Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

Round Rocker Switch

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:44 pm

Okay so i have a 2009 Mercury Mountaineer. My plan is to put one LED flexible strip under each strip and connect that to one round rocker switch and then on a seperate switch, hook up 4 superflux pre wired LED's and have those connected to a music interface (All from oznium.com) Number One, is that possible? number two, im not sure where to put the two switches, if anyone with the same type of car could give me some insight on how to do so? and third, is there anyway i can have that all hooked up to one switch but still achieve the same goal i had with two switches? Any help would be appreciated!
coppertop4646

Post Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:33 pm

If you put it all on one switch then the LED Strips and the Superflux LEDs will be either on/off at the same time whereas with two separate switches you could have only the LED Strips on with the Superflux LEDs off or the Superflux LEDs on with the LED Strips off or both on at the same time. In short, two switches will give you more options. To connect it all to one switch just wire it like this.
As far as mounting it goes it depends on if you want to drill a mounting hole for the switch or try to find an existing hole
And make sure to add a fuse on the "12V Power Source" wire and also make sure the "Power Source" and "Power Out" wires are the same or lower gauge wire than the wires on the music interface and LEDs.
FooFoo502

Post Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:09 am

sure you can do it all on one switch, using a zener diode between the contacts. I have the nav lights and anchor lights on my boat hooked up two a Carling 2-way switch, with a zener between the two contacts so that when I hit the Anchor switch, only the stern all-around light comes on, and when I select Nav lights, then both the stern all around and the front red/green navigational come on. if you want one or the other to light up, then just use a single 2-way switch. Here's an example

http://rocker-switches.carlingtech.com/illuminated-rocker-switch__37.asp
CDiGiralomo

Post Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:14 pm

Coppertop4646, How do i connect all of those wires from the led strips to that "power out" line? It will be four LED flexible strips into the power out line and then the superflux to the music interface (Two of them)
Also, the car came with a couple of pre drilled holes that have caps on them now, they are there in every car but if you choose a factory accessory they install it in one of those holes, im wondering if anybody knows of a good switch i could use that would fit in any of the following dimensions:
15mmx40mm
25mmx30mm
32mmx30mm
30mmx40mm
Those are the different sizes there are, any help would be great!
coppertop4646

Post Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:54 pm

I would recommend wiring it like this

The blue dots on the "Power Out" wire are where you would splice the power wire from the accessory into the "Power Out" wire.
As far as finding a switch that fits those dimensions, your best bet would probably going to a shop near you like Radio Shack where you can find a switch you think might work, try it, and if it doesn't fit you can always return it.
CDiGiralomo

Post Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:22 pm

Sorry I didn't specify in my previous post, I want four led strips that will just go into the power source with a simple on off switch and then 2 superflux LEDS that go into a music interface, so just the superflux's are sound responsive and the led strips are not. Would I just so the same with the led strip and then hook up the music interface to the power out and then plug the superflux lights into the interface? Sorry for the confusion
FooFoo502

Post Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:06 am

are you wanting them to come on at the same time? You can wire the music interface between the switch and the LEDs with no problems if that's what you mean.
CDiGiralomo

Post Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:29 am

I'm fine with them coming on at the same time but I want the superflux LED's to be hooked up to the music interface and the others just stay solid
coppertop4646

Post Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:26 pm

CDiGiralomo wrote:
I'm fine with them coming on at the same time but I want the superflux LED's to be hooked up to the music interface and the others just stay solid

The music interface will have a 12V in line and a 12V out line. You will splice the 12V in line from the music interface with the "Power Out" line from your switch. You will then splice the 12V out line from the music interface with the power wire or positive terminal on each of the Superflux LEDs. If you are going to use the music interface I linked below then I would recommend wiring both of the Superflux LEDs to one music interface that way both LEDs would be synchronized perfectly (with two music interfaces, the two microphones would not be in the same exact spot so they would interpret the sound waves differently and each LED would then flash to a similar but slightly different beat). The wiring diagram I linked to below will allow the 4 LED Strips to remain solid while the Superflux LEDs will flash to the beat of your music.
https://www.oznium.com/led-controllers/cathode-music

CDiGiralomo

Post Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:33 pm

Perfect, thats exactly what i wanted. Thanks for the help!
The time now is Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:42 am
Page 1 of 1