Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

LED Wiring... HELP!!

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:06 pm

i bought these 3mm 12v Pre-Wired LED Red Ultra Bright 15,000 mcd lights from www.niktronixonline.com, this GSW-45 rocker switch- Scion OEM style from oznium and this 12v battery holder also from oznium and i was wondering if i could install these together somehow so i would be able to turn the lights on and off with the switch powered by the 12v battery holder instead of a 12v source from my car. [/url]
Phil
Owner, Oznium.com

Post Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:49 pm

Yes of course.

Would be wired the same way as if you were wiring to your car battery.

The LED and switch doesn't know / and or care whether you've got it hooked to a 12 volt car battery, or a smaller 12 volt battery pack.

Depending on your application, you may just find it easier to pull a battery out when you want it to turn off.

If you are putting this in your car, it doesn't make sense why you'd use a battery pack.

That'd be like insisting on showering with 100's of bottles of Evian water when you've got a perfectly good shower head.
nickparkp

Post Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:10 pm

Phil wrote:
Yes of course.

Would be wired the same way as if you were wiring to your car battery.

The LED and switch doesn't know / and or care whether you've got it hooked to a 12 volt car battery, or a smaller 12 volt battery pack.

Depending on your application, you may just find it easier to pull a battery out when you want it to turn off.

If you are putting this in your car, it doesn't make sense why you'd use a battery pack.

That'd be like insisting on showering with 100's of bottles of Evian water when you've got a perfectly good shower head.

What would the wiring look like with the led, switch and the battery pack?
Phil
Owner, Oznium.com

Post Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:49 pm

Please advise whether you purchased the lighted switch, or the non-lighted switch.
Phil
Owner, Oznium.com

Post Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:09 am

Here's both:

User posted image
User posted image
nickparkp

Post Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:51 pm

Thanks for the help!!!
baloogaa

Post Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:41 am

sorry for bringing this back, i was just seaching and this was really helpful.

what amp load would the fuse be? and the switch would be the same correct?
whats the difference between a lighted switch and a non lighted switch?
how would you do this with 2 lights, just twist the ends together and make the connections?
And how would you make the connection between the two negatives
bad venge

Post Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:53 am

Amp fuse would depend on the wires used for connections and how many lights are to be wired up

Switch would be the same as long as it is rated for the load

A lighted switch has a third lug that needs grounded so the light will come on

You can twist the positives together or run the wire to one then over to the other if you want them apart
and ground the negatives to the nearest spot you don't have to ground them together
baloogaa

Post Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:48 pm

So i would wire the third lug into a screw into something metal? Or just a negative wire coming from the battery?

and so my connections would be the same thing as the drawing for the one above, except there will be two positives (one from each light) going into #3, and an extra negative wire going into the connection leading to #4 ( the lights and the battery)
bad venge

Post Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:08 am

Any Negative (in most cars trucks ect ) can be connected directly to any metal of the chassis/dash ect to act as the connection to the negative of the battery
So YES the third (ground Lug) on the switch can be connected to a screw/bolt ect that goes into metal

You can run the positives as two seperate lines , or one line going to one light then attach another wire from that connection to the other light either way will function the same
baloogaa

Post Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:46 am

Ok so, if i go with the non lighted switch, and have pre existing wires, i would just marry the two negatives of the lights to the one pre existing negative wire, and the positive of the light to any lug on the switch?
and than the other lug to the pre eisting positive with extra positive wire i have? Just solder the two together?

Please tell me im right..
bad venge

Post Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:39 pm

I've read it three times and still no idea...
baloogaa

Post Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:49 pm

Sorry i went away for a little bit. I have a non lighted switch, and it only has the 2 lugs.
To put the in line fuse in, if i use wire taps, should i cut the wire, and use two wire taps to connect the in line fuse to the positive wire?
bad venge

Post Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:05 pm

What are you calling wire taps ????
Spade lugs ? 3M Scotchlocks ?
I'd use an add a fuse
baloogaa

Post Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:39 pm

i have an in line fuse, i was just going to use the wires taps (where you insert the wires and use pliers to push down the metal part, then clamp it ) and just insert those into the cut wire.
bad venge

Post Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:56 am

If you use the 3m Scotchlocks you must cut the wire and install those at both ends and jumper the fuse inbetween
The time now is Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:56 am
Page 1 of 1