Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

Sharp, Quality Kitchen Knives.

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:48 pm

Anyone else here cook enough to appreciate a really sharp quality knife in the kitchen??

What kind of knives do you use and what do you use to keep them sharp?

Preferred cutting board?
Tim

Post Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:01 pm

Are you serious?
A-Ray

Post Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:06 pm

I would recommend a nice bamboo cutting board.

For a knife, you can't go wrong with a nice Santoku for general purpose.
corvettecrazy

Post Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:30 pm

I am in need of a new cutting board that is larger than the one I have now. Good thought.

I currently have a Messermeister San Moritz, 6ish different J.A. Henckel's and an older set of not as good knives.

Some are in need of some TLC as they were passed down to me and transported poorly, while some of the others just need a little work to be back to where they should be. Unfortunately I am not super knowledgeable about the sharpening side of things.(Although, I'm not clueless either)

Tim wrote:
Are you serious?

Yes, I am. I see nothing wrong with the topic because I would gander to say a few people on here actually know their way around a kitchen quite well.
bad venge

Post Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:43 pm

I've got a Ken Onion set of Knives and a Bamboo cutting board
A-Ray

Post Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:31 pm

I've heard a lot of good things about the Ken Onion stuff, but never actually seen any close up.

Speaking of sharpening, my grandmother has a knife that she has had ever since I can remember (I'm currently 27). She sharpens it using the stove top burner. Not quite sure how she does it, but it works and the damn thing is always sharp as hell.
Cooper

Post Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:06 pm

I use a set of JA Henckels, they've always done right by me .

I just use the honing steel it comes with to keep the knives sharp . I usually hone them every time I make a meal but not if I'm just cutting a lime or something; it only takes a minute . When I bought them I just YouTube'd "how to use a sharpening steel" or something and did what the guy does in the video . It keeps them super sharp .

Any kind of cutting board works as long as its not glass or something that's going to dull the knife . Ignore concerns about what board materials hold bacteria, just keep it clean . Bamboo is neat looking . If you have a wood/bamboo board oil it every once in a blue moon to extend its life .
kornholio788

Post Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:55 am

^^^ I have a JA Henckles set myself. I was in the search for a nice good knife set after I had gone through 2 cheapo sets. After quite a bit of research I found that to be a good brand I could trust. I found a nice block set(not as many as the picture above but still like 14 knives) for like 150 at khols. Had a coupon for 20% off and had my grandma go with on senior day. Got them for a really good price imo.

I love them. All kitchens must have a decent knife set in it imo. Properly cared for I see these knives lasting a long time. 10xs happier with these than my cheapo 20 dollar set.
02BlueStang

Post Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:03 am

someone can buy me a set for Xmas...I currently have cheapo steak knives icon_redface.gif
Ryu

Post Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:18 am

User posted image

We have a single one of these at work. Works great.
banned from SG

Post Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:32 pm

I have some Farberware's. They're not too shabby
KrzysD

Post Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:34 pm

woot has a 11 piece shun ken for 699 every so often want it SO bad.
i got one of Shun Kai classic series boning (haha) knifes and WOW never used such a nice knife, and a 12" slicing knife... icon_smile.gif for ever thing else i have Calphalon knives.

Sharpening with the Shun's are nice, just send them in to the company...the Calphalon's i use uhhh those metal mini jousting looking things....Honers?

Cutting boards...cheap plastic ones from target.
pOrk

Post Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:02 pm

We have a super cheap knife set and use bamboo boards, still need to buy a good set of knives. My wife cooks a LOT, just trying to find a set worth buying. The last 2 100+ dollar sets we bought were complete crap
Cooper

Post Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:04 pm

Ryu wrote:
User posted image

I've always heard bad things about these electric sharpeners . The criticism I always hear is that they remove too much material from the blade when they sharpen it . So like.. it may be good for an occasional sharpening or to revive an very old knife that has become very dull, but its not good for day to day sharpening like honing is .
Honestly I'm not sure if its fact or myth, but I heard it enough that I never bought a sharpener like this .
alkatmsu

