Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

blowing fuses...why?

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Thu Apr 22, 2004 5:49 pm

ok i installed my "poormans ub kit" consisting of 6, dual cathode kits, and i flipt the switch and everything worked perfectly. put then my mom drove the truck the nxt morning (not 16 yet), and i went to flip the switch and didnt work. Fuses was blown, put in another, blown, etc. (happened like 3 times before i stopped) :s

so what are sum reason that this keeps happening??

thanks for any help ahead of time

peace
Phil
Owner, Oznium.com

Post Thu Apr 22, 2004 6:17 pm

There is too much current running through the fuse. Either there is a short in the circuit somehwere (which is unlikely), or the cathodes are using too much power for the fuse you have installed. If you have a 5A fuse, try putting in a 7A fuse, etc...
goinpro

Post Thu Apr 22, 2004 6:19 pm

i have a 10 amp fuse...and i have to check for a short circuit tonite...where should i look mainly
Phil
Owner, Oznium.com

Post Thu Apr 22, 2004 6:26 pm

Well it could be anywhere. I doubt the lights would turn on at all before the fuse blew if you had a short circuit.

You might want to just put in a 15A fuse or something.
Optika1 illushun

Post Thu Apr 22, 2004 8:01 pm

i just want to comment, when replacing a fuse on anything make sure to replace it with the correct size it came with or it will cause a short else where in the system and failure will result. in this case, add a larger fuse and poke around lookin for any shorts to ground and go over it with a DVOM (digital voltage/ohm meter)

places to look are at the connections and look for a broken/crimped/chaffed wire. might wanna try a voltage drop test also.

if all is good on that front then bump up the fuse size one step until the fuse does not blow. i dont know much about cathodes and how much they draw so i cant say but phil is right on this one.
goinpro

Post Thu Apr 22, 2004 8:09 pm

ok so it looks like i will get a bigger fuse...i will let you all kno how it comes out...thank you all
Brandon

Post Fri Apr 23, 2004 10:03 am

what circuit is it on (did you tap in to factory wires or did you make it's own straight to the battery?). 10A is PLENTY of current for 6 cathodes. Adding bigger fuses blindly can lead to more serious problems.

Check your wiring for a short anywhere. It may be a small one if the lights kick on for a second.
BlueShark

Post Fri Apr 23, 2004 2:16 pm

I will go with Phil's idea, but go slowly on the fuses, one step at the time, because a too high rating fuse will simply do nothing for you, the cathodes will be blown before the fuse does. I will look at the all the wires, you just have a short somewhere. Do you run a stand alone wire from the battery?
goinpro

Post Fri Apr 23, 2004 3:06 pm

ya i ran a wire straight from the battery... guess i have to look for a short in the morning
Phil
Owner, Oznium.com

Post Fri Apr 23, 2004 3:52 pm

Oh yeah I agree 10amp is plenty for 6 cathodes.
goinpro

Post Fri Apr 23, 2004 7:22 pm

is 15 amps to much?
goinpro

Post Sat Apr 24, 2004 11:22 am

ok soo now i went through 4 15 amp fuses. then i regrounded everything and checked all the power wires and blew my last 15 amp fuse...i am starting to get angry...now what do i look for when i am looking for a "short"?

thank you
Brandon

Post Sat Apr 24, 2004 1:07 pm

bare power wire touching a ground. Look for pinches in the power wire and loose connections.
goinpro

Post Sat Apr 24, 2004 5:03 pm

ok finally got it...alrite well i will take pictures tonite icon_smile.gif...thanks for all your help

peace
goinpro

Post Sun Apr 25, 2004 10:39 pm

ok well i thought i had it...so i tested it in the daylight and worked fine...drove it sumwhere and tested it again. Then went to drive it at nite and went to turn them on and they stayed on for like 100 feet then GONE!...ok so what is going on? now
Brandon

Post Sun Apr 25, 2004 11:24 pm

did it blow a fuse? If so, the short might have come back. What did you change that made you think you 'had it'?
goinpro

Post Mon Apr 26, 2004 7:11 am

found a lose wire....so i think i am just gunna go and redo all the wiring nxt weekend or maybe i cant get it done during the week
Mav

Post Mon Apr 26, 2004 5:46 pm

check for wires near moving parts too.. around suspension especially.. your driving with wires near the suspension can be what's causing the short.. pinching the wires and grounding them to eachother etc... Cathodes only draw a lot of power to start up. Once they are fired up they draw like 100 miliamps. you could run 6 pair of cathodes off of a 5 amp fuse and never blow it.

