Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

Connecting to Two Power Sources

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:54 pm

Hi all,
Bought a couple of Oznium products and love them!! I have a question about these https://www.oznium.com/flexible-led-strips/led-flex-strips

I want to use them in place of the side emitting LED headlight strips. I want to connect them to a switched power source so that they run all the time when the car is on, but turn off when the car is off. However, I was wondering if it was possible to ALSO connect them to the power of either the headlights or turn signals so that when I lock or unlock my car and they headlights turn on, they turn on or off as well. Can this be done? Could they be used as turn signals also?

Basically, I want them to be on all the time, flash when the headlights flash for arming and disarming the car and even possibly when the turn signal is on? Is any of this possible... aka connecting multiple power sources at once?

Thanks!!!
EricCartman

Post Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:15 pm

Yes, it is possible. It's called a "wired or".

First, I would recommend the use of a diode for powering your strips. Wire your "power sources" into the relay control terminal (85) using a diode. You need to have a diode on each control signal to prevent back feeding to other circuits. For example, it could turn your headlights on when you car is running if you didn't.

Here is an example:

User posted image

If you wanted to play it safe, you could fuse each of your control taps as well.

Good luck,
Cartman
mfranzel

Post Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:31 pm

Thanks so much for the reply. First what is a diode and where can I buy one? Is the central piece of this diagram https://www.oznium.com/wire-12v-and-relays/relay40 Also, the only reason I mentioned my headlights in this example is because when I lock or unlock the car, they flash with the blinkers once to lock and stay on for a bit with the blinker lights when I unlock. SO I could tap into either the blinker or the headlight, but I would want to tap into the blinker so they would flash when the blinker is activated.

So I would need to use this method for each side of the car, correct? So the LED lights go into 87 and then the ground. The switched power with a fuse goes into 30. And the blinker and the ignition power go into 85. Where do I get the wire for ignition? Also, will this enable the leds to remain on when the car is running, blink when the turn signal is activated, and stay lit when I lock or unlock the car with the blinkers? Thanks for your help.
EricCartman

Post Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:01 pm

A diode is kind of like a check valve for electricity. It only permits "flow" in one direction (in the direction the arrow points). I usually use 1N004 diodes. You can get them at Radio Shack: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2036268

Yes, that relay you linked to will work.

I didn't read your post all too carefully at first. I missed the part about wanting it to flash with the turn signals too. icon_neutral.gif It complicates things a bit, but it can still be done. It requires another relay, and the blinking of the LED strip would be the opposite of your blinker light (blinker on, LED strip off). If you want to know how to do that, let me know and I'll draw another diagram.

As the diagram is now, the LEDs would come on with the ignition, headlights or blinker.

You description of the connections is correct. However, the only change I would make, is to pull 12V straight off the battery, that way you are not straining an existing circuit in your car.

If you want to control each side separately for the blink feature, you would need additional relays (total 4). If you didn't want to have the blinker feature, you could do it all with 1 relay, but the LEDs would only come on with lights or ignition.

There are a lot of ways to find the ignition switch. The easiest is to find the fuse in your fuse box and use fuse taps.
mfranzel

Post Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:00 pm

What you described is perfect and exactly what I want to do. Would it be possible to draw another diagram that includes everything you described?

Just to verify, the way you described is this... They are on all the time, and blink when the turn signals blink. Correct?

One thing though... why do I need the ignition switch connected? I had a place install running lights for me and all they did was grab power from a switched fuse from the fuse box under the hood.

Maybe I should just stop trying to do something crazy and just install them normally! icon_biggrin.gif
Phil
Owner, Oznium.com

Post Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:39 pm

In getting them to blink with the turn signals, they won't be on when the signals are on, but rather they'd be off. It'd be opposite of what the signals do. Basically, when the signal is on, it would cut power to the strip.

Only way to have them blink in sync with the signals is to use some IC or more complex logic.

My brain hurts.
mfranzel

Post Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:11 pm

Thats totally fine if they turn off when they turn signal turns on... They would alternate, right?
highaltitude
Oznium Employee

Post Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:36 pm

Here is what you can do with one relay to make it work. Wire the relay coil so that one side is connected to the headlight pos wire near the bulb and the other side to the turn signal pos wire near the bulb. This is a floating ground situation. When the headlights are on the coil grounds through the turn signal bulb and the relay energizes. When the turn signal is turned on it interupts the ground and it will cause anything hooked to the relay to flash with the turn signal. When headlights are off the relay coil grounds through the headlight and flashes with the turn signal.

This has been done for years to modify corner lamps to flash with turn signal without a relay. Just use a relay with a coil of the lowest amp draw as possible to avoid affecting the flash rate of the turn signals. The relay oznium sells or similar should work as it is only 100ma across the coil which is not much different than a light bulb. Make sure that your wiring is done properly and well sealed as a short to ground on the wires to the relay coil will take out both the headlights and the turn signals. And no it does not matter which lead on a relay coil is pos or neg works same either way just like a std light bulb does.
EricCartman

Post Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:42 pm

^^^ That will work too. icon_biggrin.gif

Here is what I was thinking about for double relays:

User posted image

Notice the 87 and 30 terminal connections are reversed in the second picture. It's OK because it will still work. icon_smile.gif It just make it a little easier to draw the diagram.

The grounds don't all need to be tied together as shown on that diagram either, it just made it easier to draw.

The gray lines are optional connection/component. You don't really need a diode on the blinker control line, but it isn't going to hurt.

The 87a terminal is the "normally open" circuit. When the blinkers are off, the circuit is open and the output of the top relay gets passed through. When the blinker is on, the bottom relay switches to the 87 connection, which would be floating/grounded and the LEDs would turn off.

Good luck!
Cartman
mfranzel

Post Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:08 pm

Thanks for EVERYONE'S help and replies. I decided it was all just too complicated and to use them like I had initially planned... on when the car turns on, off when the car turns off.

I certainly appreciate everyone's input!
The time now is Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:14 pm
Page 1 of 1