Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

2008 Nissan Maxima SE Totaled?

Author
Message
bakeradiosk8er16

Joined: Sep 05 2008
Posts: 83
Location: Dallas, Texas


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:08 am

On thanksgiving I had a pretty bad accident in my moms 08 Maxima and I wanted to see if you guys could maybe tell me if the car might be totaled or will it be fixed.

First I'll share what happened. I live in the Irving, TX which is right outside of Dallas and was driving home from my grandparents to my parents house. I waited for a truck to turn right then I turned left onto the same street (It is a one way street). About 100 feet after that there is a McDonalds on the left. I was just about to pass the truck when he decided to turn into the McDonalds from the right lane he clipped my rear passenger door and spun me out leading me to breaking rear axle on the drivers side, the curtain airbags on the driver side deployed and also the airbag in my seat on my left arm side deployed. The front tire went up on the curb as well and bounced back off when I hit the fire hydrant later. I am going to post some pictures later on today of the damage from the day of the accident of just the drivers side and also from the day after once I went to look at the car at the dealership.

I am looking to see if any one knows if the car will be totaled or if it is able to be fixed under the value of the car. It has 54,000 miles on it and I know it's worth $15,500 in excellent condition which is highly unlikely due to the high mileage. My mom doesn't want the car back due to all of the damage cause we have had wrecks in our other vehicles and none of them drive the same after wards.

Thanks,
bakeradiosk8er16
PwrRngr

Joined: Jul 19 2007
Posts: 4407


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:34 am

Hard to tell without detailed pictures.
banned from SG

Joined: Jul 01 2003
Posts: 5127


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:10 am

Insurance company would be able to answer that better than us.
PwrRngr

Joined: Jul 19 2007
Posts: 4407


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:00 am

banned from SG wrote:
Insurance company would be able to answer that better than us.

Ultimately insurance is the one who's going to make the call and actually matter. People online can give their opinion, but the reality is that the insurance company makes the call. Just because you want it totaled dosn't mean anything.
Moss

Joined: Mar 23 2004
Posts: 6436


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:07 pm

I lent my crystal ball to big foot.
Tat2Dragons

Joined: Jan 21 2007
Posts: 3404
Location: Baltimore Maryland


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:36 pm

Moss wrote:
I lent my crystal ball to big foot.
^^ icon_lol.gif

Damn! if only I hadn't misplaced my Magic 8 ball I'd be able to help you out. icon_smile.gif


Just a guess, but from what you've described, it sounds like it may be considered totaled. icon_neutral.gif
Ryu

Joined: Dec 31 2005
Posts: 2479


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:22 pm

bakeradiosk8er16 wrote:
On thanksgiving I had a pretty bad accident in my moms 08 Maxima and I wanted to see if you guys could maybe tell me if the car might be totaled or will it be fixed.

First I'll share what happened. I live in the Irving, TX which is right outside of Dallas and was driving home from my grandparents to my parents house. I waited for a truck to turn right then I turned left onto the same street (It is a one way street). About 100 feet after that there is a McDonalds on the left. I was just about to pass the truck when he decided to turn into the McDonalds from the right lane he clipped my rear passenger door and spun me out leading me to breaking rear axle on the drivers side, the curtain airbags on the driver side deployed and also the airbag in my seat on my left arm side deployed. The front tire went up on the curb as well and bounced back off when I hit the fire hydrant later. I am going to post some pictures later on today of the damage from the day of the accident of just the drivers side and also from the day after once I went to look at the car at the dealership.

I am looking to see if any one knows if the car will be totaled or if it is able to be fixed under the value of the car. It has 54,000 miles on it and I know it's worth $15,500 in excellent condition which is highly unlikely due to the high mileage. My mom doesn't want the car back due to all of the damage cause we have had wrecks in our other vehicles and none of them drive the same after wards.

Thanks,
bakeradiosk8er16


Sounds like you just have **** luck. Better luck in the future.
Tdawgthegreatest

Joined: Jul 22 2007
Posts: 5093
Location: Florence, Oregon


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:01 pm

Probably Totaled, but you never know what claim/total adjuster is going to do.
I paid $7000 for my truck, and when it got stolen, the estimate for fixing was $5300 bucks. And the guy wrote it off, and they fixed it.
xracer000

Joined: Sep 27 2006
Posts: 305
Location: Ontario, Canada


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:36 am

I live in Ontario Canada, and if I remember correctly, I think if the repair amount is over 60% (or maybe 70%) of the value of the vehicle, it's declared a write-off.
corvettecrazy

Joined: Dec 17 2003
Posts: 4357
Location: moved (twice)


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:56 pm

How do you break a rear axle on a front wheel drive car?

