Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

Need ideas for upcoming wedding/project

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:28 am

Ok. So my wedding is coming up in July. I have a friend who is also getting married in October and when I told her what crafty thing I had planned to do, she decided to do one herself and make it a group project.

Here is the outcome of my picture frame card box..
User posted image
User posted image
User posted image

Having decked out my car with LEDs (interior, turn signals, back up and cathode in my trunk), I'm semi hooked on LEDs and wanted to think of a way to spice/spruce this project up. Any ideas? I thought about buying some Prewired Surface Mount LEDs.

Since I'm in my art mode, I made a mockup of something I made in photoshop that we're placing in our wedding and I wouldnt mind adding LEDs to this as well

User posted image
Those curious, for the white boxes underneath us would be our reception date and in the red boxes, the top would be my initial and the bottom red box would be my fiancee's initial

I might add some wooden pillars behind us with my last name in the back and putting the prewired surface mount leds underneath...kind of like spot lights.

Any ideas to either one would be greatful as soon as possible as I would like to take advantage of Oznium's 10% coupon that expires tomorrow.

Last edited by dcemureviews on Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total
Moss

Post Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:46 pm

Your card box looks like a fake vagina.

What if you put frosted glass for a top with a slot cut and the lit the top of the box with red leds from the top sides?

Get rid of the love hole look.
dcemureviews

Post Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:59 pm

Moss wrote:

Uhhh thanks

Quote:
What if you put frosted glass for a top with a slot cut and the lit the top of the box with red leds from the top sides?

I dont have the tools to cut the glass and if I was to do that, its about 1-1.5" inch deep from the top to the bracket. Not to mention, depending on our situation when the time comes when we get a house, frames would be dismantled and hung on the wall or just placed on a table.

Quote:
Get rid of the love hole look.

If you're talking about the one with the figures, the silver heart is a wood block painted silver. As stated, its a photoshop mockup.

Here is the actual red boxes and heart

User posted image
robbie

Post Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:05 pm

Pretty sure by love hole he meant vagina again.

Personally i think it's super neat. Most people just buy into stuff, can tell this means alot to you judging by the amount of work you are putting into all this stuff.

Honestly if you could figure out a way to power the LED's with a small foot print, i would just find a cheap easy way to mount them under the fabric part. Personally.....i would use white, red would give it too much of a Valentines feel, where as white IMO would give it that hole fresh, wedding feel.

Either way good stuff man.
dcemureviews

Post Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:21 pm

robbie wrote:
Pretty sure by love hole he meant vagina again.

Personally i think it's super neat. Most people just buy into stuff, can tell this means alot to you judging by the amount of work you are putting into all this stuff.

Honestly if you could figure out a way to power the LED's with a small foot print, i would just find a cheap easy way to mount them under the fabric part. Personally.....i would use white, red would give it too much of a Valentines feel, where as white IMO would give it that hole fresh, wedding feel.

Either way good stuff man.

Thanks.

Gotcha about the "vagina" hole. The foam padding wasnt even cut straight *smacks forehead*. My friend cut it all lopsided so the foam padding hole is bigger than its suppose to be. The wrapping of fabric doesnt help either. We should of stuffed it more with foam but oh well. Whats done is done. Its been glued and sealed with hot glue gun.

I was going to buy things instead but I've spent wayyyy too much on the wedding itself (almost a down payment on house). Doesnt help when you have 380 people. The frames, foam board, hinges, lazy susan, fabric, red border inside frames and brackets cost almost $60 in parts and thats after coupons. Yea, you can buy and be done with it, but something about doing it yourself makes it even more unique and something to be proud of

I thought of having LEDs from the inside shining into the photos or a light illuminating the inside so that the pictures (once we choose them and print them) is illuminated but that means I would have to remove the board backing which would cause the pictures and glass to be wobbly and unstable.
robbie

Post Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:32 pm

Eh i think shining light from the inside of the photos might wash them out a bit from what they actually look like after you print them and put them in.

I think just a nice white light shining in the box, and maybe have the box itself set in a place where the light is a bit dim, or lower then what you'll need everywhere else, that way the white light could be seen so people could know exactly where, and it would let your work not be in vain.
dcemureviews

Post Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:39 pm

robbie wrote:
Eh i think shining light from the inside of the photos might wash them out a bit from what they actually look like after you print them and put them in.

I think just a nice white light shining in the box, and maybe have the box itself set in a place where the light is a bit dim, or lower then what you'll need everywhere else, that way the white light could be seen so people could know exactly where, and it would let your work not be in vain.

