottles) but nearly all metal bottles are Aluminum. Aluminum is non-magnetic.
Moss

Post Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:02 pm

PwrRngr wrote:
Moss wrote:

Anti-magnet fields??? HUH? I'm not really sure what that means (although I also prefer Nalgene over metal bottles) but nearly all metal bottles are Aluminum. Aluminum is non-magnetic.

You know the crazy people I'm talking about the people that think that metal is somehow radiating some sort of frequency that causes illness. Crazy people.
Tdawgthegreatest

Post Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:56 pm

Lol at The_Mastors post.
Phil
Owner, Oznium.com

Post Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:35 pm

Nalgene is really durable, I used 2 of them on a 26 day backpacking trip and they got really beat up. But they still function great and can hold hot liquids.
Moss

Post Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:57 am

Phil wrote:
Nalgene is really durable, I used 2 of them on a 26 day backpacking trip and they got really beat up. But they still function great and can hold hot liquids.

I believe that hot liquids increased the chemical release.
PwrRngr

Post Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:52 am

Moss wrote:
PwrRngr wrote:
Moss wrote:

You know the crazy people I'm talking about the people that think that metal is somehow radiating some sort of frequency that causes illness. Crazy people.

I did not know about them. But I'll make sure to be on the lookout and avoid them. icon_lol.gif

Phil wrote:

They are very durable for everyday use. But there are 2 things that will ruin them very easily. Don't fill them FULL of water and then freeze the bottle (did this when I was 13). Also, mineral spirits will eat right through Lexan.
The time now is Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:18 am
Page 1 of 1