Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

How do I light up a glass shelf?

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:21 pm

Can anyone please guide me as to which led lights I would need to purchase to arrive at this effect in the picture below. I would be making up a wood cabinet with glass shelves and would only want to light up the back of the shelf. I would have 4 glass shelves that are 14.5" X 3.5" and the thickness would be around 1/4". The diagram is for reference only as the glass shelf will not extend as much as shown. The glass itself would be recessed into the cabinet wall of the cabinet on the sides and back. I was thinking natural white in color but having them change color could be an option. I know I need a 12 volt adaptor, but what amperage would I need for 4 sets of led's that are approximately 14" in length each?

This will be my first attempt at working with led's but hopefully not my last.

bad venge

Post Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:09 pm

I'd use the flexible strip cut to length ...Hmmm can't find it anymore (used to have rolls)
route into the rear a slot thick enough to fit the strip and center it in the shelf.
I'm not sure on current draw on 14" of strip.
Guess you need to get the 12"and center it on the shelf
My Dream

Post Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:37 pm

Thanks for the reply bad venge:

I'll try to do a search tomorrow on the flexable trip myself.
Placing a groove (router) is easy to do, I just need to determine the width based on the type of led I decide to use.
I would need a quantity of 4 x 12" based on 4 shelves therefore the amperage would have to be determined based on a 48" total length. I was hoping a 12v 2 amp adaptor would be enough without creating too much of a load on the adaptor.

EDIT:
I would also want it switched, therefore I wonder if it would be best to place a switch inline (between adaptor and led) or have the 120v receptacle (adaptor plugs into) switched.

I also want this cabinet in a bathroom therefore high humidity is a factor in my selection.
Tdawgthegreatest

Post Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:05 pm

the basic, cheapest power adapter from here would be plenty enough to power 4 12" LED strips.
I had one running my IceLed Underglow kit for a LONG time, which probably wasn't safe, but it worked.

Just get some waterproof (millioncolor) Or single color LED strips (https://www.oznium.com/flexible-led-strips/thin-waterproof-ribbon)
PwrRngr

Post Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:55 am

Personally, I would use the ribbon LED strips as they are MUCH thinner than the flexible LED strips.
My Dream

Post Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:16 am

The entry level 12V adaptor sold here are 2 amp so I'll assume that's what you're refering to. I've decided to add another 6" of led underneath the kickplate of the vanity which would make the total length to 10' which I understand is still compatible with the 2 amp adaptor so I'm set there.

I'm not familiar with the "millioncolor" led's are they a specific colour or design, or both?

Ok, I've got 2 votes for flexible and one for ribbon, any other's have an opinion?

Has anyone on this forum attempted this build yet?
bad venge

Post Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:37 am

The Million color need a controller https://www.oznium.com/led-controllers/rgb-led-controller (also known as RGB LED's) This will scroll through a million colors by changing voltage to the Red/Green/Blue LED's mounted together
My Dream

Post Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:12 pm

Are members suggesting I get the "Pre-wired Ribbon LED Strips" in 12" length and connect them together for each glass shelf?

As for the flexible, I notice the "Flexible Home LED Strips" don't come in 12" length and they can't be cut to length and reconnected together.
bad venge

Post Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:03 am

OZ used to sell rolls that could be cut to lenght every three leds . ($120 for rolls) I'd be willing to part with them for 1/2 price / new never opened.

I have rolls in Green And Amber from OZ You can cut them and solder wires on, I bought for a project and then went with Pirhana bars instead.
Tdawgthegreatest

Post Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:12 am

"Pre-wired Ribbon LED Strips" in 12" length, connecting the end connectors together would be the easiest for your application.

They are super thin, flexible, really REALLY bright. I have 14ft of them in my house right now.
PwrRngr

Post Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:52 am

My Dream wrote:
Are members suggesting I get the "Pre-wired Ribbon LED Strips" in 12" length and connect them together for each glass shelf?

As for the flexible, I notice the "Flexible Home LED Strips" don't come in 12" length and they can't be cut to length and reconnected together.

I recommend you DO NOT get "Flexible Home LED Strips". The issue I have with those for your application is the thickness. You said you were going to have the shelves recessed in the groove. You were also going to put the LED strips in that same groove. If you look at the technical data on the flexible LED strips, they are just over 1/2" thick. I don't know what size wood you're using, but it's most likely 3/4" or less. Making a groove for the shelve and flex strips will take up almost 3/4".

