Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

My truck lowered, with new wheels and new hood

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:03 pm

These are the wheels off our (now gone) Grand Am that I painted dark grey.

Drove 5 hours to pick up this hood. Not the most attractive, but definately aggressive looking!
xracer000

Post Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:21 pm

As a follow-up, how do you make the pictures show in the message? I forgot, so I can only post links. THX.
bad venge

Post Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:48 pm

On the Post reply hit the Img tag on the top right , then insert link to picture then hit the Img again
Tdawgthegreatest

Post Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:44 pm

1. Your headlights are in wrong.
2. I've never been a fan of those hoods and Bodykits

But other than that, its a sweet looking truck, sits nice.
pOrk

Post Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:27 am

Lose the graphics, emblems and hood, reinstall headlights ( or get factory headlights those things SCREAM cheap ) and paint match the grille. Truck sure sits nice. Also get step shavers!
xracer000

Post Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:45 pm

bad venge wrote:
On the Post reply hit the Img tag on the top right , then insert link to picture then hit the Img again

Thanks. I will give that a try when I post updated pics.
xracer000

Post Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:53 pm

Tdawgthegreatest wrote:

Even my stock headlights didn't want to fit right. There were always gaps between them and the fenders. I did a fast alignment on them, so they look off right now.

I have been wanting a new hood, but wasn't willing to pay $650 plus getting it to Canada. So this one was $150 and it is a working ram air (the intakes are open, but not setup for ram air yet).

As for the body kit, it is a Wings West kit (not a stock OEM Xtreme kit) and a Wings West 3-piece sweep spolier on the tailgate and bed. Stands out from all the other S-10's I have seen (although I am biased!).

It had the 2" factory drop, but I needed shocks, so I decided to drop it another 2". I have been asked why I didn't go with air, and I didn't want to spend that cash (also didn't trust the local shops to do the work) and again I wanted something different then every S-10 I have seen lately that are riding on air.
xracer000

Post Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:04 pm

pOrk wrote:
Lose the graphics, emblems and hood, reinstall headlights ( or get factory headlights those things SCREAM cheap ) and paint match the grille. Truck sure sits nice. Also get step shavers!

The dark red metallic looks like crap without graphics - too plain. I just about bought a black one before they put the graphics on this one. But, after 10 years I am tired of the graphics and it needs to be repainted. So, hopefully next summer it will get completely redone. Not sure what yet, but I have all winter to think about it!

It is partially de-crested. But when it gets painted it will be. Except the grill, which I have been wanting to remove since day one, but it is molded into the chrome crossbar. So, it would take a lot of cutting, sanding, and time to remove it.

Like I said, the hood is not awesome, but it stands out from a crowd. And I eventually want to get the ram air working.

As for the projection headlights, yep they were cheap - FREE! They will look different when they are covered like my lowere corner lights.

I was going to color-match the grill, then I wasn't. Now I am thinking of just changing the complete grill to one without a Chevy bow-tie. I like the black grill, as it matches the wiper cowl, door handles and step side plates. I just never liked the chrome cross bar.

As for the step shavers, I hate the look. The S-series look narrow to begin with, and the shaved steps just enphasizes it even more. Plus, since I have a 3-piece spoiler on the tailgate/bed, the shavers would just look out of place.
xracer000

Post Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:10 pm

Thanks for the comments on how my truck looks. I will be getting updated pics soon - hopefully before the snow flies!

One thing to anyone using a static lowering kit on an S-series truck - expect to bottom out on everything with the center crossbar of the frame (the crossbar houses the hanger bearing for the drive shaft). I sit so low that I even clipped a soft drink can laying on it's side on the road.
mntndewboy69

Post Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:56 pm

I like it. I think it would be nicer without the graphic, but that colour is nice. Tint your headlights to match your lower fogs (well, not fogs... whatever they are. the other lights below your headlamps...) and tails, lose the graphic, and you're all set. oh. and window tint. 20% or whatever that is you have on rear and far back glass. maybe some spacers on your wheels so they don't look so sunk in. but overall, nice truck, i'd drive it.
xracer000

Post Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:44 pm

mntndewboy69 wrote:
I like it. I think it would be nicer without the graphic, but that colour is nice. Tint your headlights to match your lower fogs (well, not fogs... whatever they are. the other lights below your headlamps...) and tails, lose the graphic, and you're all set. oh. and window tint. 20% or whatever that is you have on rear and far back glass. maybe some spacers on your wheels so they don't look so sunk in. but overall, nice truck, i'd drive it.

