Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

Broken Record : HID Headlamps

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:43 pm

So for as long as I've been on this forum, we always have been getting people on here asking about HID Legality and How-To's and such.

And we always have the same members arguing with each other about HID use and junk.
HID headlamps are a nice addition to a car. But there lies the problem. "Addition".
If your car did not come with OEM Factory HID headlamps from the Manufacturer they are illegal to have. No if's, ands, or buts.

Now having said that, there are lots of companies that make aftermarket HID Headlamp housings, so that you can USE HID's and not blind the hell out of everyone and their mom.
These, even when done correctly, are still considered Illegal. Since they did not come OEM from the factory. But will greatly reduce the risk of you getting a ticket.

As far as bulb colors, anything above 8000k is asking for a ticket. And why would you want to go blue anyways? It reduces light output, and visibility. The lower the 'K' the clearer, and crisper light you will get.

ANOTHER topic that has been beat to death is HIDs in reflector housings. Yes its possible to run HID's in a non-projector housing. But why on Gods Green Earth would you want to do that?
You can argue till your blue in the face, that your headlights don't blind people. Either you have them pointed straight at the ground, reducing your visibility anyways. Or you are in fact blinding everybody within a 1 mile distance in front, and to the sides of you. And your light pattern is **** at best anyways.
So you are in fact, putting yourself in harms way, and others that share the road with you, in harms way.

So I guess what I'm saying is. If you have to ADD HID's to your ride, you are breaking the law. It isn't enforced as much as drunk driving, but you should treat it as such. If you want to add HID's to your vehicle, please for the love of god, spend some extra dough and buy Projector housings. Even if they are **** Ebay ones, its better than reflectors.
And if your too much of a cheap ass to not buy projectors, or do a retrofit. Don't buy HID's to begin with.

Don't be the douchebag with obnoxiously bright headlights
Tim

Post Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:10 pm

yep
daven75

Post Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:51 pm

meh.
PwrRngr

Post Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:06 pm

daven75 wrote:
meh.

yup, the truth hurts.
daven75

Post Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:00 pm

PwrRngr wrote:
daven75 wrote:
meh.

yup, the truth hurts.

o no, i know its all true, but heres the thing, my HIDs, DO NOT blind people, yes they do have glare, but VERY MINIMAL glar, compared to almost a lot, there is none, and lately I've found myself getting blinded by **** Acura's HIDs more than losers that dont do it right to be honest, just because they come stock doesn't mean they wont blind you.
markwerline

Post Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:01 pm

concurs with OP, and with that said...

any suggestions for projector headlights for 1995 mustang. Not 100% on this, but I'm considering HIDs.
BLAZER_97

Post Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:41 pm

give it up daven..
daven75

Post Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:58 pm

BLAZER_97 wrote:
give it up daven..

dude, why give it up? ive done NOTHING wrong, i have made sure my HIDs are NOT blinding while still getting good light output, and im sorry if i just stated my observations about acura's? wow, thought forums were 95% free places but apparently you cant even have an opinion here let alone in the real world, nice.
PwrRngr

Post Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:40 am

daven75 wrote:
o no, i know its all true, but heres the thing, my HIDs, DO NOT blind people, yes they do have glare, but VERY MINIMAL glar, compared to almost a lot, there is none, and lately I've found myself getting blinded by **** Acura's HIDs more than losers that dont do it right to be honest, just because they come stock doesn't mean they wont blind you.

daven75 wrote:
BLAZER_97 wrote:
give it up daven..

dude, why give it up? ive done NOTHING wrong, i have made sure my HIDs are NOT blinding while still getting good light output, and im sorry if i just stated my observations about acura's? wow, thought forums were 95% free places but apparently you cant even have an opinion here let alone in the real world, nice.

Seriously, you can't even put together a 1/2 way decent argument. Two posts ago you said your headlights give off glare. Now you're saying you've done NOTHING wrong.