I recommend you buy the "Tri-Chip Ribbon Strips" or the "Ribbon LED Strips".
https://www.oznium.com/home-led/bright-flexible-led-ribbon-strips
https://www.oznium.com/flexible-led-strips/led-ribbon

They are both 0.09" thick and shouldn't be a problem. Personally, I would buy the Tri-Chip Ribbon Strips if I wanted white. If I wanted colors, I would obviously choose the regular ribbon strips.
540355655@qq.com

Post Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:10 am

Why not use optical fiber? it just 0.5 - 3mm.
PwrRngr

Post Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:57 am

540355655@qq.com wrote:
Why not use optical fiber? it just 0.5 - 3mm.

Fiber optics (I think this is what you mean) only light from the end. You would need a LOT of them and they are very delicate (they are glass).

In this situation size isn't the only concern, he wants some good light output as well.
My Dream

Post Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:00 pm

bad venge wrote:
OZ used to sell rolls that could be cut to length every three leds . ($120 for rolls) I'd be willing to part with them for 1/2 price / new never opened.
I have Amber from OZ You can cut them and solder wires on, I bought for a project and then went with Pirhana bars instead.
If that's the route I decide to go with I'd be interested although I don't have an specs on those lights as well as length etc. therefore it would be hard to compare. Shipping costs I would imagine would be very reasonable to the US? Any idea how I could determine the color temperature of the amber led's you have?
Tdawgthegreatest wrote:
"Pre-wired Ribbon LED Strips" in 12" length, connecting the end connectors together would be the easiest for your application.
Are they the ones PwrRangr has listed?
PwrRngr wrote:
The issue I have with those for your application is the thickness. You said you were going to have the shelves recessed in the groove. You were also going to put the LED strips in that same groove. If you look at the technical data on the flexible LED strips, they are just over 1/2" thick. I don't know what size wood you're using, but it's most likely 3/4" or less. Making a groove for the shelve and flex strips will take up almost 3/4".

I recommend you buy the "Tri-Chip Ribbon Strips" or the "Ribbon LED Strips".
https://www.oznium.com/flexible-led-strips/led-ribbon

They are both 0.09" thick and shouldn't be a problem. Personally, I would buy the Tri-Chip Ribbon Strips if I wanted white. If I wanted colors, I would obviously choose the regular ribbon strips.
I also had the same thoughts and would have used 3/4" wood as you suggested. I would only use the led's at the rear therefore the sides would have a substantial grab on the glass and make up for the lack of support along the back. 1/4" still is sufficient considering the solid side support. Good point all the same.

I do however like the idea of the Million color effect and was also thinking of the 1 Foot RGB (Million) $15.49 in which I'd need a qty of 4 (1 per shelf) have them linked together via supplied cable and include the Million Color LED Controller $19.99 as well as the 12V 2 amp adaptor and I should be set???

Anything I'm missing other then a rocker switch if I decide not to switch the receptacle on/off?

Last edited by My Dream on Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total
PwrRngr

Post Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:19 pm

My Dream wrote:
I do however like the idea of the Million color effect and was also thinking of the 1 Foot RGB (Million) $15.49 in which I'd need a qty of 4 (1 per shelf) have them linked together via supplied cable and include the Million Color LED Controller $19.99 as well as the 12V 2 amp adaptor and I should be set???

Anything I'm missing other then a rocker switch if I decide not to switch the receptacle on/off?

Yeah, you could be set. I would throw a fuse in there to be on the safe side and if you wanted a switch like you mentioned.
bad venge

Post Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:29 am

My Dream wrote:
bad venge wrote:
OZ used to sell rolls that could be cut to length every three leds . ($120 for rolls) I'd be willing to part with them for 1/2 price / new never opened.
I have Amber from OZ You can cut them and solder wires on, I bought for a project and then went with Pirhana bars instead.
If that's the route I decide to go with I'd be interested although I don't have an specs on those lights as well as length etc. therefore it would be hard to compare. Shipping costs I would imagine would be very reasonable to the US? Any idea how I could determine the color temperature of the amber led's you have?

