Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

need help 5050 SMD installing on Chevy Cruze...

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:35 pm

hi all, has anyone installed the 5050 SMD on Chevy Cruze? I am intending to get 4 for the foot wells and another 4 for puddle lamps under the door and will be tapping power from the dome lights.

I have read most of the pages here and its been really informative. icon_biggrin.gif All I need to know is the process for removing the door panels and door sills...thanks!
bad venge

Post Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:20 am

With that new of a car you are likely on your own. most have not even seen one yet aside from commercials.
Also not sure why you want to use the SMD's for footwells most use pirhana bars ect for easy install , same goes for puddle lights a 4 chip would yeild better results...
btzqabc

Post Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:26 am

Ya, I was searching high and low but can't find anyone who has done it yet.. As for the smd, I'm looking for more subtle lighting so that's why I'm going with the smds
DJTricky

Post Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:53 am

what year is the chevy?
bad venge

Post Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:57 am

11 likely they JUST came out
btzqabc

Post Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:00 pm

yup..2011... the closest i found on the forum was chevy malibu... no one seemed to have diy-ed cruze yet...

not sure how bright the SMDs are actually..
bad venge

Post Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:06 am

Not very compared to either the 4 chip or the Pirhana bars... Also it depends what color certain colors show up better...

Thats one pirhana bar in each footwell
btzqabc

Post Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:57 am

that's very bright! icon_eek.gif I'm looking at warm whites.. Just need to figure out how to remove panels and trims without damaging them...
bad venge

Post Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:25 am

Most of the time theres opening in the underdash to mount them across behind the dash panels
Or mount them under the seat shining forward
btzqabc

Post Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:21 pm

but how do i route it to the back door and seats? from what i read in other forums, the side scuff trims have to be removed (plucked out i believe?), and then tucked under the carpet.. hope it works the same with the cruze.
Phil
Owner, Oznium.com

Post Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:38 pm

Another option, to give you flexibility is get the 10" piranha bars for under the dash, and use one of our LED dimmers.
bad venge

Post Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:41 am

For footwell lighting the EASIEST is to mount under the seats front and rear simpler to wire ect.

For the puddle lighting you will have to run power up from the dome lights so when you open the door power will be supplied to the puddle lights. Close door puddle lights go off.

Since manufacture vary and I have not seen a Cruze you will have to pull the door sill trim and find where they run the door harnesses and add a wire and fish it thru the flex to get into the door . You can normally tap a ground from the power window /locks to complete the circuit. then do all the other doors same way. You will have to secure the wires to ensure they can't gett hit by the windows going up/down and not get in the way of the door lock mechanisms either
Golfer

Post Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:19 pm

Instructions to remove door panel according to GM:
Front Side Door Upper Trim Cover Clip (Qty: 2)
Procedure
Grasp the rear portion of the trim cover and pull inboard to disengage clips.

After you remove that piece then you remove the door panel itself:

Front Side Door Pull Handle Bolt

Tighten
2 Nm (18 lb in)

Front Side Door Inside Handle Bolt Finish Cap
Procedure
Pull handle back to remove cap. Use suitable tool to unsnap.

Front Side Door Inside Handle Bolt
Tighten
2.5 Nm (22 lb in)

Front Side Door Trim Clip (Qty: 10)
Special Tools
BO-38778 Door Trim Panel Clip Remover
For equivalent regional tools, refer to Special Tools.

Front Side Door Trim
Procedure
1. Pull upwards on the door lock retainer cable to disengage.
2. Disconnect the electrical connectors.
Tip:
Only use BO-38778 remover to disengage the door trim clips from the door. Do not disengage the clips by pulling from the map pocket area, since this can distort the trim panel.

Golfer

Post Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:25 pm

Here is the door sill:

Just 4 clips pull it out.

Sorry it took me so long, I somehow missed this thread. Anything else you need let me know!
btzqabc

Post Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:28 am

Thanks golfer for the detailed manual ! I already have front footwell lamps so I am probably going to run wires from the fuse box (not comfortable with splicing existing cables) to under the front seats. Read that there might be a chance of running into problems in the future. Correct me if I'm wrong.

So probably be having two fuse taps, one for footwell lamps and the other for puddle lamps from te fuse box.

Bad venge, I read that grounding can be done by bolting it to any metal part of the chassis? Or do I have to ground it from existing power window wires. Can you elaborate? Thanks!
btzqabc

Post Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:56 am

oh Golfer, do i need to get the BO-38778 tool? Or can I just yank it out? icon_biggrin.gif seems like there are only two screws on the entire panel and the rest are just clips..
bad venge

Post Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:36 am

doors normally have hinges and with grease ect these are not always a 100% true ground.
You can take an ohm meter and verify a door as being a good ground but I prefer to pick up a ground wire to the switch cluster in the door

Harbor freight sells a great nylon prybar/puller set under $10 thats great for popping clips ect
Golfer

Post Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:12 am

Yeah, any tool for removing clips will work. I'd say just pull it out, don't often see broken door clips...
btzqabc

Post Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:11 pm

Hi Bad venge, apologies for being a noob here. How do I ground to the switch cluster exactly?

Do I splice into an existing negative power window wire ?

Thanks Golfer, think I'll just pull it out..
bad venge

Post Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:54 pm

Get an ohmmeter and verify the wire is 3/5 ohms to the actual vehicle ground. This is the best way to check if it is a ground. Then splice into the wire or use a T tap
The time now is Sun May 20, 2018 10:07 pm
Page 1 of 1