:bigeyes:
02BlueStang

Joined: Dec 13 2004
Posts: 4757


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:42 pm

If your airbags deployed good chance the insurance company will total it out....each bag is around $2000 if I remember correctly and if the vehicle was hit hard enough to deploy them the insurance company won't waste their time as it could lead to more problems down the road.
PwrRngr

Joined: Jul 19 2007
Posts: 4407


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:01 pm

02BlueStang wrote:
If your airbags deployed good chance the insurance company will total it out....each bag is around $2000 if I remember correctly and if the vehicle was hit hard enough to deploy them the insurance company won't waste their time as it could lead to more problems down the road.

Damn that's expensive. New airbags on my buddy's NewEdge Mustang were only $800 total for both of them.
ChevyCaprice9C1

Joined: Jan 18 2008
Posts: 2239
Location: trenton ohio


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:39 pm

yeah i will tell you i have worked with my dad who is a automotive inspector and if the car has had a air bad deployment especially the side curtains the insurance company will total it but i mean its hard to say without seeing pics of the car
bakeradiosk8er16

Joined: Sep 05 2008
Posts: 83
Location: Dallas, Texas


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:18 am

Well thanks for the info. We heard back from the insurance company and it was totaled out. Weird thing is they are paying off our note even with the rest of the note from our previous car on it. I'm not complaining just thought that was weird













02BlueStang

Joined: Dec 13 2004
Posts: 4757


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:11 pm

the rear axle is....gone....yea, it wa def totaled
Tat2Dragons

Joined: Jan 21 2007
Posts: 3404
Location: Baltimore Maryland


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:06 am

bakeradiosk8er16 wrote:
Well thanks for the info. We heard back from the insurance company and it was totaled out. Weird thing is they are paying off our note even with the rest of the note from our previous car on it. I'm not complaining just thought that was weird

Damn! that looks worse than I thought it would, I can see why they would of totaled it.icon_eek.gif

About them paying it off...well if you had a loan on the Maxima you would of had to have full coverage insurance, so really they have to pay it off. I'm not sure what you mean about paying off the rest of the note on a previous car. Was this other vehicle totaled out as well?
Tdawgthegreatest

Joined: Jul 22 2007
Posts: 5093
Location: Florence, Oregon


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:41 am

Yeah, the back door/fender alone would probably total it.
02BlueStang

Joined: Dec 13 2004
Posts: 4757


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:38 pm

Tat2Dragons wrote:
bakeradiosk8er16 wrote:
Well thanks for the info. We heard back from the insurance company and it was totaled out. Weird thing is they are paying off our note even with the rest of the note from our previous car on it. I'm not complaining just thought that was weird

Damn! that looks worse than I thought it would, I can see why they would of totaled it.icon_eek.gif

About them paying it off...well if you had a loan on the Maxima you would of had to have full coverage insurance, so really they have to pay it off. I'm not sure what you mean about paying off the rest of the note on a previous car. Was this other vehicle totaled out as well?


My guess is when they purchased the vehicle the rolled their old car loan into the new loan and that is what he is talking about...so technically the insurance company is still only paying off the car that they were covering, but to him it includes the price of both vehicles.
Tat2Dragons

Joined: Jan 21 2007
Posts: 3404
Location: Baltimore Maryland


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:30 pm

^^Gotcha
Kindschi

Joined: Oct 09 2008
Posts: 1458
Location: St Louis Missouri


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:40 pm

Tat2Dragons wrote:

About them paying it off...well if you had a loan on the Maxima you would of had to have full coverage insurance, so really they have to pay it off.


Full coverage does not always pay the car off. Most insurance companies only covers its present value which everyone knows drops instantly as soon as you sign the dotted line... Thats why you should always buy "Gap" insurance.. it covers the grey area between what your piece is worth and whats left on the loan.
The time now is Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:47 pm
Page 1 of 1