Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

installing led strip on the headlight pleasee help

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:50 pm

How do you install a flexible led strip to outline a car's headlights? I do not want to drill any holes in my cars bumper or open the headlights, i just simply want to glue it in. Where does the possitive and neggative end of the led strip connect to light up the led strip, and could you please mention the sourse that it needs to connect. If any switches/adapters/wire harnesses are require could you please mention them.
Phil
Owner, Oznium.com

Post Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:28 am

does this make any sense?

User posted image
santosxchrisz

Post Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:08 pm

yes, i saw something on youtube that was simillar to this graph. If there are hid headlights on the car does affect the wire that has to splice? Thanks alot. By the way, how much money would you pay to have this install the led lights by someone else? Whats overprised and whats a good deal?
Phil
Owner, Oznium.com

Post Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:02 am

$40's a good deal, just make sure they know what they are doing
Aponizuma

Post Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:45 am

Phil wrote:
does this make any sense?

User posted image

hello! i have the same setup but tapped with my corner lights (LEDs) not to my headlights - left side busted my corner light, right side busted some of the LEDs in the middle of the strip (3 to be exact). The strip has 48 LEDs, we had to cut 3 from them to fit so they have 45 each now. i don't know why these happened. Need advise on how to better wire my strips without busting anything. thanks.
bad venge

Post Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:19 am

Might help if you describe WHAT or how they busted ... My psychic powers don't work over the Net so hard to say what you did wrong or right ....

Back to the OP ,
Most people find it easiest to tap into the running lights rather then the headlights this allows you to have the LED's on without the headlights .
Since you don't say car you'll have to figure out the wiring. I'd also recomend installing a fuse inline with them to prevent wiring harness damage incase a short or pinched wire.
Installs are all over the board depending on complexity how hard it is to get the headlights outect ect I had one car I had to remove the entire front bumper and both fenders to remove the headlights then had to bake the headlights apart to install the strips then reseal the headlights and reinstall ... If you think I'd do that for $40 your sadly mistaken
Aponizuma

Post Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:00 pm

sorry for being vague but i don't have any more elaboration on 'busted' - they just will not light anymore. the headlight housing were opened and strips put inside them, sealed, tap the strips to the corner/parking lights beside them - i have a Honda Accord 96 with H22 SOHC VTEC engine. i had a suggestion to wire them up together through the firewall and tap pos with the ashtray bulb in the center console before the switch (neg grounded in bay, inline fuse - ?A). is that plausible?
Aponizuma

Post Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:06 pm

LEFT SIDE - LED strip is good; CORNER LIGHT to where the strip was tapped is busted.

User posted image

RIGHT SIDE - CORNER LIGHT is good; LED strip has 3-4 bulbs busted.

User posted image

CLOSE-UP of RIGHT SIDE STRIP -

User posted image
bad venge

Post Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:24 pm

looks like a bad strip section on the right and check the corner bulb on the left
Aponizuma

Post Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:56 pm

problem is - the same situation with the left and right sides already happened twice - so now my headlights are going to be opened for the third time. do you think i should consider diodes, relays, resistors, fuses, etc. into the wiring? i thought it would be as simple as the above diagram but it just isn't with mine icon_sad.gif
Tdawgthegreatest

Post Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:10 pm

You have to take into account the heat from your headlights hitting those strips too.
LED's from what I understand, are very ...touchy in really cold, or really hot situations.
Aponizuma

Post Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:33 pm

but i only have 35w 6000k HIDs for dipped beams and if you noticed - H1 LEDs for high.
Cooper

Post Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:46 pm

santosxchrisz wrote:
If there are hid headlights on the car does affect the wire that has to splice?

YES . You want to splice into the vehicles original wires before the ballast . You DO NOT want to splice into the wires between the ballast and the HID bulbs .
Or maybe you could splice into a side marker like or a front running light that comes on with the headlights to avoid the wires with the HID equipment on them entirely .
Tdawgthegreatest

Post Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:14 pm

Yeah....id splice into a running light wire or side marker.
scionlarry

Post Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:30 pm

I hooked into a seperate source for power and all my LED Strips have gone bad. Just a poor quality product!
BUYER BEWARE!!!!!!
wolf36

Post Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:45 pm

Heat is not your problem, I have had Leds in my xbox 360 for 2 years. And if anybody knows about the red ring of death they know how hot a xbox360 can get, hot cpu chip with a big heatsink. Not sure about cold since I live in Socal.

Wire your own strip, I solder the leads together in series, or even better in parrallel, with a resistor on each led. Makes for maximum brightness and led life span.

My cathodes worked longer than my led strips.
The time now is Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:24 am
Page 1 of 1