Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

Inferno rocker switch mount hole size

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:01 pm

I have a 2009 Toyota Corolla and I just recently purchased the Inferno Underbody Kit. Included with the Inferno was a rocket switch to power on/off kit. I have extra accessory switch holes on my dash for add-ons. However, the switch that came with the Inferno is smaller than the hole. I have ordered a blank from Toyota to cut out a hole in the center to mount the switch, but need the correct rocket switch measurements from Oznium.com to mount and install the switch correctly. Can anyone help with these measurements or maybe recommend what else I can do?
Phil
Owner, Oznium.com

Post Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:07 pm

You can mount the switch in other areas. Doesn't have to be on a switch blank. You could mount it hidden from view, under the dash, but still reachable. You could mount it in the glove box.

You could also discard the switch, and replace it with any other switch style of your choosing.

I think it is difficult to cut out a rectangular hole for the switch.

Any chance the holes in the dash look like they'd fit Oznium's Scion switches? That might be a nice option if it fits.
lightfxboy

Post Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:09 pm

Phil, I was looking at the scion siwtches. Looks they might work. How hard is it to switch out the switch on the inferno?
Tdawgthegreatest

Post Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:16 pm

Cut and replace the wires. Simple.
lightfxboy

Post Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:39 pm

so, why wasn't a normal sized switch included with the inferno? Is this just a way to get customers to spend more money? ;P
bad venge

Post Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:56 pm

Depends on what CAR you are mounting it on ... Hard to account for EVERY vehicle made ...
Thats just a standard switch can be made to work for most any application
Tdawgthegreatest

Post Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:23 pm

Just a standard switch.
Phil
Owner, Oznium.com

Post Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:43 am

Lightfxboy - a green scion switch is on it's way to you first thing Monday morning. Free of charge to a great customer icon_smile.gif Appreciate your continued support over the last few months.
SickWitIt

Post Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:04 am

^And again, more awesome customer service.
Tim

Post Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:24 am

Sorry, but can't you measure the switch yourself so you know what size hole you need?
bad venge

Post Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:19 am

Tis better to complain and get a free switch I guess
lightfxboy

Post Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:43 pm

@Phil: Thanks, totally unexpected. Thanks for a great company with great customer service.

lightfxboy wrote:
so, why wasn't a normal sized switch included with the inferno? Is this just a way to get customers to spend more money? ;P

bad venge wrote:
Tis better to complain and get a free switch I guess

@bad venge: If you referring to that post I made, I was not complaining. It was a playful joke. As you can see there is a ;P after to comment to notate that.
lightfxboy

Post Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:35 pm

So, I received the new switch from Phil, which I really do appreciate. The new switch has three prongs. The current switch on the Inferno only has two prongs. I've got the tech info diagram from the website to show what wire goes where, but how do I go from a 2 wire hookup to a 3 wire hookup.

Also, I'm assuming the positive wires are the black wires with white stripe. If this is the case, both wires going into switch that comes with Inferno are both positive wires and the negative wires are fused, but do not attach to the switch.

How do I make switch switches?
A-Ray

Post Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:58 pm

As for you 3 prong switch, one prong is for power, one is for your lights, and one is for your ground.

Run a wire from your power source (battery, fuse block, whatever) to one prong; run the red (power) wire from the inferno kit to the middle prong; run the black (ground) wire from the inferno to the other prong and also run a wire from a ground on the car to the third prong.
lightfxboy

Post Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:01 am

So, I need to run additional wires just to get this switch to work? I can't cut into any of the wires near the switch on the Inferno and some how replace that switch?

Also, looks like the switch is bigger than the hole in the car. icon_sad.gif
A-Ray

Post Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:37 am

Yes, you can replace the switch that came with the inferno.

The switch there now has two prongs, right? If so, one is power that you will run to the middle prong of the new switch. The other wire is ground, that you will run to the ground of the switch.
lightfxboy

Post Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:07 am

A-Ray: Yes, that's what I've been wanting to do...replace the switch on the Inferno. However, both wires running off the switch are marked positive (Black wire with white stripe). I have the tech sheet showing what wires hook up where. But I was just confused with going from a 2 prong switch to a 3 prong siwtch. I wasn't sure if I could splice what where, ya know what I mean?

And now after all the confusion on the wiring, the new switch is a tad too big for the hole. So, I'm trying to figure out how much I need to shave down in order to get it to fit.
Moss

Post Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:15 am

Does this switch have an LED?
lightfxboy

Post Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:09 am

@Moss: yes
Tdawgthegreatest

Post Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:52 pm

That is what the 3rd prong is for. The LED's power to turn on when the switch turns on.
lightfxboy

Post Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:58 pm

uhm, yes, I understand that. I guess either I don't understand the instructions or you guys aren't understanding what I'm asking.

a) current switch on Inferno is 2 pronged.
b) both wires going into current switch are both labeled positive. (black wire with white stripe)
c) negative wire seems to have inline fuse attached.
d) do both positive wires connect to new switch? if so, the diagram on site is wrong.

i'm confused with what wires I cut and where?
lightfxboy

Post Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:33 pm

To all that responded to this post. I've got the switch wired and installed. I didn't worry about hooking up LED portion of switch and just hooked up the two wires from old switch to new switch. It worked for what I needed it to....just to power on/off my inferno.

I did have to shave quite a bit to get the switch to fit, but looks perfect.
bad venge

Post Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:37 pm

Lighted switches have THREE terminals
Source from 12Volts , supply to the load , and Ground
The ground is what turns the light on
Tdawgthegreatest

Post Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:51 pm

Yeah, he knew that. He was wondering about the Origional Inferno switch, since there were 2+'s.
lightfxboy

Post Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:15 pm

I spliced off the ground wire to hookup the LED on the switch and the LED stayed on when the switch was both on or off. I didn't want to mess with it anymore, so unhooked the ground wire, electrical taped the spliced area and left it alone
bad venge

Post Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:25 pm

you needed to flip the 2 positive posts and it would work you had the source wrong , then reground it
Moss

Post Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:15 pm

This is even confusing me right now.
bad venge

Post Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:09 pm

before he had the 12 volts feeding the wrong post when he grounded it the light was always on by reversing the 2 wires and leaving the ground it would work properly
lightfxboy

Post Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:38 pm

Thanks, that was the issue.
The time now is Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:00 pm
Page 1 of 1