So just put a light inside the box and let it shine out? Not a bad idea but the box isnt perfect so there are little gaps between the frames and some dont. Also, the box will be placed in the front entrance when people come in to sign and get their table numbers. Once everything is moved inside, the frame box would probably be put away since everyone is all settled in and dropped off whatever they needed to.

As for the figures, it will be displayed all night. It will be at the entrance and than moved inside and placed next to our wedding cake.

Entrance will be well lit where as the reception area will have the lights dimmed probably.
robbie

Post Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:50 pm

Use a small amount of like molding tape used in the automotive world.

Its easy to work with, would sell up the frames from inside, and since most time's it is double sided you could DEF leave one side of it covered so it doesn't stick to anything, and usually the cover to the adhesive is red. icon_wink.gif

After you did that, being that it's like MAYBE 4 bucks at autozone or walmart, put your lights in the box, that way those small gaps are covered, and it will be pitch dark in the box for the most part so the light could be seen shining in it. icon_biggrin.gif
corvettecrazy

Post Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:36 pm

My first thought when the first picture loaded was fake vagina also.
lawson4450

Post Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:27 pm

go to home cheapo and get a small piece of plexiglass and then take a sander and sand the inside of it or even buy the spray frosting from an arts and craft store and do the same thing. then take some LEDs in white and red together maybe and put them in all four corners maybe get yourself a battery pack from radio shack to power them. then you can have it lit from the inside and it will glow. just my 2 cents.
TRogers

Post Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:34 pm

lawson4450 wrote:
maybe get yourself a battery pack from radio shack to power them. then you can have it lit from the inside and it will glow. just my 2 cents.

Oznium sells these awesome little battery holders and batteries that would be perfect.

The 23A
https://www.oznium.com/install-bay/12v-led-battery-holder
https://www.oznium.com/install-bay/super-alkaline-battery

I use mine for testing all my led's. I have the double A holder as well, it's also nice but has a larger footprint.
dcemureviews

Post Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:06 am

robbie wrote:
Use a small amount of like molding tape used in the automotive world.

Its easy to work with, would sell up the frames from inside, and since most time's it is double sided you could DEF leave one side of it covered so it doesn't stick to anything, and usually the cover to the adhesive is red. icon_wink.gif

After you did that, being that it's like MAYBE 4 bucks at autozone or walmart, put your lights in the box, that way those small gaps are covered, and it will be pitch dark in the box for the most part so the light could be seen shining in it. icon_biggrin.gif

True about the molding tape. I hate to make it permanent or nasty looking when we dismantle it once we move in to a new house depending on our layout and room
corvettecrazy wrote:
My first thought when the first picture loaded was fake vagina also.

Damn, its that bad huh?
lawson4450 wrote:
go to home cheapo and get a small piece of plexiglass and then take a sander and sand the inside of it or even buy the spray frosting from an arts and craft store and do the same thing. then take some LEDs in white and red together maybe and put them in all four corners maybe get yourself a battery pack from radio shack to power them. then you can have it lit from the inside and it will glow. just my 2 cents.

I'll take a look at HD and see how much plexiglass is and if they can cut out the center. I might just do the spray frost or just take sand paper. Dont think I have a sander.
TRogers wrote:
lawson4450 wrote:
maybe get yourself a battery pack from radio shack to power them. then you can have it lit from the inside and it will glow. just my 2 cents.

Oznium sells these awesome little battery holders and batteries that would be perfect.

The 23A
https://www.oznium.com/install-bay/12v-led-battery-holder
https://www.oznium.com/install-bay/super-alkaline-battery

I use mine for testing all my led's. I have the double A holder as well, it's also nice but has a larger footprint.

Yep, I bought a 23A holder and battery already. I use it to test my cathode trunk light kits but its not as powerful.

I also have a AA battery holder as well but havent used it yet.

Now, people mentioned LEDs but didnt state, which ones. Remember, I dont want to break the bank and it doesnt have to be bright
Ryan88

Post Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:49 am

Moss wrote:

LOL litterly laughed out loud.

Maybe put the box on an inch platform and put LEDs under the car box for an underglow affect!!
dcemureviews

Post Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:23 am

Ryan88 wrote:
Moss wrote:

LOL litterly laughed out loud.

Maybe put the box on an inch platform and put LEDs under the car box for an underglow affect!!

Thought about that too but it already has a lazy susan attached.

I might do that underglow effect for the base of the Kidrobot munnies
TechnoBill

Post Mon May 03, 2010 5:29 pm

Moss wrote:

So you're saying the mock up should resemble a real vagina, with dewy rose petals, little man in the boat, and all? icon_lol.gif

I think you're right. Lose the fake appearance, and go for anatomically correct nuances with red LEDs within. Sort of a "I've only just begun to stuff that box!" motif. Very sentimental and bound to be a hit with the ladies, or a least the guys will stuff more cash envelopes just to be able to make some witty remarks.