Also remember that high rating fuses with high guage wire is bad... If the wire guage is like 22 guage.. it will catch fire before your fuse blows.
Phil
Owner, Oznium.com

Post Mon Apr 26, 2004 6:30 pm

FIRE evil.gif Eyecrazy.gif
dbismyname

Post Mon Apr 26, 2004 7:14 pm

fire is a *****. i had burning boxers when my wire caught on fire on my bike icon_cry.gif
goinpro

Post Mon Apr 26, 2004 7:16 pm

haha i hope i will not have a fire (knocks on wood)...i am running 16 gauge wire to a 10A fuse...i should be ok rite?
BlueShark

Post Mon Apr 26, 2004 7:20 pm

Since you are taking out the wiring, make sure also that the wire connected to the cathode and transformator is well secure, glue gun or tape, sometime, with vibration, any loose part will shorten the circuit. You can shake the kit a little bit when light on to see any flickering before installing it.
goinpro

Post Mon Apr 26, 2004 7:24 pm

ok thanks
goinpro

Post Mon Apr 26, 2004 10:58 pm

ok soo i went and looked at the car...got the lights to come on...went to shut the hood and as soon as it shut bam lights out...again...this is getting old...
Mav

Post Mon Apr 26, 2004 11:21 pm

You obviously have either a loose wire connection, or a wire that's running through the suspension that's getting smashed and grounding out, or you have the positive and negative ends of a connection right next to eachother and a little bit of wire that's barely touching across them. When you closed your hood or drove your car, the vibration caused by those 2 things caused the wires to touch eachother or ground out onto the frame of the car, and short. When in doubt, replace the wire. If you look at all the ends and they look good, then pull the wire and throw it away. Wire doesn't cost that much to replace... costs a lot less then the money you've dumped into fuses already...
goinpro

Post Tue Apr 27, 2004 7:11 pm

ok sooo replaced all the wires...turned em on works....ok good shut the hood doesnt work...ok...open hood...put new fuses in....leave hood open...and guess what?....doesnt work again...so now wut to do???

i have one more box of fuses and if it doesnt work by then, then i am just gunna have to take em off and say **** IT!
goinpro

Post Tue Apr 27, 2004 7:31 pm

alrite i am done w/ these thanks for all your help but there is nothing else that i can do i have done it all
super_accord

Post Tue Apr 27, 2004 7:50 pm

Make sure you taped the bare wires, and how do you have these hooked up- straight to the battery? and if so how did you connect it to the battery?
dbismyname

Post Tue Apr 27, 2004 7:56 pm

tear it all out
start over with brand new wire.
take your time and wire it all right.
ive never had this problem
BlueShark

Post Tue Apr 27, 2004 8:31 pm

Not to burst your bubble, but i don't think that fuses is your problem, still think that vibration (of the hood and moving car) causes the problem, look at the jonction of the wires and the cathodes to see if loose or securely connected (the EL in the cathode is very fragile to movement, specially when the wire into it is loose).

Also, ziptie all the wires to the chassis to prevent it to move, mostly close to cathode jonction.

Hope that helps
Mav

Post Tue Apr 27, 2004 11:15 pm

hook up each cathode individually. Turn just that one single cathode and shake the inverter. If you shake it and the fuse blows, then that inverter is bad. If it works fine, then do the same to the next inverter (just do one inverted at a time so nothing else can be the cause of the problem). One of those inverters probably has a loose connection inside of it. When you find one that blows the fuse, you know that's the bad inverter.
goinpro

Post Tue Apr 27, 2004 11:18 pm

ok i just got done with what MAV said to do...and they all worked (knocks on wood) and i drove around and hit sum bumbs and they workd now (knocks on wood again) so i will have pics tomoorroo....thanks everyone for alll your help

peace
Optika1 illushun

Post Wed Apr 28, 2004 2:19 pm

glad to see it all worked out for ya, one loose wire can really cause a lot of aggrivation, eh? thats why i solder, use heat shrink tubing, loom, zip tie and use proper connectors from now on...had this happen to me and i learned my lesson... icon_biggrin.gif
goinpro

Post Wed Apr 28, 2004 2:38 pm

ya...well i am at school and will get pics tonite thanks everyone
goinpro

Post Thu Apr 29, 2004 10:10 pm

pics are up in the gallery under lincoln navigator....thanks for all your help there will be more to come thanks you all again
DragonJeep

Post Thu Apr 29, 2004 11:45 pm

Anybody else see the irony here?

"Poor man's UB" but drives a 98 navigator?

Is that your moms truck?
goinpro

Post Fri Apr 30, 2004 6:31 am

no its mine...haha...good point...but i dont have very much money after the truck soo thats why
The time now is Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:22 am
Page 1 of 1