https://www.oznium.com/flexible-led-strips/led-ribbon They look like this but they are more encased in silicone. Unsure how I can get color temp, They look like car turn signals basically
$5 to ship in the US Rolls are 16 feet long and the entire roll only pulls 2 amps so you can use the rest under the cabinets , under the base, around the mirror , I lit up my shower door (glass)
Tdawgthegreatest

Post Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:39 am

I have 5 full rolls of Millioncolor Waterproof Ribbon strips XD
My Dream

Post Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:17 am

bad venge wrote:
https://www.oznium.com/flexible-led-strips/led-ribbon They look like this but they are more encased in silicone. $5 to ship in the US Rolls are 16 feet long and the entire roll only pulls 2 amps.
How about $60.00 including shipping to Niagara Falls NY 14305 and it has to arrive by Dec10th then I'll take it. I'll assume it comes with a connection harness?
Tdawgthegreatest wrote:
I have 5 full rolls of Millioncolor Waterproof Ribbon strips XD
Are saying it's up for sale, if so can you give me more details such as length, connections price including shipping to 14305 by Dec 10th?
bad venge

Post Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:16 am

I'm leaving for Vacation , I'm in Ohio but unless you pay before noon I can't get it to the post office and there is no connection harness since it is cuttable you have to solder to the connections
My Dream

Post Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:21 am

bad venge wrote:
I'm leaving for Vacation , I'm in Ohio but unless you pay before noon I can't get it to the post office and there is no connection harness since it is cuttable you have to solder to the connections
Please give me paypal info and I will forward $60.00 payment as soon as I receive info.
Tdawgthegreatest

Post Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:29 pm

Mine are not for sale, sorry.
I got them from an Oznium "Garage Sale" for $50 bucks. And they all work great!

Get some of these if you want single color, and/or they are the right length
https://www.oznium.com/flexible-led-strips/flexible-tri-chip-ribbon-leds

Or get these, if you need a more "Custom" Length
https://www.oznium.com/flexible-led-strips/thin-waterproof-ribbon
My Dream

Post Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:43 pm

Any idea what the average time it takes to receive an order from Oznium with there standard shipping.

Thanks for the information Tdawgthegreatest, I'm starting to like the oportunity to have a choice of colors therefore the second choice of waterproof million seem a nice option.
corvettecrazy

Post Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:58 pm

My Dream wrote:
Any idea what the average time it takes to receive an order from Oznium with there standard shipping.

Fast enough that unless you need it the next day it would be dumb to pick any other option.
My Dream

Post Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:09 pm

So if I order it on Monday 6th I'll get it by Friday 10th with standard $4.20 shipping? I'm going to be at Darren's place on Friday is the reason I ask Corvettecrazy.
corvettecrazy

Post Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:14 pm

Since most items are shipped priority mail, I would say you likely would. Call in the morning and ask if you are worried about it.
Tdawgthegreatest

Post Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:56 pm

When they were based out of California, I usually recieved my Orders within 2 days of ordering. But I live in Oregon.

Depends on where you are. They are based in Colorado now.
My Dream

Post Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:18 am

Order was placed yesterday as follows with priority shipping:

Product Description Style Quantity Price Total
Pre-wired Waterproof Ribbon LED Strips 1 Foot, RGB (Million) 6 16.49 98.94
Freedom RGB Controller 1 $69.99 $69.99

Although I have the 12v 2 amp adaptor I just realized I forgot to get a junction box to connect the adaptor to the controler, I guess I'll have to go to Radio Shack and then the male end instead??
Tdawgthegreatest

Post Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:07 am

I hardwired mine to the power supply. *shrug*
I wouldn't recommend that without a fuse, as it might break.
My Dream

Post Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:48 am

You hardwired your led strip to the line out on the 12v adaptor Tdawgthegreatest? When you say "as it might break" are you refering to not protecting the led's against blow out? If so then what is the rule of thumb re size of fuse vs. amount of led's.

I have no problems soldering and heat shrinking (hard wire) the adaptor to the inline fuse, then the controller, then to the led's.
My Dream

Post Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:11 pm

I placed a 12" stip of led at the edge of a 3/16" thick X 6" sheet of clear glass to determine it's effect and it wasn't as bright as I had seen in examples on the net. I think my problem might be that the glass isn't thick enough. Anyone have any ideas how much thicker the glass needs to be to get a reasonable effect? I was thinking maybe 5/16".
bad venge

Post Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:40 pm

Sometimes SANDING the outer edges will increase the effect
Tdawgthegreatest

Post Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:45 pm

Yeah, sanding the edges you want visibly lit up will greatly increase the "brightness"

The ones you posted above look like they are sanded.