Ah.... young love, sweet and innocent. biglaugh.gif
02BlueStang

Post Tue May 04, 2010 10:53 am

cool box....my first thought was that it also closely resembled a vagina icon_redface.gif

I think you should either tighten the fabric or go with the frosted look...very cool ideas and make sure you post up the end result icon_cool.gif
dcemureviews

Post Mon May 10, 2010 12:01 pm

The fabric is already pulled and stretched. A friend cut the foam lopsided hence the odd shape.

I like the plexiglass idea. I'll have to hit up a shop and see if I can get it cut to size and have the middle cut out.

I already purchased white leds but didnt purchase any red =(. I dont want to pay shipping just to buy 1 led. So I may have to see if I have red cellophane around the house and cover the led.

I hope the 23A battery and battery holder is enough to power the Prewired Surface Mount LEDs.
Kindschi

Post Mon May 10, 2010 2:31 pm

dcemureviews wrote:
Ok. So my wedding is coming up in July

Dont do it.
dcemureviews

Post Fri May 14, 2010 4:05 pm

Shopping around and getting price quotes from shops and its going to cost $25-50 for a 9.5"x9.5" plexi that is 1/4" or 1/2" thick.

Too damn pricey for something that is seen by people for a day.
Kindschi

Post Fri May 14, 2010 6:16 pm

dcemureviews wrote:
Shopping around and getting price quotes from shops and its going to cost $25-50 for a 9.5"x9.5" plexi that is 1/4" or 1/2" thick.

Guess you have not shopped for the dress yet.....
dcemureviews

Post Sat May 15, 2010 8:38 am

What is your problem? If you have nothing helpful to say in regards to the project, dont say anything.
corvettecrazy

Post Sat May 15, 2010 8:46 am

tapplastics.com

and there is no reason it couldn't be 1/16" thick. I think you are making this way more complicated than any square box should ever be.
Tat2Dragons

Post Sat May 15, 2010 9:41 am

dcemureviews wrote:

Have you checked Lowes,or The Home Depot? I've bought plexi from them in the past and I don't recall it being very expensive.
corvettecrazy

Post Sat May 15, 2010 9:50 am

Tat2Dragons wrote:
dcemureviews wrote:

Have you checked Lowes,or The Home Depot? I've bought plexi from them in the past and I don't recall it being very expensive.

a 18" by 24" piece of 1/16" is 6.xx from lowes so probably not.
dcemureviews

Post Sat May 15, 2010 12:45 pm

corvettecrazy wrote:
tapplastics.com

and there is no reason it couldn't be 1/16" thick. I think you are making this way more complicated than any square box should ever be.

Maybe I am making more complicated than it should but the only reason why I suggested that thickness is because thats how deep the brackets go in and thats how thick the white borders are. If I'm going plexi route, I would like it to be flush with the top. If not, the plexi would be lower.

corvettecrazy wrote:
Tat2Dragons wrote:
dcemureviews wrote:

a 18" by 24" piece of 1/16" is 6.xx from lowes so probably not.

Yes, I have checked lowes and home depot. HD said they wont cut because it will shatter. Didnt bother asking lowes because there was no one in the area and I had other errands to run.

Even if I was to buy a 1/16 thick plexi and cut it to the size I want, I still need to cut out the center. The thickest HD has was .223
Kindschi

Post Sat May 15, 2010 1:41 pm

dcemureviews wrote:
What is your problem? If you have nothing helpful to say in regards to the project, dont say anything.

I have no problem. Both my comments were meant to humor you not **** you off, sorry about that. Thats the problem with text.. cant tell if someone is being serious or not.

Good luck with the project. (Serious comment).
Moss

Post Sun May 16, 2010 1:36 am

Forget getting married. Just lube up the fake vag and save yourself years worth of regret.
dcemureviews

Post Tue May 25, 2010 8:17 pm

So I gave up on the plexi option for the frame box. Maybe down the road.

But as shown about my second project, I opted to go a different route with the base..

Plain shadow box
User posted image

Frosted the glass
User posted image

LEDs installed
User posted image

LEDs ON
User posted image

Black back
User posted image
User posted image

As you can see, the vinyl text is barely noticeable with black backing. So I added white paper to the black backing...
User posted image
User posted image
User posted image

The wood blocks have our wedding date and the munnys will go on top
User posted image
User posted image

I used electrical tape to hold everything in place even though the LEDs have double sided tape since this is not a permanent thing. Once its done, I'll be using the LEDs for something else.
The time now is Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:20 pm
Page 1 of 1