If you had done NOTHING wrong, you would have retrofitted good projectors into your housings. Instead, you half assed it into your halogen reflector lights and got LUCKY that it's not terrible. It's still wrong and half assed.
Toastr

Post Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:36 am

I **** hate people that swap HIDs into stock housings, particularly after my wife got rearended by a driver who claimed to be blinded by them. Don't blame him.. I was in the next lane and three cars back and you could see the light 'halo' around the vehicles ahead of me. Freaking Integra and two Civics, HIDs in stock housings.

Got tons of 'em running around town - trucks, SUVs, imports, damn near everything. Especially this one Durango lifted on what appears to be 20's and 36" tires. That one in particular REALLY sucks, lol.

Worthless cheap-ass kids looking to shortcut their way into looking 'cool'.
PwrRngr

Post Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:16 am

Toastr wrote:
I **** hate people that swap HIDs into stock housings, particularly after my wife got rearended by a driver who claimed to be blinded by them. Don't blame him.. I was in the next lane and three cars back and you could see the light 'halo' around the vehicles ahead of me. Freaking Integra and two Civics, HIDs in stock housings.

Got tons of 'em running around town - trucks, SUVs, imports, damn near everything. Especially this one Durango lifted on what appears to be 20's and 36" tires. That one in particular REALLY sucks, lol.

Daven will tell you how he has done NOTHING wrong. If he has done nothing wrong then he has done everything 100% correct. It's obvious that he's done everything correct b/c that's how they come from the factory... icon_rolleyes.gif
daven75

Post Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:57 am

Toastr wrote:

umm one problem, integra's have projectors?

and there is a ton of trucks here, there is one that is that **** navigator truck, basicly an f150, that has HID fogs and headlights, they are blinding, but heres the thing, mine are not. my **** fog lights have more glare than my HIDs, and i will GLADY show you if you would like to come meet me here, im not joking, i WILL meet you.
PwrRngr

Post Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:24 am

daven75 wrote:

and there is a ton of trucks here, there is one that is that **** navigator truck, basicly an f150, that has HID fogs and headlights, they are blinding, but heres the thing, mine are not. my **** fog lights have more glare than my HIDs, and i will GLADY show you if you would like to come meet me here, im not joking, i WILL meet you.

Put camera on tripod and take a picture of each.
Tim

Post Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:25 am

I'm glad I'm not the only person anymore who is against idiots that do this

Back in the day I would of gotten flamed for creating a topic like this.
daven75

Post Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:48 am

PwrRngr wrote:
daven75 wrote:

Put camera on tripod and take a picture of each.

this one is in between the line of sight of a suv and a car.
User posted image
User posted image

shows it not a random pattern, there is no like dark spots-
User posted image
Tim

Post Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:27 am

Got any shots up against a wall or garage door?
daven75

Post Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:04 pm

Tim wrote:
Got any shots up against a wall or garage door?

i'll try tonight, or see if i can dig one up
Tim

Post Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:11 pm

Here's instructions. I look forward to your pictures.
http://www.fz6-forum.com/forum/how-tos/17300-how-aim-hid-headlights.html
If they look like anything but this, you've failed.

User posted image
daven75

Post Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:35 pm

wow i KNOW what they should look like, i KNOW that mine do have glare, i HAVE admited that, BUT my glare is NOTHING compaired to almost every other car with "bad" HID'ing < im making words up now, lol.

not ONCE have i gotten pulled over, flashed, EVEN said anything to about my HIDs, they are NOT a bother to other drivers and i DO drive at night ALOT.

and BTW, those are like PERFECT cut off's not even stock cars come THAT nice, to get them like that you have to mess with them a bit.

even with a projector you can get glare-
http://www.gtoforum.com/204156-post29.html

i agree, i hate people that blind others, there are SEVERAL kids around here, some even older guys that have them, there is a guy that has i believe a 05 mustang that is NICE and he has **** almost PINK HIDs in a reflector housing, i dont get AS blinded as some from him, but then again, his output SUCKS, lol.
Tdawgthegreatest