And what I meant by "Hardwired them" was, I hardwired my MillionColor controller to the powersupply. Just straight up + to +, and - to -.

I suggest adding a FUSE when/if you do that, so that if it comes unplugged or something, you don't fry your controller. But mine hasnt went out yet.
PwrRngr

Post Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:46 am

My Dream wrote:
I placed a 12" stip of led at the edge of a 3/16" thick X 6" sheet of clear glass to determine it's effect and it wasn't as bright as I had seen in examples on the net. I think my problem might be that the glass isn't thick enough. Anyone have any ideas how much thicker the glass needs to be to get a reasonable effect? I was thinking maybe 5/16".

Keep in mind that nearly all photos of lighting like that is overexposed. This makes the lighting appear brighter in the picture than it is in real life.
My Dream

Post Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:13 am

bad venge wrote:
Sometimes SANDING the outer edges will increase the effect
Now ya see I would have thought the exact opposite, if it's not sanded then it would create a clear path straight through. Having the edges sanded would somewhat diffuse the amount of light that was being emitted through the glass. By the way, I've tried sanding glass before and it's not that easy but worth a try. Maybe I was using the wrong sandpaper, or maybe I should be using something like emery cloth instead?
Tdawgthegreatest wrote:
what I meant by "Hardwired them" was, I hardwired my MillionColor controller to the power supply. Just straight up + to +, and - to -.
I suggest adding a FUSE when/if you do that, so that if it comes unplugged or something, you don't fry your controller.
I just assumed "Hardwired" meant the ol, solder and heat shrink directly. Based on what was suggested earlier the inline fuse will be added with maybe a 5 amp fuse for 8' string. Is the controller that easy to fry?
PwrRngr wrote:
Keep in mind that nearly all photos of lighting like that is overexposed. This makes the lighting appear brighter in the picture than it is in real life.
I can see that in the photo the surrounding light is dim which enhances the effect but the shelf below is definitely bright. I'm hoping I bought the right led's from oznium which I believe I did; now it's a matter if finding the right type of glass. I don't want to use Plexiglas as I'm sure it will eventually scratch and this is a permanent install.

Last edited by My Dream on Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:32 am, edited 2 times in total
PwrRngr

Post Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:01 am

My Dream wrote:
I can see that in the photo the surrounding light is dim which enhances the effect but the shelf below is definitely bright. I'm hoping I bought the right led's from oznium which I believe I did; now it's a matter if finding the right type of glass. I don't want to use Plexiglas as I'm sure it will eventually scratch and this is a permanent install.

[/img]

I don't know if I agree on that photo. From the looks that picture was most likely taken in complete darkness except for the shelf. It's fairly noticeable due to the shadows (or lack of), the tops of the bottles are dark, and bottom of the bottles are so overexposed it just becomes one white mass (this is overexposed so the rest of the picture can be viewed). If the shelf was exposed correctly, the rest of the photo would be way too dark (or they would have to use another light source).

All I'm saying is that pictures of lights almost never turn out like they look in person.

But sanding the edge will help give a brighter appearance. It will diffuse the light coming out of the edge.
bad venge

Post Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:19 am

If you look it appears the ENTIRE shelf is frosted/sanded

I have used a sandblaster to etch the edges or I've even seen the spray on glass frosting used
My Dream

Post Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:19 am

bad venge wrote:
I have used a sandblaster to etch the edges or I've even seen the spray on glass frosting used

Did you use glass bead when you sandblasted the glass?

I tend to see quite a few glass shelves that are frosted. I wonder if it's done so that the led doesn't bleed out.
Tdawgthegreatest

Post Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:19 pm

I have no Idea if the controller is that easy to fry. Its just always good to use extra safety so you don't accidently break a $70 dollar controller.
bad venge

Post Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:31 pm

I used play sand and vinyl to mask it off and used some plexi to clamp on either side
The time now is Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:11 pm
Page 1 of 1