Post Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:48 pm

bad venge wrote:

I have a pocket knife he designed, everyone that's seen/used it loves it, myself included.
corvettecrazy

Post Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:44 pm

pOrk wrote:
We have a super cheap knife set and use bamboo boards, still need to buy a good set of knives. My wife cooks a LOT, just trying to find a set worth buying. The last 2 100+ dollar sets we bought were complete crap

Exactly why it pays to buy a few nice knives that will last a long time. Having been in your kitchen, I agree, you need a NICE knife in that place. icon_lol.gif icon_razz.gif

Working with a sharp knife that is correct for the job at hand is such a pleasure when cooking.

Cooper: That is my impression from everything I have read about electric sharpeners.
corvettecrazy

Post Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:47 pm

alkatmsu wrote:
bad venge wrote:

I have a pocket knife he designed, everyone that's seen/used it loves it, myself included.

What model do you have? I just looked up his stuff, pretty sweet knives but they look $$ for a pocket knife.

I know for me if my pocket knife can't double as a bottle opener I don't want it.
ADDICTED2ICELED

Post Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:08 pm

Cutco
alkatmsu

Post Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:03 am

corvettecrazy wrote:
alkatmsu wrote:
bad venge wrote:

What model do you have? I just looked up his stuff, pretty sweet knives but they look $$ for a pocket knife.

I know for me if my pocket knife can't double as a bottle opener I don't want it.

Ive got the Kershaw Leek. I forget the exact model, but it's the one with the textured handle. Got it off eBay for about $60.
bad venge

Post Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:50 am

This is the Ken Onion set I have.
This set pops up on Woot or sell out woot for $239/$299
SuBXeRo

Post Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:52 pm

kershaw is good, ja henklen, i actually got a 7" cuisinart santoku from marshalls for 10bux, ive had it for the past year and half and its been great. I would like some JA Henkel stuff eventually.
ChevyCaprice9C1

Post Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:41 pm

ADDICTED2ICELED wrote:
Cutco

yeah i have these because my sister use to sell them they are insanely sharp i have had mine for two years now and they are just as sharp as the day i got them but they are pricey
olverafam

Post Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:17 pm

Hey Those knives that are a couple comments up with all the asian writting on them are the same ones we have, But we don't have that wood holder thing and we don't have all the knives that are supposed to come with the set, I think we got em at an auction, But the ones we do have cut really good. I never would have thought that the set would be that expensive. A knife set should never cost that much, But do you think there are knives out there in the $100 range that cut exactly like a $1000 knife set?
Kindschi

Post Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:52 am

Cooper wrote:
Ryu wrote:
User posted image

I've always heard bad things about these electric sharpeners . The criticism I always hear is that they remove too much material from the blade when they sharpen it . So like.. it may be good for an occasional sharpening or to revive an very old knife that has become very dull, but its not good for day to day sharpening like honing is .
Honestly I'm not sure if its fact or myth, but I heard it enough that I never bought a sharpener like this .

We have one at work (Other cutter brought it in.) Yes it does remove a decent amount of the metal but for someone whos not gonna use the knife for 8 hrs a day it should not be an issue. Its good for when we need a decent edge in a hurry but for a long lasting edge we use the 3 stone system (Google it). But the most important thing to do to keep a knife sharp its to learn to use a steel and steel your knife after every use, the steel is harder then the knife and keeps the edge.. it does not sharpen the knife as many think.

I work 8 hour days and I use my knife constantly.. when it gets dull I steel it for 15-20 seconds... I sharper my knife maybe once a month... maybe even as little as once every 6 weeks. The steel I have is a combo while its still round 2 sides are smooth and two sides are rough... Ill get the extact name and post it up, I know it but cant spell it.. lol
bad venge

Post Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:35 am

The time now is Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:37 pm
Page 1 of 1