Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

98 tahoe projector HID headlights project

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:34 am

You should have known that the first modification to the Tahoe would be headlights. THe OEM headlights suck and aftermarket reflector headlights are only a marginal improvement. After the success of aftermarket projector housings on my dad's 07 silverado, i decided to try the same thing with the Tahoe. I ordered the DEPO style projector lights from ebay.

HID kit came in for the tahoe lights. Installing the larger H1 HID bulbs required some grinding on the projector mount. The bulb sits snug in the mount and the pattern is just freaking cool for a cheap aftermarket projector:

HID kit: 5000K 55w H1.
Camara: Canon SD990 Auto mode
Distance ~20'

User posted image

The Hot spot is a little wide, but given the height of the tahoe, it may prove to be more useful. If it turns out bad, i can always space the bulb a little to get a sharper focus.

User posted image

More pics when the Grille-guard foglights come. Those are standard 4x6 halogens (nothing special...more for looks than anything else, but the deep amber lens makes them very functional in the rain)
DJTricky

Post Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:00 pm

ok now i cant wait to see this cus those are the same style of headlights as mine icon_razz.gif
ryan71489

Post Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:52 pm

i agree what a cool cutoff!
Radioflyer

Post Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:32 am

Got the headlights installed. Unfortionatly the Aftermarket mounts that came with the lights were a piece of crap. The Ball/socket style aiming mounts and the plastic framework were just poor quality. I decided to drive one night them to test what else needed to be worked with. I'm also giving serious thought to painting the high beam reflactor with high-gloss black to match everything else.

User posted image

The good new is that i saved the OEM stuff, and was able to modify the OEM frames to work with the new light housings. Now they're much better aligned and significantly stronger.

Compare the un-trimmed OEM headlight frame (top) to the aftermarket frame. You can see the structural reinforcements on the OEM are much larger and the plastic is far more rigid.
User posted image

Output pics tonight after they're aimed.
ryan71489

Post Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:37 pm

any pics yet?
The time now is Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:10 pm
Page 1 of 1