Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

Solution for pesky bank tokens

Author
Owner, Oznium.com

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:13 pm

You've probably seen these bank tokens before. The little physical device that generates a number for extra bank security.

I want to have them accessible 24/7 without having to carry them with me.

Solution: Use a robotic button pusher hooked up to an arduino with ethernet shield. And an IP camera directly above. And some OCR software to decode the number.

Made this mock-up with a $10 servo and some tape. Just worried that the servo struggles a bit with leverage.

Anyone with a machine shop able to build a better fixture to hold the servo and token steadily in place? Willing to pay a few hundred $$.

User posted image

VIDEO:
thumpinbass134

Post Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:35 am

from the video, i think if the stand/base/mount..w.e u want to call it, the servo should be fine. which hitech servo is that?
corvettecrazy

Post Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:17 am

That'd be an easy afternoon in a shop.

When do you need it by?
Phil
Owner, Oznium.com

Post Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:19 am

I don't even know what servo it is, just picked up the cheapest one at a toy helicopter shop.

I don't have a deadline for it, but ready to start right away.
Tim

Post Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:59 pm

Uh, a bank token?
Phil
Owner, Oznium.com

Post Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:10 pm

The ones I've got are basic. Just a single button and a little screen. Push the button and the screen displays a seemingly random 6-digit number. There's an algorithm inside though that generates the number. And it has to match up with what the bank has on file.

---

A security token (or sometimes a hardware token, hard token, authentication token, USB token, cryptographic token[1], or key fob) may be a physical device that an authorized user of computer services is given to ease authentication. The term may also refer to software tokens.

Security tokens are used to prove one's identity electronically (as in the case of a customer trying to access their bank account). The token is used in addition to or in place of a password to prove that the customer is who they claim to be. The token acts like an electronic key to access something.

Hardware tokens are typically small enough to be carried in a pocket or purse and often are designed to attach to the user's keychain. Some may store cryptographic keys, such as a digital signature, or biometric data, such as a fingerprint minutiae. Some designs feature tamper resistant packaging, while others may include small keypads to allow entry of a PIN or a simple button to start a generating routine with some display capability to show a generated key number. Special designs include a USB connector, RFID functions or Bluetooth wireless interface to enable transfer of a generated key number sequence to a client system.
PwrRngr

Post Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:59 pm

If it was me, I would scrap the servo. Get an electronic switch that's closed instead of the servo. Pull the token apart and wire the switch in place of that button. No servo, no brackets, and removes any possibility of mechanical failure.
Phil
Owner, Oznium.com

Post Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:57 pm

Update:

Tried soldering wires directly to the button contacts on the circuit board, and using a relay to close the circuit. Seems to work well, and avoids having to use a motor.

User posted image
TRogers

Post Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:25 pm

I've never seen one of these. They must be for ultra baller status black card holders like Phil ;)
A-Ray

Post Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:10 pm

TRogers wrote:
I've never seen one of these. They must be for ultra baller status black card holders like Phil ;)

When this thread first started, I had to look them up just to know what they were. I obviously don't have the same ultra baller status that Phil does.
Phil
Owner, Oznium.com

Post Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:52 pm

I guess in the US its only common for business accounts. But pretty common outside the US for even personal accounts.
GoldenRod

Post Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:25 am

Phil wrote:
I guess in the US its only common for business accounts. But pretty common outside the US for even personal accounts.

It's fairly common, actually. There are thousands in use at my job when people need to remotely connect to the office network.
PwrRngr

Post Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:03 pm

Phil wrote:
Update:

Tried soldering wires directly to the button contacts on the circuit board, and using a relay to close the circuit. Seems to work well, and avoids having to use a motor.

User posted image

Now you have a better and more reliable system. Good work!
corvettecrazy

Post Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:17 pm

I have some ideas on how to make it computer controlled but I have been slammed at work this week icon_neutral.gif
The time now is Sun May 27, 2018 12:47 am
Page 1 of 1