Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

Wiring LEDs using 9v battery?

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:21 am

Hey all, I'm looking at installing LEDs in an RC car and running them off of a 9v battery in parallel.

I haven't decided how many LEDs I want but here are some numbers I'm looking at:
Option 1: 6 Blue LEDs
Option 2: 2 Red, 2 White, 6 Blue LEDs

What I'm wondering is if the "pre-wired LEDs" from Oznium will work or not? I'm sure the pre-wired LEDs are set up for 12v-14v but would they work with 9v (even if they're a bit dimmer)? I assume that the pre-wired LEDs are the "Super Bright LEDs" combined with the appropriate resistor recommended on the resistor product page?

I know I could pick out my own resistors and what not but pre-wired would be much easier and about as cheap...if they'll work.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Cooper

Post Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:22 pm

They can still be powered by a 9v battery, although they won't be as bright .

Check out the bottom couple diagrams in the first post on this sticky in the installation forum: https://www.oznium.com/forum/topic20

It briefly talks about the option of wiring multiple LEDs in series without using a resistor . Since you'd be on battery power, this might be a good option to explore since eliminating the resistors will mean less power wasted, and it may mean you could wire the LEDs in such a way that they'd still display their full brightness at nine volts . icon_biggrin.gif

Hopefully another member will chime in, I have experience with wiring LEDs this way . icon_redface.gif
bad venge

Post Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:10 pm

What voltage is the RC car battery pack ? I tapped ny rechargeable battery pack for power and it works well
Omega-Tron

Post Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:20 pm

Cooper, thanks for the info and thanks for the link!

Bad venge, I thought about doing that but the RC car's voltage will either be 7.2v or 14.4v depending on whether the batteries are hooked together in series or parallel using a Y-adapter.

I suppose I could setup two harnesses full of LEDs wired for 7.2v and then connect them together in series or parallel depending on which battery Y-adapter I use.

I really didn't want to solder the LEDs but maybe that's the best way to go.
bad venge

Post Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:30 pm

I'm running cold cathodes as well as descrete leds for underglow , headlights /tailights and strobes to match the car
bad venge

Post Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:35 pm

User posted image
Omega-Tron

Post Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:23 am

That's really neat, what kind of car is it? I'm familiar with Traxxas and Tamiya off-road buggies and trucks...not much else lol.

Do you by chance know how many milliamps a typical receiver channel can handle (the voltage is 6V IIRC)? A diagram of 10 LEDs I have mapped out is rated at 200ma of total current. I don't know if that's too much or not. Google has not been my friend....
bad venge

Post Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:49 am

It's a Traxas 4Tec ... I also have the Nitro 4Tec both with matching bodies. Nitro not as much glow, (due to the exhaust melting the cathodes)

I'd not try to use a channel to activate I wired mine direct with a switch off the main battery pack.

Since a channel will handle a servo I'd say you could use a channel to pull in a relay (around the same draw) if you really want to
Cooper

Post Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:20 pm

Aaaa ! It looks like your barbecuing your car ! icon_eek.gif
The time now is Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:57 pm
Page 1 of 1