Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

need help with a relay switch

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:39 pm

I just bought from Oz a one channel remote control molex connector kit to hook up my 55 watts fog lights. how would I wire this kit to a relay switch. If you have a diagram, pls posted. thank you in advance. It has 5 wires coming out from the remote control. one wire (blue) is the antena, 2 black wires are the ground, one red
+12vDC IN, and one white wire +12 DC OUT. Please help.
ADDICTED2ICELED

Post Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:59 pm

Don't quote me on this, but i'd image

+12DC IN coming from a fused link to your battery.

+12DC OUT would go to the Power (probably red) of the fog lights

then IF the 2 black wires are ground, find any place in your frame to screw the ground too. (use a self tapping screw) I don't know why there are two grounds thou... The fog light ground should probably be the same thing or if they are both just ground they're giving you a convenient output ??

This is IF the information you gave me is correct about what the wires are.

There should be a manual.
PwrRngr

Post Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:33 am

User posted image
Phil
Owner, Oznium.com

Post Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:28 am

What if the controller switches the ground side though? (I'm not certain if it does or not)
ADDICTED2ICELED

Post Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:18 am

then you put the controller between the the ground side of the relay and the actual ground.
ynot

Post Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:33 am

thank you very much.
PwrRngr

Post Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:28 pm

ADDICTED2ICELED wrote:
then you put the controller between the the ground side of the relay and the actual ground.

No, you ALWAYS need the relay to be on the output of the controller. If you put the controller on the other side (meaning controller inputs are hooked to relay), the relay will always be activated.

Scrap the first diagram. Wire it up this way and it doesn't matter if it's positive or negative switch.
User posted image
ADDICTED2ICELED

Post Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:43 pm

i didn't say to wire the controller to the output of the relay.
as for the IF it is negative switched...
unless one of the black wires is labeled dc switching, they're both electrically the same thing, and if one is grounded, so is the other.
putting the controller on the ground side if it's negative switched IS putting the relay on the output.

if there's two black wires and they're both ground, you're better off grounding to frame. it's better for possible electrical noise and such causing a ground loop, possibly generating enough current to causing unwanted and unprovoked switching in the controller.
I've had the problem in my alarm system that used to house some actual police strobes, that once triggered in a parking lot while i was on my way to PT. The MP's actually issued me a ticket.

Anyway, if there's a +12DC in, and a +12DC out, then it's safe to say it's positive switched.
ynot

Post Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:36 am

Thank you guys. does the remote contoler on/off Molex key fob needs to be connected to a relay switch, or could it be connected straight . this unit has 5 wires, one wire is an antenna (blue), the 2 black wires negatives grounded to the frame of the car, the red wire 12 volt in(fused) to the battery and white wire 12 volt out to the fog lights. naturaly ground the fog lights negative to the frame. nothing else would connected to this unit. the car in question is a ford crown vic 2006. Do you see any problems I could encounter if I connect it the above mentioned set up ?
You have no idea how much I appreciate your advise. Thank you again
Phil
Owner, Oznium.com

Post Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:24 am

55 watts at 12 volts is 4.6 amps so thats less than the maximum amperage of 6 amps the remote is rated for.

It could safely control ONE 55 watt bulb.

If you're trying to control TWO 55 watt bulbs, then it'd be too much to handle and you'd want to use a relay.
ynot

Post Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:19 am

Thank you Phil, I will be using the relay and connecting as shown in the diagram shown above. Just to make sure that I understood it correctly, PIN 30 I'll run a wire to the red wire output of the controller and both wires fused to the + of the battery. The WHITE wire connects to the PIN 86. Run a wire from PIN 87 to the 55 watts H3 fog lights.( both lights grounded naturally) .
the 2 black wires out the controller - one grounded to the frame of the car, the other to PIN 85.
Did I GET finally ? thanks
Tony
PwrRngr

Post Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:44 am

yup. that will work
ynot

Post Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:04 pm

PwrRngr, thank you so much. I'm going to follow your diagram to the T.
Pin # 30 fused to + battery ( joint by controller input )
Pin # 86 to white output (controller)
Pin # 87 to fog lights (55 watt H3 bulbs)
Pin # 85 to one of the controller ground. (the other black ground of the controller to chassis)
ynot

Post Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:30 am

Do I need to ground the antenna or just leave it stretch out.
PwrRngr

Post Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:36 am

The antenna should be to allow the receiver to sense the key fob signal. Just leave it stretched out.
ynot

Post Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:54 am

thanks pwr rngr, the instalation went great and easy.
The time now is Tue May 22, 2018 9:48 pm
Page 1 of 1