Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

Poll: custom bumper or smooth

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:08 pm

Have to fabricate a rear bumper for the truck, I am way over the legal limit and one sheriff is making it his job to let me know. So to keep the truck on the road, I am going to swallow this one with a tear and make a bolt on bumper, not going to be pretty, but better than her sitting in the driveway.

Anyway, my question is:

Should I plasma cut stars (I was thinking big one in the center under the license plate, then smaller as it goes out) or should I just make a smooth (kinda curved to match the roll pan) straight piece of steel?

Either one will be powder coated to match the truck, just wanted to know opinions on if you think the stars would make a good pop to the rear with it matching the stars in the taillights, or should I just make it smooth since the gate is shaved and the roll pan...

Let me know which you would do and WHY, thanks for the input.

Here is a decent pic of the rear:

A-Ray

Post Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:36 pm

I vote shaved
Moss

Post Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:38 pm

I like the smooth idea, the more it blends in the better it will look. Draw less attention to the piece than you need to.
Tdawgthegreatest

Post Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:49 pm

wait, whats illegal about your rear bumper?
Tat2Dragons

Post Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:48 pm

Tdawgthegreatest wrote:
The fact that he doesn't have one. biglaugh.gif icon_smile.gif

How about removing your roll pan and fabricate a custom bumper to fit/hide directly behind the roll pan? This way you keep the clean look and stay legal. icon_cool.gif Oh and it would be pretty cool to get pulled over by that same Police officer and show him that you do indeed have a bumper. icon_wink.gif
The_Mastor

Post Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:17 am

The point isn't that I don't have a bumper, per se, it is that the HEIGHT of the bottom of the "bumper" or roll pan is about 10" over the legal limit icon_lol.gif

Only one guy has beef with it and he happens to be a **** saying if I don't get it fixed he will ticket me for everything else wrong icon_rolleyes.gif

I pass numerous cops/sheriffs all the time, only one of them pulls me over. I've been pulled over for other things (no blinker, tabs expired, etc) and they don't even mention the other stuff, let alone the bumper. Most are just shooting compliments. Oh well, always has to be that one right? icon_rolleyes.gif

So looks like the consensus is smooth so far... No one thinks putting stars would give it a custom pop, instead of it looking like there is just this ugly piece of steel there?

More points of views are welcome, the thing is being made tomorrow so get your say in. icon_biggrin.gif
bad venge

Post Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:36 am

When I had Bumper Height issues I fabricated a Pipe Bumper bent to follow the curves and dropped it down to legal limit and then ran bracing straight down from the frame and back at a 45 degree to the frame I had a sign stating" If You Can't Stop DUCK!"
That was more then appropriate as I was hit by a Grand National (I was at a Stop light)
and was rear ended at 70MPH (approximate) by a drunk my rear wheels were on his hood and most of his roof was ripped off by my Pipe Bumper
Tow driver asked If I could pull off of the hood , threw it in 4WD and went down unfortunately the two tow hooks on the bumper grapped and ripped the roof off ... I had his windsheild and part of the roof dangling from the tow hooks
Tdawgthegreatest

Post Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:32 am

Ouch that sucks, I've never had a problem with my rollpan. But then again mine is like 6inches from the ground.
I'd say smooth it, I hate the look of "Kustom Stars" in bumpers, right along with the corvette light fad.

Smooth it, and put a pipe bumper like Venge Said.
Moss

Post Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:12 am

bad venge wrote:
When I had Bumper Height issues I fabricated a Pipe Bumper bent to follow the curves and dropped it down to legal limit and then ran bracing straight down from the frame and back at a 45 degree to the frame I had a sign stating" If You Can't Stop DUCK!"
That was more then appropriate as I was hit by a Grand National (I was at a Stop light)
and was rear ended at 70MPH (approximate) by a drunk my rear wheels were on his hood and most of his roof was ripped off by my Pipe Bumper
Tow driver asked If I could pull off of the hood , threw it in 4WD and went down unfortunately the two tow hooks on the bumper grapped and ripped the roof off ... I had his windsheild and part of the roof dangling from the tow hooks

I was thinking that pipe would look better.
Knox

Post Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:39 am

I think the less noticeable you make the drop down bumper the better.
Tdawgthegreatest

Post Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:07 am

Or instead of changing it, sell the truck to me. icon_biggrin.gif
Highland J

Post Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:17 am

Or me! ^ haa
Phil
Owner, Oznium.com

Post Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:39 am

Automotive bliss!

awesome pic dude
Ryu

Post Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:32 am

Moss wrote:
I like the smooth idea, the more it blends in the better it will look. Draw less attention to the piece than you need to.

x2 Will look so much better
ADDICTED2ICELED

Post Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:36 pm

Tdawgthegreatest wrote:

if someone rear ended him, they'd wind up under the trunk, maybe even decapitated...

Bumpers exist for a reason.
Tdawgthegreatest

Post Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:27 pm

I know that, I was thinking that maybe in his area for some stupid reason or another, his rollpan Specifically was illegal.
02BlueStang

Post Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:48 pm

I would go with a dual pipe bumper like mentioned....less attention and will flow well with the truck if powder coated black.
Phil
Owner, Oznium.com

Post Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:09 am

This is my iPhone background pic, so similar to your lol with the red and black. love it:
(from aston martin dealership in jo'burg SA):

User posted image
The_Mastor

Post Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:21 pm

Nice looking car there Phil icon_cool.gif You buy it yet? icon_lol.gif
The time now is Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:19 pm
Page 1 of 1