Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

Lights on Motorcycle Helmets

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:45 pm

Hey guys, I've been a customer for a while.
First time I bought LEDs were to light up the seats inside my '86 Monte Carlo, which looks pretty fresh.

So here's the (LONG) story:

A couple months ago, I added the Blue pre-wired LED strips to my Motorcycle Helmet. (it matches with my paint job [09 Suzuki Gladius]) I had 2 1-inch strips in the front/mouth area. a 4-inch up the middle (like those mohawks you guys have seen some bikers wear) and 2 2-inches on each side of the back.
You could say, I was pretty well lit, and one bright blue biker.

I asked a former CHP officer if I could get pulled over or anything, and he said he'd love to see which code that they would get me under, since it is on the helmet.

Now, this being on a helmet, it was not part of the motorcycle. Helmets don't apply to vehicle code, except that it's legally required to wear one while riding. Or so I thought.

Couple weeks ago, I got pulled over by a cop who was bored.
(I've had plenty of cops say they loved my modification, I was instantly visible, and they thought it was a great idea)

Luckily, I got off with a warning, but I threw everything I knew at him, and he seemed like he was popping stuff out of his head, so I'm wondering if you guys can help me out.

One, he said that the blue lights were distracting, and only emergency vehicles can have them. 1) That's kinda the point, but I can understand that I did go overboard with how many lights I put on the helmet
2) and for emergency vehicles having them, I understood, but again, my helmet is not part of the motorcycle

I took the lights off my helmet, but I still have questions.

MAIN PROBLEM

He said, since I am ON the motorcycle, anything ON the motorcycle, is part of the motorcycle.

Under this logic, if a human is on a motorcycle, is s/he now a motorcycle?

I asked him what code this was under, and he didn't know and shot me some random numbers.

Now, I'm pretty fussy for a warning, but seeing how being a "distraction" saves me from getting run over, I say I have a pretty good excuse.

I replaced the blue LEDs with one Red LED strip up the back (2-inch), and 2 single yellow LEDs on the side (represent turning signals), and 2 White LEDs (1-inch).
I am a lot less bright, but I'm pretty sure another bored cop is going to come and harass me again.

I doubt that a cop would have a problem with the new lights (cept maybe the front white ones, but a risk I'm willing to take)

But I do have a motorcycle jacket, which I lined with Blue EL Wire (if you don't know what it is, look it up, it's amazing stuff ::coughstartsellingsomeozniumcough:icon_smile.gif

Now, a cop can pull me over for the blue lights, however...it is a jacket. Not a motorcycle. This jacket, I've gone through DUI checkpoints, and again, have had cops bring their buddies over and said "man, that's really cool", and let me ride off into the dark with no problems. In no way can this jacket be mistaken for a police car of any sort. (I'd put up pictures, but I have to take them first)

So, forum, after my long story, (I apologize, but I think it helps you guys understand what's up)

Anyone have something that can tell them that helmets/jackets are not motorcycles?
Because I've gone through the whole code, and cannot find anything.
If I missed something, please inform me!

Thanks guys, and I know I misuse commas a lot!
Tat2Dragons

Post Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:08 pm

Yeah,I'm pretty sure your helmet and jacket is not a damn motorcycle.lol Cool mod,I'd love to see it. icon_cool.gif
Tdawgthegreatest

Post Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:54 am

Yeah I dont know what to tell you. But the 2nd way you did your helmet is probably the most legal way anyone could do it.

You just gave me an Idea for my helmet for Dunefest...*goes out to garage*
bad venge

Post Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:34 am

It all depends on the Cop,
I can see the blue being "distracting" but LED's looking like a police vehicle not so much ...
They are not strobing/flashing. We had a cop site a local for "Impersonating a police vehicle"
He had LED washer squirters on his hood and wired them into the turn signals.
yes like I'd pull over for two flashing LED's (if he had his hazards on) icon_rolleyes.gif

As for the Jacket , The Blue EL glow is likely just as distracting I'd say either change up the color , or leave it off on the street ...
Blue and Red flashing are likely to attract police like flies ...
kornholio788

Post Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:55 pm

PLEASE post pictures of this. That is an awesome idea. But I don't think I could get passed having that wire coming off it all the time.

Awesome mod though.
Moss

Post Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:20 pm

Pump the brakes here...

It's a distraction. Plain and simple. You said it yourself... It makes you instantly which people are going to look at and be distracted. It goes above and beyond being visible.

Well what if I drove a convertible and had a top hat covered in LEDs that were blue and all kinds of other lights that blinked? I know it's not part of the car but it is a distraction to other drivers.

EL Wire is soo 90s.

Another thing that I love on this board that people bring up routinely... "My buddy who is a COP".... "My Uncle who is a cop" we all know Police officers... They are NOT EVERY LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER IN EVERY DISTRICT, AREA or STATE! Don't think saying... "Well the police officer who hangs out at the local diner told me I could have this modification" and it's going to stick.

Who do you think you are TRON or something?

User posted image
02BlueStang

Post Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:00 am

I could see it as being included in the lighting laws for your state....but it would be up to the state to prove that you are part of the motorcycle as most lighting laws for states refer to the vehicle and direction of colors. I personally don't think the helmet or jacket would be included.

I would think a judge would drop the citation and find the charge unfounded. You could still be cited and be forced to go thru the court process.

I don't think I would cite for it depending on how bright the lights are....if you look like a christmas tree going down the road possibly...if its just extra lighting to make you more visible I wouldn't punish you for trying to be safer on the road.
Moss

Post Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:07 pm

02BlueStang wrote:
I could see it as being included in the lighting laws for your state....but it would be up to the state to prove that you are part of the motorcycle as most lighting laws for states refer to the vehicle and direction of colors. I personally don't think the helmet or jacket would be included.

I would think a judge would drop the citation and find the charge unfounded. You could still be cited and be forced to go thru the court process.

I don't think I would cite for it depending on how bright the lights are....if you look like a christmas tree going down the road possibly...if its just extra lighting to make you more visible I wouldn't punish you for trying to be safer on the road.

Well 02BlueStang said it's cool so get after it....
George_2021

Post Mon May 17, 2010 5:16 pm

hey please tell me a little a bit about how you powered the helmet, what batteries or setup did you use? Pls pls plsssss
Moss

Post Mon May 17, 2010 5:33 pm

Don't they sell these in the OZ store?
The time now is Sun May 27, 2018 12:39 am
Page 1 of 1