Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

Wanting to build a LED black light for my boat.

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:43 am

Wanting to build a black light for my boat for fishing after dark. The lights that I see just for that purpurse are quit expensive. I think that I can make one for a lot less. Just need some guidance as to what I need to make one. Has to be 12 volt. Would like to see the waters edge or the bank from close to 100' or so. How bright are the LED's?
bad venge

Post Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:21 am

There is NO WAY they will be penetrating 100' of water
kybob

Post Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:40 am

Not wanting to go 100' deep as water depth. Wanting to go distance. Approx. 100' from the boat to the bank.
Phil
Owner, Oznium.com

Post Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:31 am

Not even God could build a blacklight / ultraviolet LED that could shine through 100 feet of water. icon_cool.gif

Good idea, but pretty much impossible with today's technology.

Are you sure you would want blacklight / ultraviolet? That makes sense to use for lighting above the surface / light up up fishing lines. But for under the water you might be better off with a blue or maybe red color.

Welcome & post some pics of your boat.
FooFoo502

Post Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:54 pm

are you talking about the type of UV lights sold by BassPro and Cabella's that some freshwater and bass fisherman use? The concept for these is that night fisherman use UV reactive fishing line, such as P-Line and Berkley VanishUV, that is easily illuminated by a blacklight to show exactly where the line is as it enters the water. The line will lumenesce very brightly in UV light but remains clear in normal light. If that's the the type of light you are looking to build, a couple of the 1watt spots would do the trick and then some. You could even use a flood and a spot together to illuminate not only a wide swath of water around the boat, but you could illuminate a far away shore line at the same time. I use the green version of these for my boat and they are super bright....but not out to 100' though. As Phil stated, it nearly impossible regardless of lumen output and intesnsity, for light to radiate through most fresh/salt water due to sediment, salinity etc. Unless it's a completely clear source like a pool or a natural spring. But if you're talking below the waterline, there is nothing that I've found that will penetrate more than 60'...and those cost $499 each from OceanLED and are designed as thru-hull brass fittings for boats 55' and over....trust me on this. I've been in the boating/fishing industy a long time and have researched almost every product out there...even got my hands on some demo stuff from the sales reps...and for the money, you get waaaay less penetrative clarity than you might think for the amount of money being asked.
Phil
Owner, Oznium.com

Post Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:36 pm

BTW, all this talk of underwater lights is making me want to go on a night scuba dive and hunt some octopus. biglaugh.gif
kybob

Post Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:37 pm

FooFoo502 knows what I am looking for. I am not wanting to look or use for under water. I am wanting to make one something like what BPS or cabellas sells. The concept for these is that night fisherman use UV reactive fishing line, such as P-Line and Berkley VanishUV, that is easily illuminated by a blacklight to show exactly where the line is as it enters the water. The line will lumenesce very brightly in UV light but remains clear in normal light.
So FooFoo, could you help me build this, set me up a parts list, wiring diagram, etc. Kinda interested in the LED strips. Maybe 3 or 4 rows of 8 or 10 LEDS. I like your idea of 1 spot & 1 flood or whatever it takes. I have a 21' boat. So I would like to have one big enough to light up one side for both the angler in the front & back.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
FooFoo502

Post Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:03 am

let me see what I can do for you bro. I'll see if I can put together a couple suggested set-ups taking into account cost-vs-output. You gotta gimme a couple days though..things are kinda hectic time-wise around the house these days..but I'll be glad to help out.
kybob

Post Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:24 am

Thanks FooFoo. No problem. Take your time. I still like your suggestion of using spots & floods in combination. TBH, I really didn't know you could get LED's in either spots or floods. Thanks again.
bad venge

Post Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:56 am

Unfortunately OZ doesn't have the 1 watt spots or floods in UV ...
The time now is Thu May 24, 2018 5:03 am
Page 1 of 1