Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

Tacoma dome light

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:38 pm

I installed a 16 led flex into my dome light. When the door is opened, the light flickers. If you reach up and turn on one of the map lights, the dome light goes to full illumination. Checked polarity. Normal bulb works fine.
2002 Toyota Tacoma.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jeff
bad venge

Post Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:15 pm

Check ground The door pin switches might be a higher resistance and not getting a good 12 volts Compare the voltage when flickering versus switch on
Taco Jeff

Post Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:08 pm

Ok, with the led light in, door open, engine off, I am getting .31 volts. Start truck and voltage goes to 12.86 and light goes bright. Then candescent bulb back in, door open, engine off, I get 12.86 volts with a normal light. It has to be something with the resistance or lack there of in the led. What would a resistor on the negative side of the lamp do? How big?
coppertop4646

Post Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:20 pm

I had a similar problem with my dome lights and I installed a 1 watt 100 ohm resistor on the driver side bulb and it fixed the problem. And if your light is a festoon bulb then just solder one end of the resistor to one side of the bulb and the other side of the resistor to the other side of the bulb. If adding a resistor doesn't work you could just run your own 12v line up to the lights. That's what I had to do with my visor lights.
Taco Jeff

Post Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:53 pm

So, let me get this straight. The resistor would go on the hot side of the bulb? It appears that you are on to something because the only difference is the lack of resistance in the LED light. I think the problem is that the dimmer for the dome light is not picking up resistance at the bulb so it won't go to full voltage. And when you turn on the map lights, the ground in that circuit which is shared with the " door open" circuit does not go through the dimming circuit. It is done with a common hot lead with two separate ground wires, one door open and one light on. So would I put the resistor on the single hot lead or one on each of the grounding circuits?
Thank you very much for your help.

Jeff
coppertop4646

Post Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:13 pm

That's how I connected the resistor to my light, so if you wanted to connect your resistor to operate in the same manner then connect one end to the power line and the other end to the ground line.
Taco Jeff

Post Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:07 pm

Thanks!
The time now is Tue May 22, 2018 12:57 am
Page 1 of 1