Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

Suitable door 'step' lights?

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:45 pm

Been browsing the Oznium light selection. Nice stuff.

Anyways..

I'm planning on doing some lighting on my '05 crew cab Silverado. One project Id like to do are courtesy lights for each door. When you open your door the light turns on and lights up whatever your going to step in...something plenty of people have done I'm sure. The light needs to be thin enough to go on the bottom side of my door and not hit anything when I shut the it. I think its about a 1/4" of clearance. I'm putting it there for a few reasons. The light will travel out with the door (showing more ground) and it will simplify wiring. They will be hidden inside the door jamb and will not be noticeable even when I turn the interior lights on going down the road. If I were to use lights under the cab I would have to use a combination of interior light power and the door triggers plus a relay for each light so that they will not turn on with the interior lights unless the door is open. That method is more work than necessary.

lol, at any rate, which LED strip/module would you recommend to throw adequate light? Pref a wide pattern. If it matters, the mounting surface is about 17.5" off the ground.

Once I get this taken care of it will be one to under the bed rail lighting, lol.

Thanks.
A-Ray

Post Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:49 pm

The only way I have seen it done personally, is be using individual LED's placed evenly apart. Wiring should be fairly simple as all you will have to do is find the wire for your dome light circuit and just tap into that.

Honestly you could use just bout any of the thinner style LED Strips and would be ok. There is a chart on the product page that gives you a general idea of how bright and the angle the glow "shoots" out at.
SimpleGreen93

Post Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:55 pm

Hmm. I must have missed that. I'll go take a look. Id rather use a strip as I'm not too keen on knocking an excess amount of holes in the truck. One hole for the wire in plenty, lol. The front doors actually have factory lighting in the door panel so I'll be tapping into that. The rear doors however do not so I'll just need to make a jumper to run to the back ones as well.
A-Ray

Post Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:21 pm

SimpleGreen93 wrote:
Hmm. I must have missed that. I'll go take a look. Id rather use a strip as I'm not too keen on knocking an excess amount of holes in the truck. One hole for the wire in plenty, lol. The front doors actually have factory lighting in the door panel so I'll be tapping into that. The rear doors however do not so I'll just need to make a jumper to run to the back ones as well.

The only issue I would have with the LED strips is that there is a possibility of the double sided tape coming lose and the strips falling off then getting smashed in the door, but I do understand you not wanting to drill the extra holes. BTW, I'm not saying the tape won't hold just throwing that out there.

But, to answer your earlier question, I would probably suggest using these strips https://www.oznium.com/flexible-led-strips/thin-waterproof-ribbon
Cooper

Post Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:03 pm

I know first-hand the silicon-encased LED strips are reasonably bright, very thin, weatherproof, and have a good spread on them . The 'ultra-flexible tri-chip led strips' are more or less the updated version of these and should also do smashingly, and probably be brighter . The 'pre-wired waterproof ribbon LED strips' shold do just fine as well, they're all a very similar design .
You might also want to check out the 'surface mount LED bars' under Linear Lights on Oznium's home page also . They're 20" long, wide viewing angle, thin, and come in a rigid aluminum housing so it might simplify your installation compared to a flexible strip . icon_biggrin.gif
Tdawgthegreatest

Post Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:08 pm

I've done the courtesy lights before on my S10 using individual LED's, and its a nightmare, let alone drilling all the holes, and sealing them.
This is How I did it using the 'Pre-wired Superflux 4 Chip LED's.' in red

I'd use these if I were going to do it again.
https://www.oznium.com/flexible-led-strips/thin-waterproof-ribbon
or
https://www.oznium.com/flexible-led-strips/flexible-tri-chip-ribbon-leds

and the doublesided tape WILL stick to your doorskins. I've done it.
bad venge

Post Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:47 pm

With a truck I'd do it under the door tilted outward even use 1 watt floods easier to mount/wire and no need to flex it thru the door loom
Tdawgthegreatest

Post Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:51 pm

Why would you flex the strip through the door loom? And he has like 1/4" clearance between the bottom of the door and his floor.

In my picture thats an IceLed tube wire going through it. Which I later fixed.
Cooper

Post Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:32 pm

I think he meant wire through the door loom for power . I was going to say the same thing but apparently the OP has courtesy lights in the doors already so its probably easier to mount in the door than the underbody, considering .
SimpleGreen93

Post Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:36 pm

I imagine the double sided tape will hold fine. The pictures show 3M tape on the lights and if that's true it should have no problem holding onto a clean door. I think the stuff we use at work is 3M and if you put it on a good clean surface your in for a boat load of fun if you have to peel it back off.

The place where I'm planning on mounting the lights is on the very bottom of the door. If you were to shut the door the lights would actually be point straight at the metal door sill beside the plastic interior sill. Completely un-noticeable from inside or out.

The reason I chose that is so I can wire them straight to interior lights and nobody will see them, even if I'm driving down the road and turn my interior lights on. If I put them under the truck and wire to interior lights they could come on while driving down the road with interior lights and be more attention than I want. I would have to use a relay as well as the door trigger signal (different than the interior light power) to basically disable the lights unless the door is open. Would have to use interior light + to power each light (one relay per door) and then use the door trigger wire for the trucks BCM to power the relay. The door would have to be open in order for the step light to turn on even if the interior lights are already on.

I'm an electrician by day (wiring new fire trucks) so the electrical part of this project is a cake walk. But Id rather keep it simple. No point in complicating something that doesn't need to be.

Thanks for the info fellas.
Cooper

Post Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:16 am

Don't forget to post pictures ! icon_biggrin.gif
Tat2Dragons

Post Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:53 pm

As a few have mentioned,the thin waterproof ribbon strips are a great choice. I used them on my ride,I installed a 12" under each front door and a 6" under each of my rear clam shell doors. I get a lot of comments on how good they actually look. icon_cool.gif I'd share some pics. but I don't really have any decent ones to show. Good Luck with your mod. icon_smile.gif
drivesacivic

Post Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:30 am

I put the 12" ribbon strips under the doors on my Civic, found some wires I didn't need and used them for power so I wouldn't have to figure out how to run new ones through the factory door loom.

User posted image
The time now is Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:12 pm
Page 1 of 1