The graphics are what sold the truck. The dealer had a solid black, blue and red for 4 or 5 month just sitting on the lot. I was going to buy the black and black out everything, until I went back and they had put on the stripes on the red - SOLD. After I bought mine, they striped the other two and they sold also! But as I said, I have been thinking about repainting it. (I have thought of and designed 3 different paint schemes in the last 2 years. Just need to narrow what I want and then get the money to do it!)

The headlights will be covered. But since it's a screen mesh type material, I am still trying to figure out how to cover the buldge of the projection headlight without it looking bad.

All the windows are factory tinted right now. The door windows are going to have 20% added and all 3 of the back windows are getting 2.5% limo tint.

As for the wheels, they already have 1.25" spacers to bring them out. I can't go wider or I will be up against my fender. As it is, it rubs against the inner fenders when I turn. The dark color I painted the wheels throws off how far out they really are.
clark2334

Post Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:42 pm

I love those wheels! Where did you got them anyway? Well, I'm planning to get new wheels and a DJM suspension Lowering kits. Lowering my truck is my first project for 2011. icon_smile.gif
stasis-

Post Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:34 pm

so how's the ride quality on it?
Tdawgthegreatest

Post Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:42 am

if its anything like mine, its ****
clutch1

Post Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:05 am

It's niceee and bouncy..

Just like his signature.
xracer000

Post Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:09 am

stasis- wrote:
so how's the ride quality on it?

If you have ever been in an S-10 with the ZQ8 sport package (or Xtreme), they are rough ride to begin with. With the lowered suspension, it now rides like a go-kart! Plus, it bottoms out on the center cross mount of the frame, which is about 2 inches lower then the rest of the frame because it holds a bearing for the multi-piece driveshaft.
But it does make it interestingly fun to drive! Especially since I changed to 18 inch all-seasons and took it out of storage late last week to get an e-test and re-new my plates, so I have been driving it it some weather conditions that it shouldn't see! Right now, it is about a foot deep in snow in the driveway.
pOrk

Post Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:21 pm

The cross member is NOT 2 inches below the frame
Tdawgthegreatest

Post Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:32 pm

pOrk wrote:
The cross member is NOT 2 inches below the frame

Yeah, mines not. If anything its even with it, or higher than the frame.
Mine bottoms out on the axle in the back. But only If I have my dirtbike in the back.
xracer000

Post Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:07 am

As you see, I have the Wings West ground effects that covers my frame rails, but when you look at my truck from a distance, you can still see the cross member under the kit. The bearing mount cross member is lower on all 3 of my S series trucks (1 is a '99 GMC and 2 are '00 Chevy's). That is why the companies that offer lowering and bag kits off a flat mounted replacement for the cross member! But the old one must be torch cut and the new one welded back into place - a little too much money spent for me. Besides, it only really bottomed out with the 16" stocks. Now that I have the 18"s, it takes an extremely major speed bump or dip to bottom out.
Tdawgthegreatest

Post Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:59 pm

xracer000 wrote:
Tdawgthegreatest wrote:

Even my stock headlights didn't want to fit right. There were always gaps between them and the fenders. I did a fast alignment on them, so they look off right now.

I thought the same thing, I've had my truck for 4 years, and I just NOW installed them right.

There are two little tabs on the BOTTOM of the back piece, that go into two little tabs in the core support.
xracer000

Post Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:30 am

Tdawgthegreatest wrote:
I thought the same thing, I've had my truck for 4 years, and I just NOW installed them right.

There are two little tabs on the BOTTOM of the back piece, that go into two little tabs in the core support.

I get the 2 tabs in the core support fine. It just seems that when I adjust the alignment screws to what appears to be correct, the headlights look out of place. When I adjust them to fit properly, I can't see anything on the road. It's a lose/lose situation. And now that I have the projections, I am having an even harder time getting the lights aimed properly! At least the HIDs are bright enough that even if they are not aimed right, they still light up the road.
xracer000

Post Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:36 am

As a follow-up, I wish the front springs were stiffer. After the winter, the roads and highways are so bad, my truck's front end bounces quite a bit. The rear suspension is fairly tight, but the front tires are bottoming out against the top of the inner fenders. (I currently have larger all-seasons tires mounted on custom wheels to drive in the snow - not the wheels and tires in the pic.)
Toastr

Post Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:47 pm

I'd look more into shocks with different valving than the springs to be honest... Made a big difference on my Jeep.
The time now is Wed May 23, 2018 11:07 pm
Page 1 of 1