Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

UV vs Purple in color

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:06 pm

Hey everyone, this is my first post here. Just curious, I just ordered two 12" strips of the waterproof ribbons in UV. I'm installing some footwell lights for my friend. She said she wanted purple, but they don't come in purple so I ordered UV.

How does UV compare to Purple as far as color? And is it like a blacklight? Will it make all the lint and other things glow? or is it just "UV in color"? If it's the wrong shade of purple, or not bright enough, or makes our teeth glow...i guess i'll just find another use for them and buy the purple cathodes...

I mainly only want replies from people who have actually ordered and used Oznium LED Ribbons in UV. I don't want speculation, because I've already got that in my own noggin.
jdusty914

Post Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:09 pm

They are exactly like blacklights. UV is blacklight. they will give you a little bit of glow, but not as much as the purple cathodes. I ran 2 sets of dual cathodes in purple under my seats for a while and they were super bright. UV will work for the purpleish glow, but will not be a bright purple by any means. Hope this helps you.
bad venge

Post Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:20 pm

Yes it will show white lint like mad (especially white dog hair)... there are black light floor matts too that show up well under the UV light.

Purple LED's don't really exist so you have to go to the UV unless you go to the cathodes
chadbaldwin

Post Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:52 pm

ya, i just called and canceled the order. I'm gonna order either a couple sets of the 4" purple cathosdes or the RGB LED strips and set them to purple...i'm more confident on getting the color right with the cathodes though.
bad venge

Post Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:04 pm

Cathodes are BRIGHT purple .... I'd go with the 12's for footwell glow 4's look spotty
wolf36

Post Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:43 pm

I got a pretty sweet purple on a car i did using red and blue leds. I would assume the further away the leds are from the surface they shine onto the better it will look, the light from the different angles will mix better at further distances.
wolf36

Post Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:47 pm

Also i ordered 2 sets of cathodes purple and uv. The purple I thought was too pale, and the uv actually gave me better results for my application, in a xbox 360.
The time now is Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:59 pm
Page 1 of 1