Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

Wiring LED strips to domes and a switch

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:36 pm

This is pretty basic but i still don't know off hand how to wire it. I have 4 LED strips one in each footwell and i want to hook them up to a switch so i can obviously turn them off at my discretion but i also want them to come on when my dome lights come on.

How would i go about doing this? If a relay is required what pins need what?(meaning which pin gets power, ground etc.)

Thanks in advance!
PwrRngr

Post Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:42 am

It's pretty easy. You'll run two power wires to the LED strips. One will come from the dome light that's switched on and off with the dome light (assuming your dome light is positive switched). The other one will come from a constant 12V to you switch and then to the LEDs.
bad venge

Post Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:21 am

I'd personally NOT do it this way as there can be backfeeding unless you use diodes to Isolate it ...
Do you know are your door switches negitive or positive switched?
I'd use a relay , If you get me the answer on the question then I can draw you a diagram on the relay/connections
PwrRngr

Post Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:49 am

bad venge wrote:
I'd personally NOT do it this way as there can be backfeeding unless you use diodes to Isolate it ...
Do you know are your door switches negitive or positive switched?
I'd use a relay , If you get me the answer on the question then I can draw you a diagram on the relay/connections

Yeah, you do have to use a diode or else the switch will also turn the dome light on.
ryan71489

Post Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:28 pm

my dome lights actually turn on when you unlock the car so an actual door switch would not work. I tried it with a different project.

My dome is positive switched though. Pwrrngr i did have some diodes laying around here somehwere if only i could find them! If i did the diode method would i put it inline with the power wire from the LED's that goes to the switch? If not where would i put it inline?
bad venge

Post Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:04 am

I'd use a diode in both lines to prevent either from backfeeding

Relay
User posted image
30 + feed to lights
87A + wire from dome light
87 + wire from Switch
86 + wire from switch as well
85 Ground

Ground lights as normal
PwrRngr

Post Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:21 am

You definitely need it on the power wire from the dome light to the LED strips. If you tapped into a circuit to get the constant 12V, I would also put a diode on as well. If you ran a direct power wire to the batter (w/ a fuse), I would forgo the diode.
The time now is Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:45 pm
Page 1 of 1