Post Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:23 pm

I think everyone is just saying HID's in reflectors, no matter the aiming. Is frowned upon.
The_Mastor

Post Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:10 pm

I love how people justify it by "I haven't been flashed so duh I don't give off glare"

Just because someone doesn't flash you doesn't mean you didn't blind them. Because, hello, if I flash you and you crash, IT IS MY FAULT! I'm not going to give you that advantage so you can take the money and buy brighter HIDs. Not the only reason, but usually I just have to roll my eyes and laugh when a sideways cap, pimped back seat, and gripping the top of the steering wheel honda driver drives by with the HIDs lighting up the 4 lanes around him. icon_rolleyes.gif

This will never end so you just have to be thankful of your own brain cell count sometimes. biglaugh.gif
bad venge

Post Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:39 pm

1st gen integras had regular lights
daven75

Post Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:32 pm

yea, i just remembered that. most common are the later ones tho.
Toastr

Post Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:35 pm

daven75 wrote:

Woah there lil' G e-thug, wasn't talking to you directly so go ahead and slap those eager to talk fingers of yours back up your ass.

And if you'd like to meet somewhere to show me your gangster lil' retromod, I'm down. My e-brake might like a reprieve - been a while since I've had a little plastic chock to keep my rig from rolling around.
Tdawgthegreatest

Post Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:31 pm

I also don't flash people that have HID's cause most the people around here have brighter offroad lights they'll flash back at you.

Not worth my time.
daven75

Post Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:52 pm

Toastr wrote:
daven75 wrote:

Woah there lil' G e-thug, wasn't talking to you directly so go ahead and slap those eager to talk fingers of yours back up your ass.

And if you'd like to meet somewhere to show me your gangster lil' retromod, I'm down. My e-brake might like a reprieve - been a while since I've had a little plastic chock to keep my rig from rolling around.

um not once there was a i an "ethug" ****, HAH, i was just saying, i'll GLADLY meet someone if they want proof, and calm down man. at this point ur the "ethug" "been a while since I've had a little plastic chock to keep my rig from rolling around."

HAHA ok. and like i said, drive down here, i'll gladly meet up, but i might not even have the car that much longer. so yea. calm yourself down. damn.

BTW, i wasnt able to get a pic tonight, used up all my battery on my camera at an auto show yesterday. forgot to charge it, u know.
clutch1

Post Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:50 am

Still don't care icon_smile.gif
Bobby Lee

Post Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:03 am

Wow... this topic will never get old, will it? My opinion on this...

There are far more unsafe drivers/vehicles/conditions on the roads than HIDs. Yes it is illegal, and a topic worthy of discussion. However, it's nothing to break a sweat over.
Ryu

Post Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:44 pm

clutch1 wrote:
Still don't care icon_smile.gif

x2
BLAZER_97

Post Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:51 pm

Thats why i said give it up, they are still going to flame you no matter what you do. icon_wink.gif
Ryu

Post Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:05 pm

Why do people care about this? Its not like anybody is going to fix them anyway. You can say "YOU BLIND ME" blah blah blah. It's not going to do anything.
daven75

Post Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:25 pm

Bobby Lee wrote:

There are far more unsafe drivers/vehicles/conditions on the roads than HIDs. Yes it is illegal, and a topic worthy of discussion. However, it's nothing to break a sweat over.

i agree with this, why worry about this, if u wanna make a big deal about this, why not make a big deal about lifted trucks that are so high they could Easily run you over or people that drive with 2 doughnuts and a really low tire? their much more of a hazard then "blinding" hid's IMO.
Toastr

Post Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:23 pm

While I agree that this is a ridiculous topic and purely felt like being a **** earlier, explain to me how a lifted truck is more of a hazard than lights that have the potential to blind oncoming drivers, whose night-vision will take a moment or two to recover thus quite literally leaving them driving blind. The possibility of them drifting into on-coming traffic, missing a turn, or hitting a pedestrian (jay-walking or otherwise) is very much real. Alternatively, slowing down or slamming on the brakes won't do **** because they still can't see what is in front of them for a few seconds. Bad example. Just sayin'. You have a better chance of being rear-ended or t-boned than accidentally run-over. I'd say if you get run-over, it may have been on purpose. I may be guilty of that myself... meh.

