Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

Proper way to connect 12 volts to heated seats?

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:12 am

I have a car without wires to heated seats and need some heat, So i got a seat with seat heater in it. Question is what is a proper way to connect it?

I thought id connect it to the cig-lighter wires and have a switch in-between. What else might be good to have there to minimize the risk of fire? I want it to be medium hot icon_wink.gif
bad venge

Post Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:19 am

If these are FACTORY heated seats I'd suggest getting the factory buttons and wire harness as different companies run these different ways some control heat via voltage regulators and they switch it at different levels others use PWM pulse width modulation to control the heat.
Since I have no idea what you drive or what seats you have I can not comment on the exacts
ramviksrille

Post Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:59 pm

bad venge wrote:
If these are FACTORY heated seats I'd suggest getting the factory buttons and wire harness as different companies run these different ways some control heat via voltage regulators and they switch it at different levels others use PWM pulse width modulation to control the heat.
Since I have no idea what you drive or what seats you have I can not comment on the exacts

Sorry about the missing facts. Its a subaru legacy, 2004 and the seats with heaters are factory seats from a similar car from 2005. Ive been through subie forums for info but im stuck with the fact that the colours in the wire harness in the car dont match with the colours in the plug/wires that comes from the 2005. The service manual cover only one of them.

And since the wires from the heater are the regular black and red i thought i might just feed it with 12v over some 20a fuse (here is were i think you can help me)...

The factory buttons cover 5 different levels on each seat and have 12 wires. In the car the heater gear comes from these wires were cut from the plug and welded together with the cars harness, not as it use to be in a plug. Something is not standard procedure about that i think. Maybe thats why it was cheap :wink:

And instead of finding the correct match to the 12 wires the plan was to install a standard on/off plug on each seat as i suspect it will save me hours.
bad venge

Post Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:05 pm

As I am not sure on the subie set up I can not recomend hooking 12 volts direct some use less then full voltage to heat the seats as mentioned others use a PWM set up .
If they use less then 12 volts or a PWM hooking them up could Burn out the heaters, Cause a fire , Ect ect .
ramviksrille

Post Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:54 am

Tnx for stopping me. I will try to find the wiring diagram for the model i got the plug from, So far it seems like its the same for both cars but i must be doin something wrong when searching.

After searching i realized that the plug i have most likely is from another subaru model since it fits perfectly but have the wrong wiring. I found another one still intact from the exact same model, will get it any day. Hopefully it will be plug and play.
bad venge

Post Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:18 am

I DOUBT it will be plug and play , You will need the switches for the seats and may have to add a fuse in the fuse box and add wiring to the switches ect ... Some come prewired where you might be able to add the switch plug it in to the existing harness and add the fuse ...
ramviksrille

Post Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:22 am

Ive checked the fuses and they are there. The only thing i havnt checked when it comes to the obvious things is the relay. The wire harness to the seat heater control comes up under the middle consol, just beggin for a plug. The plugs for the seats is ready. If it all fit il give it a try and continue from there if it wont work.
bad venge

Post Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:01 am

Some have a "black box" under the center console that may plug into the harness you mention. then run out to the seats. You might need that orthe relay you mentioned.
ramviksrille

Post Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:19 am

bad venge wrote:
Some have a "black box" under the center console that may plug into the harness you mention. then run out to the seats. You might need that orthe relay you mentioned.

Yes, according to the manual its right next to the fuse box. Cant identify it yet though. Will install some leds to get my mind of this for a while.
And finally found my multimeter icon_rolleyes.gif
The time now is Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:23 am
Page 1 of 1