And you'll notice pretty much every truck that's hugely lifted is still within the confines of the local laws - that's why the street-driven ones have relocated headlights, tail-lights, bumpers, etc... Because the law dictates it. Haven't seen a law saying how high a vehicle can be lifted, just how high certain features and items on said vehicle can be from the ground.
Tdawgthegreatest

Post Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:04 pm

daven75 wrote:
Bobby Lee wrote:

i agree with this, why worry about this, if u wanna make a big deal about this, why not make a big deal about lifted trucks that are so high they could Easily run you over or people that drive with 2 doughnuts and a really low tire? their much more of a hazard then "blinding" hid's IMO.

I mainly made this topic due to the fact that we get about 2 new people a week asking about HID installation. While most of the regular people post on there how to do it right. YOU Chime in and say "My HIDs are in reflector housings blah blah blah" backpeddling everything that we've been telling the person to do.
Moss

Post Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:49 pm

PS3 Vs. 360.

Go.
Chris

Post Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:58 pm

^ biglaugh.gif

This topic is old. Who the eff cares.

Welcome to Oznium. There are a bunch of us who are hardcore against putting HIDs in non-projector housing. I am one of them. There are others who say eBay housings still suck, which they do but they are better. Then there's the correct, expensive way which people don't do too often.

HID's in a non projector housings are just as good, if not worse, than the Sylvania bulbs. Spend the money and get those, they are correct for your car/truck.

Just end this stupid ass debate, its pointless. People are going to do what they want. Unless you're going to go over there, take them out of his ride, he's going to keep them in. No matter how much we hate them, people will be doing them until they go out of style, kind of like those stupid APC wings and crap.
Ryu

Post Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:22 pm

Moss wrote:
PS3 Vs. 360.

Go.

Nintendo kills all!
daven75

Post Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:59 pm

Toastr wrote:
While I agree that this is a ridiculous topic and purely felt like being a **** earlier, explain to me how a lifted truck is more of a hazard than lights that have the potential to blind oncoming drivers, whose night-vision will take a moment or two to recover thus quite literally leaving them driving blind. The possibility of them drifting into on-coming traffic, missing a turn, or hitting a pedestrian (jay-walking or otherwise) is very much real. Alternatively, slowing down or slamming on the brakes won't do **** because they still can't see what is in front of them for a few seconds. Bad example. Just sayin'. You have a better chance of being rear-ended or t-boned than accidentally run-over. I'd say if you get run-over, it may have been on purpose. I may be guilty of that myself... meh.

And you'll notice pretty much every truck that's hugely lifted is still within the confines of the local laws - that's why the street-driven ones have relocated headlights, tail-lights, bumpers, etc... Because the law dictates it. Haven't seen a law saying how high a vehicle can be lifted, just how high certain features and items on said vehicle can be from the ground.

not once have i seen a highly lifted truck with relocated headlights. tails, bumpers, NOTHING, all were just lifted, some dont even have mud flaps which ARE usualy required, correct?

and im just saying by the whole "run over" is that, lets say ur in a civic (common car) and you come up to a light that you have to break hard on, the chevy 2500HD behind you thats lifted CRAZY cant stop as quick, and there for you EAT there front diff.
Tim

Post Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:38 pm

^ I may be drunk, but that last paragraph doesn't make sense.
Toastr

Post Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:41 pm

daven75 wrote:
not once have i seen a highly lifted truck with relocated headlights. tails, bumpers, NOTHING, all were just lifted, some dont even have mud flaps which ARE usualy required, correct?

Then the vehicles you've seen either aren't high enough to require relocation or it's not required.
Mudflaps are up to state laws. Texas - don't give a ****. Washington - give a ****. Also give an eff about numerous other stupid ass laws, such as a stock Cherokee is a station wagon due to weight, engine size, and number of doors. Due to this, certain limits such as bumper and light height are in place, and I've been pulled over in the past accordingly. In the end I just re-weighed it about a year ago, and I now weigh enough and have been re-classified as a truck. No more legal issues, and I'm within the confines of the law.
daven75 wrote:
and im just saying by the whole "run over" is that, lets say ur in a civic (common car) and you come up to a light that you have to break hard on, the chevy 2500HD behind you thats lifted CRAZY cant stop as quick, and there for you EAT there front diff.

Sounds like operator error and a nice write-off, lol. Not the truck's issue just an incompetent driver.

I forsee this going on in circles forever. As mentioned previously, the majority of people here are against half-assing an HID swap. Sorry for the use of the term, however I don't care to bust out a thesaurus. Most of us will agree that if you're going to do this, then do it right.
daven75

Post Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:30 am

Toastr wrote:
daven75 wrote:

Then the vehicles you've seen either aren't high enough to require relocation or it's not required.
Mudflaps are up to state laws. Texas - don't give a ****. Washington - give a ****. Also give an eff about numerous other stupid ass laws, such as a stock Cherokee is a station wagon due to weight, engine size, and number of doors. Due to this, certain limits such as bumper and light height are in place, and I've been pulled over in the past accordingly. In the end I just re-weighed it about a year ago, and I now weigh enough and have been re-classified as a truck. No more legal issues, and I'm within the confines of the law.
yea, my blazer was a wagon, always found that interesting, not complaining tho, brought my insurance down LOL.

daven75 wrote:

Sounds like operator error and a nice write-off, lol. Not the truck's issue just an incompetent driver.

i agree with it is always the drivers fault, even if the like wheel falls off, cause they didnt fix something obviously, but still, you get my point.

I forsee this going on in circles forever. As mentioned previously, the majority of people here are against half-assing an HID swap. Sorry for the use of the term, however I don't care to bust out a thesaurus. Most of us will agree that if you're going to do this, then do it right.
ryan71489

Post Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:19 pm

Before.....
User posted image

User posted image

The exposure time was set to -2.0 because i had no tripod hence the nicer shot of HID's in reflector housings.

After......

User posted image

User posted image

User posted image

These are before i finished reaiming them and even now they are 50 times better than reflector housings.

I know people do not like what i have done with the angel eyes and what not but i TOOK THE TIME to do something as important as this the RIGHT way.

I do not have a good enough camera to take a head on shot of both headlights because even with my angel eyes and running light from 10 feet away gives the camera a huge glare. The disadvantage of having a POS PNS camera.
ryan71489

Post Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:25 pm

Tim thanks for the how-to on aiming also will definitely be using that in my near future!
daven75

Post Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:23 pm

ryan71489 wrote:
Before.....
User posted image

User posted image

The exposure time was set to -2.0 because i had no tripod hence the nicer shot of HID's in reflector housings.

After......

User posted image

User posted image

User posted image

These are before i finished reaiming them and even now they are 50 times better than reflector housings.

I know people do not like what i have done with the angel eyes and what not but i TOOK THE TIME to do something as important as this the RIGHT way.

I do not have a good enough camera to take a head on shot of both headlights because even with my angel eyes and running light from 10 feet away gives the camera a huge glare. The disadvantage of having a POS PNS camera.

o i agree, it is much better, but not "blinding" i myself have never been blinded, and my eyes sometimes have issues at night :/
Ryu

Post Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:08 pm

This thread should just die already.
Tdawgthegreatest

Post Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:07 am

It was dead for a day till YOU Posted!

icon_lol.gif
The time now is Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:37 pm
Page 1 of 1